Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
No ghosting here, Samsung display.

Go ... Samsung?

Hello,

Just a question how do you get the Samsung Display Retina Mac Book Pro?

----------

You can't deny Samsung makes really, really good panels.

Hello,

Just a question can you ask the Apple retailer or by calling Apple asking for the Samsung display Mac Book Pro when you make the order? Just curious....

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Agreed but the problem is directly linked to human nature, we only seem to really learn by our own experience and not by other's referred experiences and actions; sometimes we don't catch on for a loooong time even then.

I bought a Rev. B G3 Bondi Blue iMac after waiting to find what was wrong with Rev. A one.
Apple only put 2mb of video RAM on the Rev. A's Rage Pro Turbo. They bumped it to 6mb on the B simply by putting another 4mb in a slot they had already fitted to the original motherboard. So Apple knew they would likely get flack for the very low video memory.
The 6mb one was still weak and I added an 8mb Voodoo2 on the mezzanine slot to solve its feeble 3D ability.

I bought the first G4 iMac (15"LCD 800mhz CPU) then realised I should have waited for the 17" widescreen Rev. B....

I bought the last PowerPC G5 64bit iMac (20" 2Ghz) just before the following Core Duo iMac was released. That Intel one was only 32bit when its Rev. B Core2Duo was 64bit. By now I was beginning to catch on.

I waited till an 8 core Mac Pro was available in 2008 before going for a workstation, it was the right choice I think but how many times did I get burned before I learned?

IF every one could learn from these experiences and actually resisted the hype just once (I know it is a fantasy) then the corporate mindset of the world's fattest company would be changed forever and for the better.

I can dream, but I know it is only a dream. :D

Only one for me and if was a gift. Never wold I buy a iMac core2duo for the price they were asking vs the performance that is crap. Apple will not stop selling a product because it's defective.

NutSoft

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Bristol,UK
Apple Test proves my MBP+R image ghosting problem is normal

Took my MBP+R to the genius bar in my local Apple store last night and they ran the Apple test for artefacts on my display and it was fine, no artefacts were present after the test. The Apple test is to display a checkerboard pattern for 3 minutes (whilst not looking at the screen) followed by a dull grey screen for 1 minute, after which you look for any signs of the checkerboard.

My real-world test is to run a Windows 2008 R2 VM with typical blue background, open an explorer window (not full screen) and then close it after a few minutes (3 will do). If I can then see the explorer window's ghost image and even make out some of the text, then in my eyes that is a fail.

I'm a late adopter of Apple tech; I even said to a colleague that I thought the iPad would never sell, but I have bought in now at the the deep end and have a flawed LG screen. At present I think it's purely a vanity issue, but I do wonder if it will get worse over time. Needless to say I shall be keeping an eye on it.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Tonight the TV shopping channel QVC was selling iPads for $1,069.00

Those cheap pads are flying off the shelves at more than a thousand dollars each. Dope dealers can't even imagine making profit like that when they're high on their own supply.

You got ghosts on your laptop screen? Go buy an HP.

Apple is moving cereal box surprises for over a thousand dollars each.

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
This is still asinine, and has nothing to do with improving QC. It just shows you have an extremely limited and naive understanding of how products get made.

Would you care to explain to us ignorant folk how it actually works?

DavidFoster

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
My LG display exhibits image retention (LG display)

It was fine for nearly 3 months and then bam! Now it is obvious-even visible with the standard galaxy background.

I'm scheduled for my first Genius bar visit tomorrow. If they so much as murmur that this is normal or that this isn't an issue, I am going to be very mad about it as I hate being lied to. :mad:

raw911

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2003
I'm planning on ordering rmbp probably by 12/14/12. I'd guess there's still a 50/50 that ill get stuck with an LG display then. Or have apple finally fixed this issue?

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
Hey guys, I think I'm having the same issue with my rMBP. I'll attach a few pictures and a video so hopefully you guys can tell me if this is the issue. As you could probably guess, it looks worse in person.

Here's the video:

For the video, I followed the example set by NutSoft in his post:

Took my MBP+R to the genius bar in my local Apple store last night and they ran the Apple test for artefacts on my display and it was fine, no artefacts were present after the test. The Apple test is to display a checkerboard pattern for 3 minutes (whilst not looking at the screen) followed by a dull grey screen for 1 minute, after which you look for any signs of the checkerboard.

Do you think Apple would do anything about this?

Edit: I have run the terminal command to determine display manufacturer and it is an LG display.

Here are some picture of normal everyday use occurrences:

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:

msinscoe

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Terminal

Reading the various comments, I tried copying and pasting and writing the above code in Terminal without any result on Macbook pro 13 Retina. Is there another code, or another way to see if the screen is LG or Samsung?

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Reading the various comments, I tried copying and pasting and writing the above code in Terminal without any result on Macbook pro 13 Retina. Is there another code, or another way to see if the screen is LG or Samsung?

Doesn't work on the 13--not sure if there is any terminal code that works on that model.

Attilas

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
I'm planning on ordering rmbp probably by 12/14/12. I'd guess there's still a 50/50 that ill get stuck with an LG display then. Or have apple finally fixed this issue?

I ordered rMBP on 6th december and received on 10th. I have an LG panel and my rMBP as been manufacturer in the week 48. Obviously produced between 2nd and 6th december.

I have absolutely no IR problem up to now. Called AppleCare and went to AppleStore about my concern of the LG IPS panel loosing its actual performance. Didn't get any real answer. Not even how much time they do the check board to consider it valid for a replacement. And if issue is resolved or not.

I do have noticed a lot less people complaining since a month on new received device. In fact only people fearing their LG panel might fail but didn't up to now. For the little people still complaining they look like to have an old panel that finally showed some IR.

But I just can't be certain my panel is now fixed and won't get bad in a couple of months and have to fight to get it exchanged. I decided again me to send back my rMBP and wait a bit.

Other than that, there is no way I can purchase any other laptop that this one (My first Mac). It is simply a perfectly designed machine. But I just don't know if the best feature of this laptop (retina display) is up to the expectation......

Attilas

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012

Someone reported on apple community a defective 48 week LG panel after 7 days of usage. Look like LG panel still not fixed for IR... Jeez

madmax1105

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
check command not working

my macbook pro 13 retina is not giving any results for:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

can someone kindly help me find out if i have an lg or samsung screen.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Yeah, people! If you end up looking at something for more than two minutes, you're doing it wrong! :mad:

Hey people. You knew since Apple had hissy fit over Samsung beating them in smartphone sales, all displays would be LG.

And if you pay attention, you knew there were major issues with all LG screens apple used in the past.

So why are you surprised again?
:confused:

:rolleyes:

Mac-Tech

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto, ON
Just reading from the other posts ppl who have week 47-50 are still having issues with their LG panels. The best thing anyone can do is when they purchase a 15" RMBP you have a 14 day window. Boot it up go into terminal place the code in to find out if its LP or LSN. If its LSN then you got yourself a Samsung Panel. If you find out its an LG then return it the same day or the next day. Simple as that.

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
Hey guys, I think I'm having the same issue with my rMBP. I'll attach a few pictures and a video so hopefully you guys can tell me if this is the issue. As you could probably guess, it looks worse in person.

Here's the video:

YouTube: video

For the video, I followed the example set by NutSoft in his post:

Do you think Apple would do anything about this?

Edit: I have run the terminal command to determine display manufacturer and it is an LG display.

Here are some picture of normal everyday use occurrences:

This is clearly a reason for replacement. When you'll go to apple store, take those pictures and videos with you. That did a trick for me as their image persitency check did not show anything. After seeing the pictures, genius changed his mind:)

O ordered mine in December, it was custom built for business. I bought it over the phone and I said that I would require Samsung as LGs do have problems with IR - in reply I get that they don't have a power to do it etc,.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
It was fine for nearly 3 months and then bam! Now it is obvious-even visible with the standard galaxy background.

I'm scheduled for my first Genius bar visit tomorrow. If they so much as murmur that this is normal or that this isn't an issue, I am going to be very mad about it as I hate being lied to. :mad:

Prepare to be very mad.................. :(

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
So glad I went for a non retina 13 macbook.

----------

LG products are generally crap. Not surprised their screens arent any better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.