Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Retina? You mean like the Icons? I've been using the Mobile version on iP5 and haven't noticed anything that needs "retinizing"

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
We're retinizing new things as we go. Forums will get a redesign, and it will go retina then.

arn

Is the new forum design still going to be on vB3? I understand it's a pain to upgrade but if you're redesigning then it should be something to think about.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is the new forum design still going to be on vB3? I understand it's a pain to upgrade but if you're redesigning then it should be something to think about.

Do you prefer vB4? I've heard only bad things about it.

arn

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA

arn

To be honest, I do like vB4, specifically 4.2. It's doing pretty well. I think more people want to complain, just to complain, or because they're mad about the whole pre-sale thing. Although, I haven't seen it run on forums with this amount of posts or users online at one time, so I don't know how it would deal with that.

If you're interested, I have an unused vB4 license you could use to mess with it for a while if you'd like.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
To be honest, I do like vB4, specifically 4.2. It's doing pretty well. I think more people want to complain, just to complain, or because they're mad about the whole pre-sale thing. Although, I haven't seen it run on forums with this amount of posts or users online at one time, so I don't know how it would deal with that.

If you're interested, I have an unused vB4 license you could use to mess with it for a while if you'd like.

I've got a vB 4 license. :) I've tested with it. I've heard bad things, specifically from people who have upgraded forums with it. So it's not something I've been eager to do. And vB 5 doesn't seem great either.

arn

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia

arn

Possibly the best thing about it (that I've heard) is that it uses divs instead of tables for styles, so it's much more modern basically, and should allow for much better themes, such as the one you're working on.

vB3 is just getting very old.

FischerBlack

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2014
Update Macrumors forum icons to high-res

I just got my 13" retina macbook pro and I am starting to realize how flooded the internet is of low-res icons. On a retina screen the icons really look really nasty especially next to crispy clear text. I think Macrumors should update the forum icons to make it look as crispy as it deserves.

OneAnswer

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
They even look nasty when not being viewed on a Retina display.

Wait for the migration to finish, which will more likely include a new set of Retina ready icons.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They even look nasty when not being viewed on a Retina display.

Wait for the migration to finish, which will more likely include a new set of Retina ready icons.

Given the 'upgrade' started 2 years ago .... You would think a few new buttons wouldn't take that long ;) we do have high res emoticon though :eek::(:confused:

OneAnswer

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Given the 'upgrade' started 2 years ago .... You would think a few new buttons wouldn't take that long ;) we do have high res emoticon though :eek::(:confused:

Really? They still look stupid with that gradient, but maybe I should view them on a Retina screen or something.

Anyway, they will get there before AI and others.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I just got my 13" retina macbook pro and I am starting to realize how flooded the internet is of low-res icons. On a retina screen the icons really look really nasty especially next to crispy clear text. I think Macrumors should update the forum icons to make it look as crispy as it deserves.

OMG! It must be an awful experience. Have you contacted all the sites with low-res icons?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Seriously... That plus the site design looks circa 2005. If they don't do something about this quick I may restrict my retina devices from going on here.

OMG! It must be an awful experience. Have you contacted all the sites with low-res icons?

Having been on retina as long as I have you get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.