Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
Once again the record companies fail. I have barely listened to my iTunes library since Spotify unleashed 13 million songs in the US.

I have also stopped pirating music and my family spends $30.00/month on Spotify which is a hell of a lot more than nothing!

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I use Pandora and enjoy their service, but it is only a matter of time before Apple rolls this out. I wonder what their pricing scheme for the service will be.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Pandora is weak. Spotify`s radio has newer songs and it finds similar songs as opposed to Pandora`s song selection. Plus I don`t get political adds on Spotify.

BiteMyApple

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Forest Hills, NY
Pandora + PandaBar integrated to my OS. Free and no ads. Don't really need much more than that. But thanks Apple.

i-RLpHmZ6-L.png

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Once again the record companies fail. I have barely listened to my iTunes library since Spotify unleashed 13 million songs in the US.

I have also stopped pirating music and my family spends $30.00/month on Spotify which is a hell of a lot more than nothing!

The record companies fail because they want to protect their property? But Apple taking the lions share of the profit is ok? A bit hypocritical, isn't it? And we all know how generous Apple is with licensing and sharing, don't we?

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
When Apple blatantly copies someone elses idea it's embraced here. When it's the other way around thousands of macrumors users become the patent police crying foul.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
When Apple blatantly copies someone elses idea it's embraced here. When it's the other way around thousands of macrumors users become the patent police crying foul.
What "embracing" are you seeing? Because here's what I'm seeing:
Pandora killer? Just like Apple Maps was a google killer?
Pandora killer? Rigggggggggght.
If it's suppose to be a service "built into the iPhone 5", how can you call it a Pandora-Killer, a popular service available to everyone (in the U.S.)?

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
The record companies fail because they want to protect their property? But Apple taking the lions share of the profit is ok? A bit hypocritical, isn't it? And we all know how generous Apple is with licensing and sharing, don't we?

I don't have a problem with them wanting a piece of the digital marketplace, but as I said even little of the revenue from streaming services is better than nothing. If they wait too long they will fail.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
please fix iTunes Match first! having no cover art on half my songs is pushing my OCD limit
There's a WHOLE LOT of issues to fix with Match before Apple should consider moving on to something else. Match is a complete mess right now. They should be embarrassed.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Pandora is weak. Spotify`s radio has newer songs and it finds similar songs as opposed to Pandora`s song selection. Plus I don`t get political adds on Spotify.

As a free service, Pandora radio is way better. As a pay service Spotify has the advantage.

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
As a musician myself (with music on over 48 retailers, dozens of internet radio services, and soundtrack for TV shows), I'm glad Sony isn't budging.....

The royalties paid on streams are a joke.

In many cases, even TENTHS of cents is being generous. More like TENTH

Not saying all these companies are getting rich off this, but the payout really is pathetic. Ends up being more of an 'exposure' thing for musicians, than it is about revenue.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
please fix iTunes Match first! having no cover art on half my songs is pushing my OCD limit

Have you tried manually deleting and readding the cover art? My OCD limit was crossed within hours of iOS 6 installation. In iTunes I manually copied the cover art to the desktop, deleted the cover art in the album. Closed it. Reopened it, re-added the cover art and the art then appeared on my phone a little while later.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't have a problem with them wanting a piece of the digital marketplace, but as I said even little of the revenue from streaming services is better than nothing. If they wait too long they will fail.

Why? Because Apple won't want to stream music in 1/3/5/10 years from now? Then why get into it in the first place.

There's no fail. Once again we see that Apple has demands another company doesn't want to meet. This doesn't equate to other companies failing, making a bad choice, being stupid or should just be bought by Apple, etc.

Why some people think every company should just bend over for Apple is astounding.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
That's fine if they want to do this. I just wish they can focus on more important things like "computers" for professionals. ;)

Why do people have this false notion that music streaming takes anything away from designing computers?

Apple is a big company, and the people working on iTunes are not designing "computers for professionals". I do believe that Apple can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.