Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwhitta

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Wow, I think I'll take advantage of the unlimited 4G hotspot more often...

Attachments

• 4g vs cable.jpg
    4g vs cable.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 111

niteriderxp

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Lol they can still detect it using tether me... AT&T busted me. Never used it on my verizon unlimited, but regardless if AT&T caught me using tether me verizon can too.. Not saying they will, but they certainly can

They are not detecting it via the APN, because it essentially uses the same APN as the phone.
It could be that AT&T is using deep packet inspection and checking for computer User Agents or TCP/IP stack fingerprinting.
Though AT&T has been known to just target people who use a lot of data, regardless whether they were tethering or not.
Historically, Verizon has not gone after people tethering, and now that the FCC is on their case, I doubt they will.

I already pay $45/m for data (old corp plan), there is no way I am going to pay $30 more unless I'm really desperate.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
They are not detecting it via the APN, because it essentially uses the same APN as the phone.
It could be that AT&T is using deep packet inspection and checking for computer User Agents or TCP/IP stack fingerprinting.
Though AT&T has been known to just target people who use a lot of data, regardless whether they were tethering or not.
Historically, Verizon has not gone after people tethering, and now that the FCC is on their case, I doubt they will.

I already pay $45/m for data (old corp plan), there is no way I am going to pay $30 more unless I'm really desperate.

i only had used 3gb sooo... Verizon has gone after plenty of people for thetering in the the last year, but yeah they have let up a lot after all this fcc stuff. I went ahead and paid the $30 just to be safe. $30 is not much money at all.

have any of you had problems with your tether stopping??
i connected my ip5 to my ipad3. A few min after my iphone locked it seems the tether stopped :/ am i doing something wrong?

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Just so you know. "Unlimited" for the hotspot means 5gb. ;)

Data Estimate as of 10/01/2012
UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW
138.098 GB of Unlimited

And I'm not purposely trying to abuse the network, it's just the LTE is faster than my Verizon DSL and FiOS isn't an option here. So why the hell wouldn't I use the LTE network? I'm seriously considering canceling my DSL.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
No, that is not true for the 4G Hotspot that we are discussing here. Like the phone's data plan itself, this hotspot is truly unlimited. However, those of you who are using the hotspot to replace your home Internet are just going to ruin it for everybody... because Verizon can (and most likely will) do away with the grandfathered unlimited plans altogether. Those of us hoping to keep it by buying phones at full retail for the foreseeable future would appreciate it if you didn't use multiples of GB of data than draws so much attention to Verizon that they have no choice but to end it. This is especially true now that the iPhone is on their LTE network and will definitely be putting some strain on their new network.

OK... so you have unlimited but don't want to use it as such. That's fine, go with a limited plan then. Those of us who enjoy unlimited, and have forever, will continue to do so.

Since the Thunderbolt, I've used anywhere from 2GB to 80GB each month. If they wanted to curb this, they would have removed the ability to add unlimited tethering sometime in the last year - they haven't.

Why would I use another connection when LTE beats out all the other options I have? Why would I limit my unlimited connection while traveling? Why would I PAY EXTRA for unlimited tethering and not use it? Why would I buy a phone outright for unlimited data and not use it? WHY? Should we all just pay Verizon extra and pretend we have limited plans? NO.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
have any of you had problems with your tether stopping??
i connected my ip5 to my ipad3. A few min after my iphone locked it seems the tether stopped :/ am i doing something wrong?
I have not had any issues and I use my rMBP on my phone's internet all day long for work. If this isn't just a one time issue, I would call Verizon or Apple for assistance.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
OK... so you have unlimited but don't want to use it as such. That's fine, go with a limited plan then. Those of us who enjoy unlimited, and have forever, will continue to do so.

Since the Thunderbolt, I've used anywhere from 2GB to 80GB each month. If they wanted to curb this, they would have removed the ability to add unlimited tethering sometime in the last year - they haven't.

Why would I use another connection when LTE beats out all the other options I have? Why would I limit my unlimited connection while traveling? Why would I PAY EXTRA for unlimited tethering and not use it? Why would I buy a phone outright for unlimited data and not use it? WHY? Should we all just pay Verizon extra and pretend we have limited plans? NO.

This.

I've read several articles recently that state the cost for carriers to run business are going down, especially with LTE, and that consumers are being charged more (either with more dollars, or less services).

Carriers have slowly brainwashed consumers into thinking anything over 2GB on a smartphone is "excess", and we're ruining it for everyone else, which is ridiculous. Come on people! Tech forums contributors should be those that should be fighting for the consumers, not telling others not to use the data they're paying for.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Data Estimate as of 10/01/2012
UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW
138.098 GB of Unlimited

And I'm not purposely trying to abuse the network, it's just the LTE is faster than my Verizon DSL and FiOS isn't an option here. So why the hell wouldn't I use the LTE network? I'm seriously considering canceling my DSL.

i was the same way with my ATT unlimited and we all know how that went for unlimited customers... at least i still have my verizon unlimited data plan.

i agree it says unlimited and there shouldn't be any reason we cant use an unlimited amount.. but you cant argue there isnt a risk that verizon will go the same route as ATT.. especially if people are using more data than your average cable internet customer... on a smartphone.

i use my unlimited to the fullest as well (20 gb or so), i just have a 50/10 connection at home, if not id be in the same boat.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon, but the only hotspot feature I see in MyVerizon is a $20/month 2gb plan. What gives?

I was seeing the same thing....and when I called Verizon they said I can add the hotspot as an option for $30/month, but it was limited to 2 GB. I guess I'll have to call Verizon again...

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Does this have to be through a phone? Or can you get 4G mi-fi unlimited for $30/month?

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
I was seeing the same thing....and when I called Verizon they said I can add the hotspot as an option for $30/month, but it was limited to 2 GB. I guess I'll have to call Verizon again...

Alright, was able to add personal hot spot with unlimited after I called Verizon.

I'm seeing my iPhone become pretty slow when using a lot of bandwidth. Anyone else have this issue?

Edit: Nevermind, everything is working great. 30mbs download speed. Wow.

Last edited:

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Does this have to be through a phone? Or can you get 4G mi-fi unlimited for $30/month?

Has to be on your phone plan. You can however put your phone SIM into a mifi box and use it with unlimited. I used to do this when I had the Thunderbolt and the phone would overheat.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
just wondering if anyone used the iphone 5 nano sim in a verizon jetpack using an nano to micro sim adapter. does it work?

Hauntedhallows

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2012
Has anyone got confirmation that this is unlimited from Verizon. I am grandfathered on unlimited with the iPhone 5 but when I called because there is no mention of a data cap and only that you need an unlimited plan they still told me its limited to 2gb.

ml.sail1

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
Pittsburgh
Has anyone got confirmation that this is unlimited from Verizon. I am grandfathered on unlimited with the iPhone 5 but when I called because there is no mention of a data cap and only that you need an unlimited plan they still told me its limited to 2gb.

Try and have them add feature #76153 (the code for unlimited hotspot).

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011

any special nano to micro sim adapter, or anyone of them will do?
also, i read that people are complaining about a "dormat" state, where the device goes to sleep after certain time, and you have to reconnect to it.do you get this issue too? thanks for the info

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Try and have them add feature #76153 (the code for unlimited hotspot).

That's why I do all my changes online. It will automatically code it up for you correctly and give you unlimited hotspot data with unlimited plan. Phone rep will likely mess it up.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008

It is definitely unlimited with no caps. They would not allow an Unlimited hot spot plan if that were the case. I don't pay the $30 per full month for it. I enable it in the MyVerizon app on my phone when I need to use the 4G hot spot, and when I'm done I go in and disable it. It's roughly $1 a day per usage. I love it!!

screenshot20121030at843.png

Reaper0bot0

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
On a 3G device with grandfathered unlimited data, the only option to add mobile hotspot is $20/month for 2 gigs of data for mobile hotspot. On a 4G device with grandfathered unlimited data, the only option to add mobile hotspot is $30/month for unlimited data for the mobile hotspot.

</thread>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.