Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
The 8 pin is for overclocking purposes. If you don't overclock, it is highly doubtful that you need it. GTX670 that has 8 pin are using the GTX680 PCB. The chip itself is fine with 2x6pin and the extra components on the PCB is unlikely to make a huge difference. Most GTX670 that come on GTX680 PCB are overclocked but not enough to increase power usage significantly. It is when you dial up all the settings in the overclock utilities (EVGA PrecisionX for example) that you will see a difference.

btw the GTX580 use a lot more power.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
The 8 pin is for overclocking purposes. If you don't overclock, it is highly doubtful that you need it. GTX670 that has 8 pin are using the GTX680 PCB. The chip itself is fine with 2x6pin and the extra components on the PCB is unlikely to make a huge difference. Most GTX670 that come on GTX680 PCB are overclocked but not enough to increase power usage significantly. It is when you dial up all the settings in the overclock utilities (EVGA PrecisionX for example) that you will see a difference.

btw the GTX580 use a lot more power.

This all makes sense now. Thank you informative internet person!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Got both the 570 and 670 in today, however I only installed the 570; Installation went without a hitch but had some initial difficulties in removing the stock 4870 because I wasn't aware you had to move the fan assembly out of the way first.

Starting up for the first time was a little worrisome as the screen stayed black; Forced powered down and restarted and thankfully the log-in screen came up. Card was recognized and I updated to the current drivers and firmware. Initially the card wasn't recognized in Premiere CS6 so after a quick search I found a simple guide to insert the card into the list of recognized cards for both PP and AE. Found another guide to enable OpenCL and got Luxmark to recognize the card and run a test. All in all, a pretty painless update, although when I run System Report, and select PCI cards, it comes with an error message and cannot display anything; Is this normal when using a PC graphics card?

Already got an RMA for the 670, so it'll be going back tomorrow; Just seems like the general consensus is if you want a graphics card for gaming, the 670 is a pretty damn good card, however if you're more interested in CUDA performance(and the 670 apparently is no slouch), probably will be better off with the 570.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Starting up for the first time was a little worrisome as the screen stayed black; Forced powered down and restarted and thankfully the log-in screen came up.

Yeah, this is definitely the scariest part of the installation process :)

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
I just upgraded from a GTX 670 + Radeon 6870 to a GTX670 + 5870.

Again, no issues. I also have a Mac Pro 1,1 I'm going to attempt Crossfire 2x Radeon 6870 as soon as I get my next PSU :).

I'm going to do a How-To retrofit a PSU into a Mac Pro externally. I've already done one... the next design will be how to do it without cutting any wires on the PSU (in case you don't want to void the warranty). There's already internal products, but it seems like they'd be a pain to actually get working inside a mac pro, plus they're slightly more expensive than an external unit (though less unsightly for sure).

Last edited:

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I just upgraded from a GTX 670 + Radeon 6870 to a GTX670 + 5870.

Again, no issues. I also have a Mac Pro 1,1 I'm going to attempt Crossfire 2x Radeon 6870 as soon as I get my next PSU :).

I'm going to do a How-To retrofit a PSU into a Mac Pro externally. I've already done one... the next design will be how to do it without cutting any wires on the PSU (in case you don't want to void the warranty). There's already internal products, but it seems like they'd be a pain to actually get working inside a mac pro, plus they're slightly more expensive than an external unit (though less unsightly for sure).

make sure to post that it will be an interesting read thanks!

hamiltondaniel

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2008
GTX 670 here running in Windows and OS X with no problems at all in either once booted.

Boot remains an issue; I'd assumed I'd still be able to hold option on startup and tab around in the dark to select a startup disk without the display working as the disks are always ordered the same way, but the boot selector doesn't even appear to work with the 670 in there. No matter how many times I hit tab or return nothing loads and I don't hear the hard drives seeking at all. Hmm.

Question about "helper" cards (planning on an old GT120): does the mere presence of the helper card cause the 670 DVI out to display the boot screens properly? Or does the monitor have to be plugged into the 120 as well with input switched back and forth?

rubefink

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Price drop on gtx 670 $334.99 w/rebate

Thanks for the review--it's always good to get someone's first-hand take.

The GTX 570 is plenty good for my gaming needs, I just would prefer the cooler, less power-intensive GTX 660 TI or 670. I've just read a lot of mixed reports of the 6xx in OS X...granted most of it stems from FCPX issues (which doesn't affect me).

Still, I'm leaning towards getting a cheap, used 570 on eBay or waiting for better 660 TI support. I have no clue what the likelihood of that latter is--I'm guessing it's dependent on a GTX 6xx appearing in an iMac or Mac Pro.

Price drop on gtx 670 $334.99 w/rebate plus you get borderlands 2 fro free. I just caught this today. Ends on the 30th.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16814130782

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Thanks for this slughead, very informative. Have you had any issues when upgrading to 10.8.2?

I haven't upgraded yet, I will let you know

Price drop on gtx 670 $334.99 w/rebate plus you get borderlands 2 fro free. I just caught this today. Ends on the 30th.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16814130782

That's $65 off what I paid! Oh well, still worth it to be gaming with it these last few weeks :)

UPDATE on the PSU modification article: The PSU I got in the mail will require me to purchase adapters... currently on their way.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Just bought myself a GTX 670 for use in my Mac Pro 5,1 hex which is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. It's the 2 GB version.

Am I correct after my reading that I will need to download and install a patch to get OpenCL working properly?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Just bought myself a GTX 670 for use in my Mac Pro 5,1 hex which is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. It's the 2 GB version.

Am I correct after my reading that I will need to download and install a patch to get OpenCL working properly?

You seem confused.

Link?

Under 2049 Mb doesn't need patch in 10.7.5 or 10.8.2.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
exactly, the point being that at 2048 (2GB) the card is fine

the issue is with cards OVER 2GB (2049 and more)

this is why I said you were confused.

Thanks for your response and help!

I got my new Mac Pro hex yesterday and installed both my ATI 5870 and Nvidia GTX 670 with no problems.

The GTX screams in games under windows. So far haven't had any lag on any games I play. Great purchase!

fergusonbk

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
gtx 670 purchase - last few questions

Thanks for all the info guys, this thread is the best. I'm pretty up to date on most of the gtx 670 info, and as my 8800 gt on my 2008 macpro is dying on me it's time to upgrade. couple last questions:

what's this about the pci-e slot only working at 1x speed in MacOS AND windows?? I saw in another posting that the newest nvidia drivers fixed this on mac, I assumed it would work at 2x speed at default in windows anyway?

I'm using the card primarily for Final cut pro editing, and gaming in mac/windows. I've heard a little about issues with fcp, anything major? Should I consider the 570 instead? I'm trying to futureproof a little and like the 670 more as the price is pretty similar, but dont want any headaches. I'm going to be upgrading from snow leopard to mountain lion as it is, just want to keep everything running smooth..

finally, the cost. the gtx 670 is about $400, I saw at best buy and tekserve today some cheap options at $250 and below (gtx 560ti, radeon 5770), are those decent options? I like being able to play new games at super settings but just have a 1920x1080 monitor and I play ps3 on my big tv most of the time.. My heart is leaning towards the 670, wallet definitely not haha..

thanks for the input guys, appreciate it

dave

Last edited:

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Thanks for this slughead, very informative. Have you had any issues when upgrading to 10.8.2?

Just updated, it works

what's this about the pci-e slot only working at 1x speed in MacOS AND windows?? I saw in another posting that the newest nvidia drivers fixed this on mac, I assumed it would work at 2x speed at default in windows anyway?

I don't know what you're talking about. As far as I know it runs the full 16x PCIe in windows and OS X.

------------------

BTW I finally finished my write-up on how to rig an external PSU in a Mac Pro

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1460429/

fergusonbk

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
i did it

ordered that EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB from newegg. Gonna update this thang to mountain lion, should I stop at 10.8.1 or are we good to go?

cant wait to get it, i'll let yall know how delicious it is

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
ordered that EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB from newegg. Gonna update this thang to mountain lion, should I stop at 10.8.1 or are we good to go?

cant wait to get it, i'll let yall know how delicious it is

10.8.2 seems to work fine as well

Drunky

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Hey guys, excuse me for a stupid question, how do I power both graphics cards? The connector from the drive bay is completely different and there are only 2 connectors on the motherboard, so the 670 uses them all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.