Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that Sharp has publicly stated that it is now producing "adequate volumes" of the display for the iPhone 5, bolstering Apple's efforts to catch up with high demand for the device.
Sharp Corp is making "adequate volumes" of displays it is known to supply for Apple Inc's new iPhone5, a company executive said, indicating that a possible bottleneck in supplies of screens may have eased.

Analysts had blamed a shortfall in supplies of display for leaving Apple with too few iPhones to meet burgeoning demand at its launch this month.
sharp_logo-500x70.jpg

Deutsche Securities analyst Yasuo Nakane estimates that Japan Display and LG Display are capable of producing roughly eight million displays per month each, while Sharp's capacity is pegged at six million displays. With Sharp reportedly having not been ready for the initial batch of iPhone 5 units, over 25% of display production capacity appears to have been offline until just two weeks ago.

Sharp's full production of the iPhone 5 display comes as existing shortages in Apple's first round of launch markets are being compounded by today's expansion to 22 new countries and several more carriers in existing markets.

Article Link: Sharp Now Producing 'Adequate Volumes' of iPhone 5 Display

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Apple needs to break free as far from Samsung as possible. I believe this to be a very positive thing as Samsung needs to stand under their own merits, free from profits due to Apple's success. Not only for screens but ram and any other component Apple needs to make its products. Everything needs to come from other suppliers. I know that Samsung does a good job, but I'm sure that other companies can grow in order to supply great parts in the volumes that Apple needs.

Any money Apple eventually gets from the courts ($1.04B or triple damages on that number) is nothing compared to the thumping Samsung will get with Apple showing Samsung completely to the door. Which, I think, is exactly the thing that needs to happen.

Samsung,... Google. You boys are no longer invited to play with Apple.

Last edited:

litmag01

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Apple needs to break free as far from Samsung as possible. I believe this to be a very positive thing as Samsung needs to stand under their own merits, free from profits due to Apple's success. Not only for screens but ram and any other component Apple needs to make its products. Everything needs to come from other suppliers. I know that Samsung does a good job, but I'm sure that other companies can grow in order to supply great parts in the volumes that Apple needs.

Does anyone know how relliant Apple is on Samsung? Do a lot of their supplies really come from Samsung? Sorry for the newb question.:)

redbotsoftware

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009

Any money Apple eventually gets from the courts ($1.04B or triple damages on that number) is nothing compared to the thumping Samsung will get with Apple showing Samsung completely to the door. Which, I think, is exactly the thing that needs to happen.

Samsung,... Google. You boys are no longer invited.

Apple is not an Island onto itself. They cannot do everything. But they do need to stop relying on companies that steal their products, like Google and Samsung.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Apple is not an Island onto itself. They cannot do everything. But they do need to stop relying on companies that steal their products, like Google and Samsung.
You said what I wanted to say in a much more concise manner. Thanks.

You're right... Apple needs partners. Trustworthy partners that can be counted on to supply and not steal!

Last edited:

Shredliotti

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Shipment Estimants

Opinions on weather or not the increased production will outweigh the demand to improve shipping times? (Especially with the increased demand in foreign markets arising today)

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011

as a result, we get a lesser quality retina display on the macbook.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Does anyone know how relliant Apple is on Samsung? Do a lot of their supplies really come from Samsung? Sorry for the newb question.:)

They used to get quite a lot of their components sourced at Samsung (even on the 4S I believe the display was from Samsung, memory and the CPU was produced there not sure what else), but have seriously started to extricate themselves from them (as this display sourcing is showing) and that is a very good thing.

Well, hopefully Sharp gets their yields up and Apple 5 production can come up.

Gnomepatrol

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
Metro East Area

This is probably one of the most ignorant posts I have had the pleasure or reading. Apple is being stupid in breaking from one of the best Nand, LCD, and Mobile CPU producers on the planet. Your iPhones are going to be filled with 2nd/3rd tier products with higher failure rates. I guess if you like traveling multiple times to the apple store when your phone fails that is fine, but personally when I spend that much money on a phone/laptop I expect it to have the best quality parts on it. Not 2nd/3rd tier, because they feel they need to throw a fit.

If you think their suppliers they are going to be using aren't bad. Look up Hynix that is your new Nand producer, look at sharp for your lcd, and I don't even want to delve into who they are going to have make their CPUs. ROFL Global foundries was thrown around and they are atrocious.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Are Sharp that good with displays? I was browsing through TV's a few months ago and Sharp didn't stand out as particularly good TVs. Sony and Samsung looked to be the best.

sasasule

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Netherlands
I do understand that Apple trying to separate from Samsung...but one thing that they should keep from Samsung is there display.

If something Samsung know how to produce with great quality is there screens...from CRT, LED, LCD, Amoled you name it...

Display for Phone's, TV's, Monitor's they all kick ass....

Other then that they should switch to different vendors for parts that they need...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Are Sharp that good with displays? I was browsing through TV's a few months ago and Sharp didn't stand out as particularly good TVs. Sony and Samsung looked to be the best.

Aren't those displays made with the same specifications, and if that is true it wouldn't make a difference whether they are from Samsung, Sharp or any other manufacturer.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007

Samsung/Sony are the best, their joint venture has made stunning results. Sharpe always have bee and always will be second rate, just like LG.

As for other components. The less said the better.

So people are happy to sacrifice quality and Apple to start using suppliers that were too *iss poor to win contracts the first time round?

Well if they're that ***** thick then let them be ripped off even more, paying the same price for a 3rd rate device.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
This is probably one of the most ignorant posts I have had the pleasure or reading. Apple is being stupid in breaking from one of the best Nand, LCD, and Mobile CPU producers on the planet. Your iPhones are going to be filled with 2nd/3rd tier products with higher failure rates. I guess if you like traveling multiple times to the apple store when your phone fails that is fine, but personally when I spend that much money on a phone/laptop I expect it to have the best quality parts on it. Not 2nd/3rd tier, because they feel they need to throw a fit.

If you think their suppliers they are going to be using aren't bad. Look up Hynix that is your new Nand producer, look at sharp for your lcd, and I don't even want to delve into who they are going to have make their CPUs. ROFL Global foundries was thrown around and they are atrocious.

Diversification is mandatory for Apple, not optional.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011

Oh please. Samsung isn't some magic company that is the only one to be able to create "high quality" components. There are many factors involved in component sourcing, e.g. Price.

Samsung can do it cheap that's why Apple buys from them. And cost partly comes down to economy of scale. By supporting Samsung's rivals Apple is helping them "power up" in industrial capacity and with more revenue they can up their R&D as well - hire better engineers etc.

It's win-win for Apple as it gives them more suppliers to source from and competition between them will force down the price and drive innovation. It also give Apple more leverage as they can dump whoever displeases them and go to their competitor.

Oh and Sharp is quite a big player in LCDs with many patents to their name. They have been in trouble lately due to the high Yen - and low domestic demand for TVs. The iPhone 5's display is the best iPhone display yet, if not the best mobile display ever apart from the newest iPad - http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

----------

Samsung/Sony are the best, their joint venture has made stunning results. Sharpe always have bee and always will be second rate, just like LG.

As for other components. The less said the better.

So people are happy to sacrifice quality and Apple to start using suppliers that were too *iss poor to win contracts the first time round?

Well if they're that ***** thick then let them be ripped off even more, paying the same price for a 3rd rate device.

Ha. Sorry, IPS > PVA in most cases especially in colour accuracy.

Sony has bailed on the jointed venture and has started using Sharp panels.

Gnomepatrol

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
Metro East Area
Oh please. Samsung isn't some magic company that is the only one to be able to create "high quality" components. There are many factors involved in component sourcing, e.g. Price.

Samsung can do it cheap that's why Apple buys from them. And cost partly comes down to economy of scale. By supporting Samsung's rivals Apple is helping them "power up" in industrial capacity and with more revenue they can up their R&D as well - hire better engineers etc.

It's win-win for Apple as it gives them more suppliers to source from and competition between them will force down the price and drive innovation. It also give Apple more leverage as they can dump whoever displeases them and go to their competitor.

Oh and Sharp is quite a big player in LCDs with many patents to their name. They have been in trouble lately due to the high Yen - and low domestic demand for TVs. The iPhone 5's display is the best iPhone display yet, if not the best mobile display ever apart from the newest iPad - http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

----------

Ha. Sorry, IPS > PVA in most cases especially in colour accuracy.

Sony has bailed on the jointed venture and has started using Sharp panels.

Up to now they have been the only one with a proven track record, but if you are willing to pay 200-400$ under contract of 600-800$+ straight up for low quality parts be my guest.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
I do understand that Apple trying to separate from Samsung...but one thing that they should keep from Samsung is there display.

If something Samsung know how to produce with great quality is there screens...from CRT, LED, LCD, Amoled you name it...

Display for Phone's, TV's, Monitor's they all kick ass....

Other then that they should switch to different vendors for parts that they need...

Easy there fanboy.

In CRTs, Sony has always been number one with their Trinitron technology.

In LCDs, IPS is still the preferred tech in professional circles. Hitachi technology - licensed to LG.

OLED is premature. They still suffer from lifespan and power consumption issues. Samsung is using a whole lot of palour tricks like Pentile just to get them to work decently.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I can't imagine that Apple just throws specs at a manufacturer and lets them crank out low-quality parts. Just as Apple has supervisors at FoxConn, I'm sure they'd send supervisors to other plants to check on quality control. And, as with FoxConn, they might help the manufacturers get up-to-speed. It is, after all, in Apple's best interest to help them produce the highest quality they can.

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Up to now they have been the only one with a proven track record, but if you are willing to pay 200-400$ under contract of 600-800$+ straight up for low quality parts be my guest.

Just did. I love the iPhone 5. :D

PS: I bought a galaxy S before buying an iPhone 4 two years ago BTW. Worst phone ever, dead pixel within 3 days, after a while the stupid thing started lagging until it was practically unusable - 2 sec lag to press a button. So much for "quality components" heh.

Dumped the phone and went with Apple - had an iPod touch so I knew what I was getting; basically an iPod touch with phone functionality. :p Never been happier.

Been considering a Sony phone before the iPhone 5 reveal - they are ****ing water proof! But then I saw the state of android ... It's been 2 years since i have been in the market for a phone and they still can't get updates out in a timely manner. Never mind.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Wow a guest appearance by Samsung's CEO here on MacRumors!!! :eek:

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
[/COLOR]

Apple wouldn't be where they are today without Samsung.

Same can be said about Samsung. >.>

They profited quite a bit in the relationship with Apple. They decide to sabotage it. /shrug I sure there are many other companies quite willing to take their place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.