Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac Otakara reports that it has received information from a source indicating that representatives of Apple and Foxconn have been working to source unknown parts from a company with expertise in carbon fiber materials.
According to my source, some engineer of Apple and Foxconn Technology came on Japanese company, which has carbon production in mid-March, and they requested to develop some sample.

I don't have information which is ordered by Apple, source told the number of parts is too large to be called "sample".
Rumors of Apple's interest in carbon fiber, which offers high strength at low weight, have been circulating for a number of years but have yet to come to fruition. Nearly four years ago there were rumors of a carbon fiber MacBook Air, and Apple patent applications have indicated that the company is at least exploring what could be done with such materials.

carbon_fiber_macbook_pro_decal.jpg
MacBook Pro covered by "carbon fiber" stickers
More recently, a pair of reports had indicated that the iPad 2 might gain a carbon fiber body. Those claims did not come to pass, although both reports had indicated that the information was rather sketchy in nature as Apple may simply have been testing the technology during the company's product development cycle.

With the hiring of Kevin Kenney last year as a senior composites engineer, speculation regarding Apple's plans for carbon fiber has continued to surface. Kenney had previously served as president and CEO of carbon fiber bicycle frame pioneer Kestrel Bicycles.

Article Link: Apple Sourcing Carbon Fiber Components for Upcoming Product?

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
It will scratch because the fiber itself sits in a resin, which is what provides the basic shape. So its like plastic But it's strong. Also expensive.

It would be for a portable product.

Not sure it's recyclable in any way.

I could see an iPad mini using this.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Carbon fiber is really a miracle metal. I absolutely love carbon fiber tripods for my photography and my mountain bike. So strong and so light - can't beat it.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
While I love the look of carbon fiber, doesn't it cause a significant degradation in wireless signals?

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I wonder how the cost compares to the aluminum Apple is using now, although I have to believe that if Apple put its weight behind production, the material price would drop.

CF would be great though — durable, strong, light, and it doesn't interfere with WiFi and cell signals.

Assuming Apple paints it, could this be the return of black MacBooks, albeit in MBA and MBP guise?

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
While I love the look of carbon fiber, doesn't it cause a significant degradation in wireless signals?

That could be easily fixed by adding a window on the device. All current gen devices have some sort of window for cellular/WIFI connectivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.