Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage43.png

The iPhone can be very intimidating for first-time users, especially since Apple doesn't include a traditional manual in the box with the device. There is a large market for aftermarket books like the forthcoming iPhone 5 for Dummies, but Apple also offers a free iPhone Users Guide updated for iOS 6 both in PDF form and on iBooks.

The guides are excellent for customers new to the iPhone, and for the less tech-savvy iOS user. Download the guide through Apple's iBookstore [Direct Link] or as direct download as a PDF.

Article Link: Apple Updates iPhone User Guide for iOS 6 and the iPhone 5

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
My grandpa got an iPad and was upset he couldn't find a 200 page instruction manual in the box....

sockatume

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
The manual describes a new volume limit for EU regions, but which only seems to have been implemented on the iPhone 5 so far. If you try to go above the pre-approved "safe" level it stops raising the volume momentarily. If you continue to try to raise the volume it will do so. Also iPhone 5 owners are reporting that it wakes the iPhone screen and recolours the volume "blocks" yellow and red to warn you that the volume is at an unsafe level.

What a hideous cludge.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
"The iPhone can be very intimidating for first-time users"

Well maybe if apple didn't add so much useless crap in their os (such as a multitasking bar whose apps all use up valuable ram without the owner realizing) then maybe people would be able to use it more easily.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Well maybe if apple didn't add so much useless crap in their os (such as a multitasking bar whose apps all use up valuable ram without the owner realizing) then maybe people would be able to use it more easily.

Apple's opinion is that knowing that the device has a certain amount of RAM or that apps use any RAM is way too intimidating. So Joe user isn't supposed to realize anything about this. Just see a bunch of pretty icons.

ChittagongBoy

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
How To

Im sorry, but you dont deserve to use an iphone if you need a user guide to learn how to operate the device

monoskier

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
Why is this even news?!?!?!?
Stop the presses: Apple Updates User Guide for New Phone! Holy Cr*p Batman!

What's the matter MR, couldn't find a 400th way to report the Google Maps vs Apple Maps story?

and before someone suggests "don't like the story, don't read it or comment", some of us around here are pretty sick of the regurgitation of the same stories and the 99.9% of attention that the iToys get. We love the toys just as much as the next guy, but seriously, give us something actually useful to waste our time reading.

Last edited:

emlarsen

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2008
Funny how it says that you can use the lightning cable to connect to the iPhone dock when it's apparently been confirmed that they aren't making one....o_0

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
"Well maybe if apple didn't add so much useless crap in their os (such as a multitasking bar whose apps all use up valuable ram without the owner realizing) then maybe people would be able to use it more easily.

Maybe, but I've never needed to free ram on my 4S. It always runs smoothly no matter how many processes are running.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

So, you think the multitask list uses "valuable RAM" unbeknownst to the user. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. With the exception of streaming audio, the vast majority of apps aren't using any "valuable RAM" while shown in the multitask dock. The dock is actually very useful for killing a program that is not running properly.

steviec

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2009
My grandpa got an iPad and was upset he couldn't find a 200 page instruction manual in the box....

LOL - Can you imagine the unboxing videos back in yesteryear....

OK hi doing a unboxing review of access for windows.. Ummm 21 Floppy disks, they look nice... ummm manual - this has got to be like 600 pages so I think its pretty good ... ummm I notice that if you run your finger nail over the sticker on the diskette it scratches a little, so you might wanna buy a case or somethin.... So thats my review don't forget to leave me a comment in the space below (points at pants).....

PantherCreek

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth

Apps in the multitask bar don't use any RAM at all. They are saved in a paused state (unless you are running background music or other processss) there is no need to worry about such things.

xAgustinx

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Actually, that page looks more intimidating for me with all that names on each part of the iPhone.

Poisednoise

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
London UK
LOL - Can you imagine the unboxing videos back in yesteryear....

OK hi doing a unboxing review of access for windows.. Ummm 21 Floppy disks, they look nice... ummm manual - this has got to be like 600 pages so I think its pretty good ... ummm I notice that if you run your finger nail over the sticker on the diskette it scratches a little, so you might wanna buy a case or somethin.... So thats my review don't forget to leave me a comment in the space below (points at pants).....

As someone who was around then, my first thought with this scenario was "how does he think this review is being distributed? Through the post on VHS or Betamax I suppose..." :p

Video wasn't really a medium one used in that way. I do remember having a video tutorial on VHS for Notator SL on the Atari ST though.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
My daughter gave me her iPhone 1 and it is still sitting on the shelf.
unused.

The Mac I get.
The iPhone (or any cellular phone) way too complicated.

When away from home if I want to communicate,
I simply use pay phones.

{'-'}

Won't be long before you won't be able to find a pay phone, and you'll be trapped in the Matrix

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
Nobody needs a manual to operate an iPhone. All they need is the ability to recognize icons, or at the very least be able to read overly complex words such as "Phone" or "Photos. The only people who ask for manuals are people who feel insecure without one. My grandma is like that. There could be a big "PUSH HERE TO DIAL THE NUMBER YOU JUST ENTERED!", and she'd still consult the manual.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011

:D He's probably of the same school as me. I used to be a IBM MVS systems programmer on large iron, and had several thousand pages worth of manuals in my cubicle!

----------

Maybe, but I've never needed to free ram on my 4S. It always runs smoothly no matter how many processes are running.

Yeah well, us old guys who used to think a 10mg winchester hard drive was a HUGE amount of disk space in the last century (imagine Grandpa Simpson voice) can't break old habits. I still call up the multitask bar and clear out running processes. May not need to, but I do it anyway. :)

----------

My grandma started using an iPad and didn't have a problem either. I have no idea how someone could consider ios as difficult to use...

Tell that to one particular friend of mine and his family. They're they only ones I know who can actually crash an iPod touch.:D

(Oh, and yes, I did download the manual and placed it in my ibooks library. Old habits....)

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
:D He's probably of the same school as me. I used to be a IBM MVS systems programmer on large iron, and had several thousand pages worth of manuals in my cubicle!

He was a systems manager for ConEd in NYC for over 40 years lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.