Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix has updated its iOS app to support iOS 6 and to provide support for the iPhone 5's 4" screen. The update also claims to improve the browsing, searching and watching experience.

netflix.jpg

Support for the iPhone 5's taller screen is particularly useful in video/movie apps such as Netflix as it allows many widescreen movies to be viewed in their native aspect ratio. The Netflix app is a free download from the App Store [Direct Link] but requires a Netflix account.

Many popular apps are being quickly updated to support the iPhone 5's larger screen. Yesterday, Instagram was updated, and several iOS games have also seen updates.

Article Link: Netflix for iOS Updated to Support the iPhone 5's Widescreen

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
now they just need to add some movies so there is something to actually watch...

valid opinion, but for me, their TV archive for viewing is amazing, and the movie selection isn't bad, they have a great list of docu's to watch!

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Still waiting for many of my favorite apps:

USAA Moble Banking
Anything Rovio
Final Fantasy Games
Ticket to Ride Pocket Series
Tiny Wings
Cut the Rope
Super Stick Golf
Flight Control
Lego Harry Potter 2
Carcassone
Settlers of Catan

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Serenity!

Firefly, actually. Serenity was the movie based on this series.

----------

valid opinion, but for me, their TV archive for viewing is amazing, and the movie selection isn't bad, they have a great list of docu's to watch!

Agreed, it's mostly good for watching TV shows. There are a few diamonds in the rough in the movie selection, and its good for random evenings in when you don't feel like going out to Redbox or don't want to pay for a rental from iTunes or on-demand.

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England
The films are in their native active ratio but 720p content will have to be downsized to fit on the 1136x640 screen so it won't be in its native resolution.

Remaining with 640 pixels width helps the developers but hinders the quality of the video, even if its only marginal.

I wonder if Apple will add a 720p screen to the next iteration.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This morning I was trying to show a friend what letterboxed apps looked like.

The first 5 apps I picked were all updated to iPhone 5 size. "Oops. Not this one. Oops. Not this one. Ooops..."

These Devs are moving pretty fast!

SlyMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Honestly, these updates are happening much slower than I expected.

Glad to see this app updated though. Use it a lot for TV shows on the go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.