Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
gotta get it to csv.. (to import to google).. web search said i needed to download a 3rd party app for .99 from the app store which got bad reviews.. any help?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You can export from Address Book to a .VCF file that can be imported to GMail. Just open Address Book and select all then go to File/Export/Export VCard. This file can be imported to GMail.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
  1. Export your Address Book as vCards
  2. Convert to .csv using this
  3. Import .csv file into Excel or Google.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
  1. Export your Address Book as vCards
  2. Convert to .csv using this
  3. Import .csv file into Excel or Google.

I just directly used the vCard method. Worked flawlessly to backup my iCloud contacts on Google. Definitely no need to spend any money on an app.

Correct. You can import the VCF file directly to Google. There is no need to convert to .CSV

dozerdog

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
I just directly used the vCard method. Worked flawlessly to backup my iCloud contacts on Google. Definitely no need to spend any money on an app.

>>>>>
I've tried several times and can't get this to work.

What I'm doing.

CMD+A to select all contact
File > Export > Export vCard

Within google address book
More > Import > (selecting file from previous step)

It is not adding anything. Any ideas what's up?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

>>>>>
I've tried several times and can't get this to work.

What I'm doing.

CMD+A to select all contact
File > Export > Export vCard

Within google address book
More > Import > (selecting file from previous step)

It is not adding anything. Any ideas what's up?

Not sure where you are going wrong. I just did a test and it imported to GMail contacts fine.

I logged in to GMail the clicked the red GMail drop down at the top left and picked Contacts to get to the screen below. Then picked import and chose my vcard file from the desktop and it worked.

3zPzh.png

dozerdog

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Not sure where you are going wrong. I just did a test and it imported to GMail contacts fine.

I logged in to GMail the clicked the red GMail drop down at the top left and picked Contacts to get to the screen below. Then picked import and chose my vcard file from the desktop and it worked.

---------------

Thanks. I tried it again (in chrome this time) and it's still not doing it. I know I have about 400 contacts and the vcf file is 1.5 mb so I'm guessing that's about right. For some reason google reloads but the contacts don't get added. Not sure if this is an apple genius bar issue or not.

Frustrating.

----------

---------------

Thanks. I tried it again (in chrome this time) and it's still not doing it. I know I have about 400 contacts and the vcf file is 1.5 mb so I'm guessing that's about right. For some reason google reloads but the contacts don't get added. Not sure if this is an apple genius bar issue or not.

Frustrating.

---------

Tried yahoo. It doesn't seem to be working either. I notice that my apple address book is on iCloud. Think that could be an issue? Just really stumped. Normally I can handle this basic stuff.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
---------------

Frustrating.

----------

---------

Tried yahoo. It doesn't seem to be working either. I notice that my apple address book is on iCloud. Think that could be an issue? Just really stumped. Normally I can handle this basic stuff.

I don't know what to say my friend. My test was in Safari and it worked fine. Do you have any adblockers or extensions running that might be messing things up maybe?

vishalsheth

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
Why don't you sync Yahoo to your Mac Address book/Contacts firectly? It works better.

---------------

Frustrating.

----------

---------

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.