Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Hello all, I have a 3G iPod that I want to use as an external hd for Windows but when I plug it in I get a message that reads "The drive is not formatted, would you like to format it?" Of course, I choose No. So how would I get this to work? I have Tiger at home and Windows2000 Professional at work.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
If you format it as ntfs (windows) the Mac will read it but not write to it.I believe there is windows software (acute systems) that will rw to a Mac formatted drive so that could be an answer.
If I got that wrong,sorry, I'm assuming you want to transfer data between your windoze and Mac computers.On rereading maybe not.

musikman_ie

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
this is how I got it to work

formatted as FAT32

firstly make sure you ITUNES libary is safe and backed up on the MAC and that extra files are backed up on the mac from the IPOD

Basically then run the windows updater from windows, choose to wipe and restore the sofware , this wipes the whole IPOD and puts back the software on a FAT32 partition

Then sync back on the MAC at let it copy back you ITUNES library

musikman_ie

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
just to mention the synronisation of the ITUNES is slower with the FAT32 system , and the MAC puts the annoying .ds store files on the IPOD so when you are using in Windows searching for files is a bit annoying

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Will point out, the hard drive in an iPod is not cooled, and if it's used heavily for sustained activity (like booting and running an OS) the drive and other components can overheat. It's only meant to dissipate the heat of a few minutes of sustained writing, at most.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
rainman::|:| said:
Will point out, the hard drive in an iPod is not cooled, and if it's used heavily for sustained activity (like booting and running an OS) the drive and other components can overheat. It's only meant to dissipate the heat of a few minutes of sustained writing, at most.

Have you ever had an iPod melt as a result? I've had my iPod for 2 years and never had any trouble using it for that function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.