Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reports about the high-profile split between Apple and Google that saw Apple replace its Google-powered Maps app for iOS with its own solution have continued to trickle out, with AllThingsD now reporting that the lack of turn-by-turn directions on Google's Maps app for iOS was the key motivator for Apple.
[M]ultiple sources familiar with Apple's thinking say the company felt it had no choice but to replace Google maps with its own because of a disagreement over a key feature: Voice-guided turn-by-turn driving directions.

Spoken turn-by-turn navigation has been a free service offered through Google's Android mobile OS for a few years now. But it was never part of the deal that brought Google's maps to iOS. And Apple very much wanted it to be. Requiring iPhone users to look directly at handsets for directions and manually move through each step while Android users enjoyed native voice-guided instructions put Apple at a clear disadvantage in the mobile space. And having chosen Google as its original mapping partner, the iPhone-maker was now in a position where an arch rival was calling the shots on functionality important to the iOS maps feature set.
Apple reportedly pushed hard for voice navigation in Google's maps on iOS, but Google was unwilling to hand over the functionality without concessions from Apple. As detailed by other sources, Google was seeking greater control over the mapping experience on the iPhone, such as Google branding and Google Latitude integration, concessions Apple was unwilling to make.

ios_6_iphone_ipad_maps.jpg

Combined with the deterioration of the overall Apple-Google relationship and Apple's concerns that Google was collecting too much information from iOS users, Apple ramped up its mapping efforts in order to bring its own turn-by-turn directions to the device, ultimately deciding that it could afford to do away entirely with Google's maps.

Article Link: Apple's Split with Google Over iOS Maps Driven by Turn-by-Turn Navigation Dispute

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Well that makes me feel a little bit better about the crappy map data. I'd rather have turn-by-turn.

blockhed

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2004
Best explanation yet

This is the best explanation yet for how Apple got in to this mess. It seems like a good reason for Apple to break ties with Google, and I have faith that very soon... weeks or months, Apple's map app will be very good, even superior to what Google offers. Thanks for the article

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I love the new turn-by-turn. But Apple does need to step it up. I'm surprised that they'd release it as is given they had a year left with Google to work on it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think John Gruber laid it out best by showing this as '3 options Apple faced'. When you look at it that way it makes more sense. (Even if you still don't like it.)

It was like a band-aid that Apple needed to pull off. They decided to do it quickly. Very painful, but probably better than dragging it out longer.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
It's no secret Google has been holding back on iOS Maps. While this all sucks it seemed it was inevitable. Neither party wants to give more access to the other.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
considered response

It might have been a more considered response upon Apple's part to introduce the new Maps with iOS 6, without canning the existing Google-based version.

That way they'd have had a year (the year remaining on their contract) to get the new version up-to-speed.

Instead they're dealing with a first-rate cluster****.

This is a rare, self-inflicted fiasco.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
YEY now i have turn by turn directions that tell me to merge on a freeway that is no where in sight! But i still have hope one day it will get better...first mms, then copy/paste, now maps...i wonder whats next? Search engine?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I think John Gruber laid it out best with the 3 options Apple faced. When you look at it that way it makes more sense. (Even if you still don't like it.)

It was like a band-aid that Apple needed to pull off. They decided to do it quickly. Very painful, but probably better than dragging it out longer.

Not the first time he stated that either (although this is the best he has explained it).

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
It might have been a more considered response upon Apple's part to introduce the new Maps with iOS 6, without canning the existing Google-based version.

That way they'd have had a year (the year remaining on their contract) to get the new version up-to-speed.

Instead they're dealing with a first-rate cluster****.

This is a rare, self-inflicted fiasco.

Improvements require user feedback. If google maps stayed the folks would never opt to use apple maps. It was a necessary evil.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Google will be better off with a tird party app in the app store for people that don't mind using Google services. It wouldn't have been right giving Google even more control over core features of the OS which not all users would have wanted IMO.

That way, I get to use a Google maps app that syncs with my Android devices and Google Maps web searches and other users that are averse to Google's business geting get to steer clear of Google with Apple's solution.

Win/Win IMO. Things will get better.

bryanl

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
This is the best explanation yet for how Apple got in to this mess. It seems like a good reason for Apple to break ties with Google, and I have faith that very soon... weeks or months, Apple's map app will be very good, even superior to what Google offers. Thanks for the article

This isn't a religion. There are real people working to deliver you the best product they can on both sides.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I don't want my phone slowly turning into an Android. Thank god that Apple pulled away to do things their way. Apple map looks a lot sexier and cleaner than google maps. Give it time and I am sure it will be a lot better. Turn by turn navigation works really well for me and the way apple implemented into iOS is drop dead gorgeous. Doesn't feel cheap and bloated like other other phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.