Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Using a iPhone 5 noticed scrolling in Safari is not as smooth as expected. You can really see the differnce comparing Safari scrolling on a ipad 3 with iOS 5 to the iPhone 5 on iOS 6.

On the iPad a quick swipe up or down gives a nice natural decelerating rolling motion but with the new iPhone, it just quickly stops.

Is this a Safari iOS 6 change seen on all devices or just the iPhone 5?

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Using a iPhone 5 noticed scrolling in Safari is not as smooth as expected. You can really see the differnce comparing Safari scrolling on a ipad 3 with iOS 5 to the iPhone 5 on iOS 6.

On the iPad a quick swipe up or down gives a nice natural decelerating rolling motion but with the new iPhone, it just quickly stops.

Is this a Safari iOS 6 change seen on all devices or just the iPhone 5?

seems good to me!

brberg

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Seen this same issue with my new iPhone 5. Takes many swipes up or down the page because there doesn't appear to be any acceleration. Any fix for this issue?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Try restarting your phone? try a soft reset first, if not do a hard reset ( hold power button and top button till phone completely shuts off) that should do it

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I see what you mean but I see the same thing happening on my 4S also (also tested on the 5). Probably an iOS thing on the iPhones although I haven't really seen if the same "issue" exists on my iPad. Never really noticed it to be honest.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
A flick scroll seems much more natural on the iOS 5 ipad.
Its that smooth rolling scroll that Android was never able to equal.
On the iPhone 5 with iOS 6 Safari it's lost that effect for some reason.

Interestingly, on the iPhone 5, if you go to the settings app and flick scroll a long page of items the scroll behavior is much different than Safari.

It's not a big deal but just surprised as I always felt Apple had perfected browser scrolling on the ipad and now the iPhone 5 no longer acts the same.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Mine is super smooth and like butter.

Its not the smoothness its the lack of a slow decelerating scroll.
On the new iPhone if I flick scroll it stops pretty much when I let go of the screen.

On the ipad it senses the force of the flick and gently scrolls to a stop accordingly.

If you have an iPad on iOS 5 compare it to the new iPhone.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Its not the smoothness its the lack of a slow decelerating scroll.
On the new iPhone if I flick scroll it stops pretty much when I let go of the screen.

On the ipad it senses the force of the flick and gently scrolls to a stop accordingly.

If you have an iPad on iOS 5 compare it to the new iPhone.

Ah, ok. Interesting.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
maybe its an ipad vs iphone/ipod touch thing or its just more noticable on a bigger screen on the ipods and iphones I have tested this with they all are basically the same from iOS 4 to iOS 6. I don't have an iPad to look at and check though.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure it has always been this way. I say this because I have an iPad, iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 4th gen (Still on iOS 5.)

On larger devices (iPad) the scrolling is a lot more loose, probably because you are more zoomed in and scrolling through more content at once. On smaller devices you are typically zoomed all the way out, so a small flick with the "iPad algorithm" would go straight to the bottom of the page. Comparing iPad to mac it seems the Mac scrolls even faster.

And lets clear up the definition of "smooth scrolling" - it is the content on screen scrolling smoothly, not anything to do with the velocity given to your touch input. Just want to clarify before this thread becomes "scrollgate" on tech crunch.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
I'm pretty sure it has always been this way. ...

Just want to clarify before this thread becomes "scrollgate" on tech crunch.

Thanks, so the iPad always scrolled differently than the any of the phones.
Then it's not a iPhone 5 or iOS 6 change. I have not had a iPhone for a while.

Your right both have a fine framerate, its not stuttering, but the roll on the iPhone in Safari is very resistant compared to the iPad. I prefer the iPad method but as you say it may be by design given the screen sizes.

Last edited:

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Thanks, so iPad always scrolled differently than the any of the phones.
Then it's not a iPhone 5 or iOS 6 change.

Your right both have a fine framerate, its not stuttering, but the roll on the iPhone is very resistant compared to the iPad. I prefer the iPad method but as you say it may be by design given the screen sizes.

Yeah I never really noticed the difference until now as it seems to only be different in Safari. And typically I only use iPhone Safari for quick searches rather than extended browsing sessions.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
This was a major reason for switching from a 4s to my gs3. My GS3 is much nicer at scrolling.

boylerman

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I've noticed it on my iPhone 5 in Safari as well. On my iPad 3 with iOS6, Safari scrolling is much more natural - it handles the "momentum" in the manner we've grown accustomed to. On the iPhone 5, it feels like the "brakes" are dragging a bit.

I have noticed that the scroll behavior seems to work properly on my iPhone 5 if I open the bookmarks list.

I hope this gets addressed in an update.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I've noticed it on my iPhone 5 in Safari as well. On my iPad 3 with iOS6, Safari scrolling is much more natural - it handles the "momentum" in the manner we've grown accustomed to. On the iPhone 5, it feels like the "brakes" are dragging a bit.

I have noticed that the scroll behavior seems to work properly on my iPhone 5 if I open the bookmarks list.

I hope this gets addressed in an update.

Hopefully because it takes away from the premium feel.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I notice this as well. It makes the whole phone feeling deficient because the scroll speed is constant and there is no natural deceleration and acceleration iOS is known for.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Mine is super smooth and like butter.

It can't be not on safari. iPhone operating system isn't designed to scroll fast up and down like iPad . I can get a smooth fast scroll say in the music app scrolling through all my songs but on safari it's just not meant to scroll that way in safari

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.