Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenso

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
In my eyes, this is a very good competitive move on Apple's part. Do consumers suffer? Maybe in the short run. But long term, I've got to believe Apple will have a competitive (if not superior) product. If you really want google maps on your iPhone 5, you can probably get it. In the meantime, people are using Apple Maps. Here are the two possible scenarios that Apple was facing (in my feeble eyes)

Scenario 1: Apple stays with Google until the end of contract. Google and the rest of the world know Apple is working on a mapping project. Google releases Maps app prior end of contract. 80% of Google Maps users download app and continue to use it. Apple Maps has a 20% share and possibly suffers slow, painful death.

Scenario 2: Apple surprises Google, cuts off contract and removes Google Maps from phones. Releases product with bugs. Consumers whine and complain, but use Apple's map app and it gets better while Apple simultaneously makes improvements. This goes on for months while Google, caught off guard, scrambles to release standalone app. By the time Google app comes out, consumers have gotten used to Apple's maps and have noticed improvements. Rumors are leaked regarding upcoming improvements. 50% or more stick with Apple and the Apple maps app is now off and running.

The scenario 2 might be true to apply to some people but I am not using and won't be using Apple's Map app at all until they come up with something competitive. As it stands right now, there is no need for me to use it. If my community where I live is still shown as a plain field (satellite view), even though the community was built and done a year and a half ago, I won't trust Apple's Maps ( I live in the U.S.). Google.maps in home screen is the way to go for me for now, not as good as a native app but I have no choice.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Android phones have had far superior native maps/navigation since day 1, and I agree with the article that the gap was widening with each release. Apple made the right move. They'll get maps right eventually.

It wasn't the right move. What we have now is a public beta (or even alpha in some cases) that you are forced to participate in. I had to borrow my Galaxy Nexus twice to my friends who had upgraded to iOS 6 as they were trying to find something on a map. And I likve in a big city - I can't imagine what people in smaller towns are going through.

However Apple had made the right move by getting their ish together and finally attempting to improve the native Maps app. Things like vector graphics and turn by turn navigations are features that should have been on the iPhone ages ago.

They should also introduce things like offline maps to further decrease the huge gap between what iOS offers and what Android has in terms of maps. However there is no reason to believe that Google will not keep working on keeping the gap big.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
If that's the case then what you do is release the new Maps app along with the old Google Maps (rename the new one to iMap or something) so that people can test the seriously lacking new map app and still be able to actually get somewhere using the old map.

Because no one would use them.

polterbyte

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Brazil
Look at how bad "search" is in Apple Maps. End of story. :rolleyes:

Look at the lack of cut and paste in the original iPhone. End of story? No.

Look at the dismal, tiny, puny 3.5in screens in iPhones after the 4.3in phone was released. End of story? No.

Look at the antenna problems in iPhone 4. End of story? No.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'm also not sure Google is "SCRAMBLING" or would be with the current scenario. No doubt they benefit from being a part of Apple's ecosystem. But I'm sure the negative press Apple is getting is well worth the hit.

Further - no one has any proof of animosity in this decision. Could there be on Apple's side which is why they made this move. Possible. Could Google be pissed that the contract ended early. Possible. But the more likely scenario is that these were calculated business moves which were anticipated given the fact that contract negotiations were already underway regarding renewals.

I also think that sometimes people confuse their own emotions about the companies with what the CEOs and other top brass at these companies actually feel. More often than not - CEOs of various companies don't have such vitriol because business is business. And it's not personal.

Steve might have been the exception to that, of course. But that's a different matter.

Scenario 3 : Apple releases a preview of Apple Maps with all the new features. Leaves the default app to use the old infrastructure until the contract runs out, makes the new preview optional. This doesn't break MAP KIT (why do people keep forgetting about Map Kit ? Don't you guys buy homes, stay fit, have "store location" apps or any other Map Kit enabled app ?). Uses the preview time to start crowd-sourcing and fixing their Maps solution with the bleeding edge crowd that's really into helping them, leaves the other consumers with a functional solution in the mean time.

Of course, that's a win-win scenario, and again, I'm pretty sure it's the one Apple would've picked had they known prior to WWDC that their mapping solution had the problems it has. [ur=http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399]Has as been pointed out though[/url], Apple probably didn't even know their data was in such a bad state before it got into the hands of users.

----------

Bingo. Exactly like they did with Mac OS X before transitionning away from Mac OS 9. And again, this all boils down to Apple's lack of expertise in mapping causing "noob error" on evaluating the readiness of their solution. They probably genuinly thought it was really close to being perfect, at least as far as mapping/POI goes.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Definitely, the app works great. Apple just needs better maps data, or to switch from TomTom maps to a better data source.

This is where I really don't understand what has gone wrong. I have a TomTom satnav for my car and I find it the most reliable digital map program and GPS ever. And yet for some reason, Apple have managed to screw up TomTom's data.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Look at the dismal, tiny, puny 3.5in screens in iPhones after the 4.3in phone was released. End of story? No.

1. A feature is not the same as bad data in a core app
2. a feature isn't the same as bad data in a core app
3. a problem solved with a bumper for those affected is not the same as bad data in a core app

Your analogies aren't remotely relevant.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Just like no one used Mac OS X when Apple released it as an optional OS right ? Right ?

Oh wait, wrong. ;) Plenty of Apple heads would have jumped onto a Maps preview and started giving feedback on day 1.

The more people that use the maps the faster they will get better. I say in a month or two this will be another non-issue.

DRFUMANCHU350

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
How many users out there actually "Have" an issue with the new maps? I've been running it since the Beta was first available and it works for me?!?! Furthermore Apple will resolve any issues out there and it will smoke google maps :)

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I call BS on Google being caught off-guard. They really don't have anyone in the Apple developer program?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The more people that use the maps the faster they will get better. I say in a month or two this will be another non-issue.

No. People started reporting errors as far back as June and those changes/reports/fixes have not yet been integrated. So we're pretty far from "a month or two", it will probably take quite a few years for Apple to "catch up" to Google, which is not an immobile target (they are also still working on their maps solution in the mean time).

Also, "more" doesn't mean better feedback. For one, pissed off users are much less prone to submit feedback and help (I know I would have probably helped with a Maps preview, but with this situation, Apple will not be getting feedback from me at all).

No, seriously, a preview would have probably netted them even better feedback in the end, from users that were participating willingly rather than forcibly. Human nature, people don't like being forced into things and are usually much less cooperative when they are.

Even you must admit as much. Again, I'm sure Apple didn't even know the breadth of problems they faced when they announced at WWDC. Read the blog I posted, he explains why.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
In order of preference best to worst from my experience.

1. google maps on android v1 - first smartphone I had and most reliable, easy to use best looking maps app.

2. Map Quest Free App on iphone. Its pretty good with the last big update now.

3. Old iphone "Maps"

4. New iphone "Maps"

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I call BS on Google being caught off-guard. They really don't have anyone in the Apple developer program?

People in the ADP learned in June of Apple maps just like everyone else. 4 months is not enough time to provide a full map application, unless you're going to implement it using Map Kit... which doesn't solve the back-end problem, which is the core issue here.

Map kit has been migrated to Apple Maps in iOS 6.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
How many users out there actually "Have" an issue with the new maps? I've been running it since the Beta was first available and it works for me?!?! Furthermore Apple will resolve any issues out there and it will smoke google maps :)

Never had an issue with them, been using them since the beta as well. I don't think they will smoke Google, but to me Googles maps are not optimized for navigation. I use Google maps when I am planning a trip or a drive. Once I get in my car I have used Google maps maybe two or three times and I been using an iPhone since day one.

Renzatic

Suspended
Just like no one used Mac OS X when Apple released it as an optional OS right ? Right ?

Oh wait, wrong. ;) Plenty of Apple heads would have jumped onto a Maps preview and started giving feedback on day 1.

Exactly. All they'd have to do is put a big splash on the App Store for the "NEW Apple Maps Beta! Help Make Our World Even Better", and they'd have a million downloads in a second.

Then we'd all be running around talking about how cool the new app is. Sure, it's not as complete as Google's offering, but comeon...it's only a beta. And we're helping make it better. :thumb:

It's amazing what opting into something instead of being forced to use it can do to someone's attitude.

Never had an issue with them, been using them since the beta as well. I don't think they will smoke Google, but to me Googles maps are not optimized for navigation. I use Google maps when I am planning a trip or a drive. Once I get in my car I have used Google maps maybe two or three times and I been using an iPhone since day one.

That was true of Apple's rev of Google Maps, which I think was at least partially Google's fault. It's a shame, because we Apple iDevice people have never had a truly good single map app to use. We only ever have half a complete package. First we had good maps, but no nice turn by turn navigation feature. Now we have a nice turn by turn navigation feature (or at least some of us do), but maps that are middling at best.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
No. People started reporting errors as far back as June and those changes/reports/fixes have not yet been integrated. So we're pretty far from "a month or two", it will probably take quite a few years for Apple to "catch up" to Google, which is not an immobile target (they are also still working on their maps solution in the mean time).

Also, "more" doesn't mean better feedback. For one, pissed off users are much less prone to submit feedback and help (I know I would have probably helped with a Maps preview, but with this situation, Apple will not be getting feedback from me at all).

No, seriously, a preview would have probably netted them even better feedback in the end, from users that were participating willingly rather than forcibly. Human nature, people don't like being forced into things and are usually much less cooperative when they are.

Even you must admit as much. Again, I'm sure Apple didn't even know the breadth of problems they faced when they announced at WWDC. Read the blog I posted, he explains why.

Most people will not change unless you force them. And they had far more things to worry about in the beta, like getting the new phone ready and getting the whole OS stable. Now they will focus on ramping up their new map team which will be full focused on fixing issue people are reporting.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA

Comparing cut and paste (a feature the phone didn't have initially) to a quality map (a feature the phone did have)? Really guy?

Change the default search engine from Google to Bing. Tell us how long it takes for you to change it back to Google.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
People in the ADP learned in June of Apple maps just like everyone else. 4 months is not enough time to provide a full map application, unless you're going to implement it using Map Kit... which doesn't solve the back-end problem, which is the core issue here.

Map kit has been migrated to Apple Maps in iOS 6.

As you keep saying/reminding. The issue isn't even Apple Maps per se. It's the fact that Apple replaced Map Kit to use Apple Maps.

That's a lot of broken Apps. And I feel bad for the developers who will now get a S!@#$ storm of negative feedback that their app is broken/useless/etc

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Apple needed to do this, and the longer they waited the worse it was going to get. Almost all of the Android device advertising has been touting that they have turn by turn navigation, with the implication that the iPhone doesn't. Google was intentionally withholding features like that from iOS users, so Apple had no choice in my opinion. Sure, there are different paths they could have taken to get there, but all of them would have gotten some level of complaints because there is really no way Apple is going to launch a maps app that has parity with Google. Having launched it, Apple now is in a better position to rapidly improve it... and they do need to do that quickly.

Beyond that, I don't see what the big deal is. You can get almost the exact same experience with maps.google.com, and you can even create an icon for it and put it wherever you had the Google Maps icon before. There are some slight differences, but overall it works the same. Personally, I didn't use Google for my primary mapping app anyways, so I'm still using what I used before and will eventually use the Apple app more since its integrated into Siri and other stuff.

Mapmonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
I From what I understand, folks in Japan are upset but folks in Korea, Austria and Germany are happier.

No we're not, Apple Maps has appalling coverage of Korea.

Oh and if i see one more post telling me to just download another app or put a google map web link on my home screen or wait for a google maps app........I'm gonna go:eek::eek::eek: ! These options aren't integrated with reminders, contacts, find my iPhone/iPad or find my friends! or other 3rd party apps using the Maps API. Get it! That's why so many of us in areas with really piss poor coverage are upset, it hasn't just broken maps!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And they had far more things to worry about in the beta, like getting the new phone ready and getting the whole OS stable. Now they will focus on ramping up their new map team which will be full focused on fixing issue people are reporting.

Are you remotely aware how software/hardware teams work. Or how different project managers/teams work? Because your comment above indicates you don't have a clue.

----------

Beyond that, I don't see what the big deal is. You can get almost the exact same experience with maps.google.com, and you can even create an icon for it and put it wherever you had the Google Maps icon before. There are some slight differences, but overall it works the same.

The difference is in the integration of the mapping service with other apps. Maybe you don't use any apps that rely on map kit. Which is fortunate for you. Many of us do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.