Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I just don't understand it when companies make these types of damaging mistakes when the average person could have easily weighed the pros and cons of keeping or deleting the Google Maps.

Delete Google Maps
Pro:
*we will introduce our own app and compete with Google

Con:
*we will really upset MILLIONS of people who rely on Google Maps if our Maps app is not up to par
*people who lose their iPhones won't be able to pinpoint its location as accurately

Keep Google Maps
Pro:
*We will still introduce our own app and compete with Google
*It will give us one more year to work on our app and improve it
*People will have an alternative in case they don't like our beta Maps app and will simply revert back to Google with much less, if no, backlash
*People who voluntarily choose our app are more likely to report problems so that we can improve it as opposed to people who are upset at us because we forced it on them

Con:
*the license will expire soon

I'm sure others can come up with a list on their own but ultimately, I don't understand how Apple concluded it would be best to force a beta app on people as opposed to the alternative. All of this embarrassment could have been avoided.

Not to mention that I cannot recall in any of apples public addresses that they pointed out that youtube and Google Maps would no longer be included?

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
I've seriously had no problems with Maps, and I have used Voice Navigation almost daily since the release... Apology unwarranted!!

Agreed, works great here in Hawaii and the Maps have been spot on. Then again Apple holds itself to a higher standard. Google just keeps saying its BETA

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Its interesting that the new apple is so willing to backpedal whenever they're criticized for something. Remember the NY times article about employee wages and then the press release that they were increasing wages. Then there was the working conditions in china, which they then opened up to human rights groups to inspect. Then there was the thing where they ditched the green certification, and then got back on it. I think there's another example i missing.

Someone with great conviction won't apologize for their mistakes if they believe in the big picture. The Apple apologies might diminish their character a little.

Then again people with great character can admit when they're wrong. I don't know what to think.

It does seem like it'll help people (and the media) get past this maps issue.

macandkanga

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I'm old enough to remember when you actually had to use a real map. One from AAA or a Thomas Guide. The fact that people have enough time to complain about this is amazing.

I guess I still use common sense. I expected a new product to be a bit buggy. I expected that if they wanted to provide turn by turn for free and the partner company would not comply, they would build their own. I would expect an apology and some insight from the company. I would expect, as Tim Cook said, they will fix it.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I just don't understand it when companies make these types of damaging mistakes when the average person could have easily weighed the pros and cons of keeping or deleting the Google Maps.

Delete Google Maps
Pro:
*we will introduce our own app and compete with Google

Con:
*we will really upset MILLIONS of people who rely on Google Maps if our Maps app is not up to par
*people who lose their iPhones won't be able to pinpoint its location as accurately

Keep Google Maps
Pro:
*We will still introduce our own app and compete with Google
*It will give us one more year to work on our app and improve it
*People will have an alternative in case they don't like our beta Maps app and will simply revert back to Google with much less, if no, backlash
*People who voluntarily choose our app are more likely to report problems so that we can improve it as opposed to people who are upset at us because we forced it on them

Con:
*the license will expire soon

I'm sure others can come up with a list on their own but ultimately, I don't understand how Apple concluded it would be best to force a beta app on people as opposed to the alternative. All of this embarrassment could have been avoided.

just use the web app

it has 95% of the functionality of the old app. for the rest of us the navigation is what we want

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Huh? Apple admitting their shortcomings is a good thing. Would you rather them pretend there is no problem?

How so? For all the moaning about the loss of the old maps, it really wasn't that good. It lacked turn-by-turn navigation, which put iOS at a serious disadvantage to Android. Apple tried their own solution, released it too early, realizes it, and is helping people find alternatives in the interim.

This is a lot better response than "don't hold it that way," or "all phones do that."

Don't get me wrong guys, I LOVE the new Apple maps. I"m sure there are a lot of people out there affected by the bad data, but their software is perfect.

It's just a shame that this got "overblown" and Apple had to stoop this low to appease everyone, even though I feel they didn't have to.

Dudical

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
User error!

It's sad that Apple has had to apologize for what is just user error. Apple's map data is 100% correct, otherwise they would not have launched it. It's as simple as that.

If your search shows that your favorite restaurant is in the "wrong" place, you need to ask yourself "why would this restaurant lie to me?" Do you really want to eat at places that lie about their location?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
In my opinion Tim Cook's real mistake was not explaining before hand why Apple did what they did with Maps. Everyone keeps assuming it was a screw-up, but I'm of the opinion that it was the right thing to do and that given the circumstances there was no really better way to do it. Here are some points.

1. Google would not provide services that would let the iPhone be at parity with Android, or at least would not do so without unreasonable concessions.

2. Google doesn't currently have an app to compete with what Apple released. Yes, they have the old app still, but it's functionality is far short of what the new Maps app has, despite problems with accuracy.

3. The way a map app gets good is that lots of people use it and report errors. Keeping both apps side by side would dramatically slow down the improvement and Maps would never be able to catch up to google.

Strategically, this was played extremely well. They leave Google without an answer until they can combine the code base of Google earth with a Map app (not going to happen in just a few weeks). Most people will grumble a little and keep using Maps, making it better and in a year or so, everyone will forget it happened. All of these other scenarios that people are proposing would have been much worse for Apple. But, as I said, Tim should have just come out and told us, "Hey we need your help to get away from a strangle hold that Google has on us. Please be patient with this app and help us improve it, it will be better for all of us in the long run." Had he done that, most of us would have sucked it up and it would be a much smaller story. Just my 2 cents.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I like Maps and will not be downloading any alternatives. I have reported a bunch of POI errors to Apple so I hope they actually make the changes so it's more polished. I'm willing to wait.

cgmpowers

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2002
Siri and iPhone Maps

I personally haven't had too many problems with the iPhone apps or Siri, and when I did, even my other maps (the car's built in navigation system) or a third party GPS app on my iPhone also had similar problems. Heck, I've even had Google maps put me on the wrong side of an intersection more than once...

Maps aren't easy, roads change and there's 55,650,943 miles of roads in the US and it changes literally every day as roadwork commences through the nation. Buildings go up, they go down, business relocate, and you can only get it so accurate before it changes again.

Its amazing it works as good as it does, even Google should admit their first crack at maps were less than stellar. Anyone remember Mapquests first maps?? I do, they suu'uucked.

Christopher Powers

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Good alternative to the Google Maps monopoly.

Note that Google added street view to their mobile site quickly after iOS 6 was released.

stewy

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Kingston, ON
I also have had no problems with iPhone 5 or iOS 6. I love em both. That being said, Im proud to be part of a company that is so good at what they do most of the time and yet admits when they mess up (abet not very often).

Ps. I have no problems with Apple Maps and Im happy with Apple getting ride of the crappy google maps that were built into iOS.

Take off your iblinders bro... Even cook has admitted that Google maps is better.

Tannerjr

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
I'm no marketing genius, but… releasing the public apology = pretty smooth. Showing all of your "unhappy "customers all of the other inferior options (which they could buy IN YOUR APP STORE)… GENIUS!

Apple may look dumb here, but will again go down in history for winning even WHILE they're losing.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
1. Google would not provide services that would let the iPhone be at parity with Android, or at least would not do so without unreasonable concessions.

I think you need to rephrase this. That google wouldn't do so without concessions Apple was willing to make. Saying google's request was unreasonable is prejudicial. Perhaps unreasonable to Apple - but that doesn't make it unreasonable to 3rd parties and/or Google.

It's taking time for them to change it to TimTim navigation

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Google really dropped the ball by not having a standalone Maps iOS App ready to go. I still find it hard to believe they were truly blindsided by the change with Apple's public record of acquiring mapping assets over the past few years.

There is no real benefit for Google to release a maps application for iOS. They would rather see it founder and people complain than release an app. I think they see the lack of google maps as something with greater value than any advertising revenue or other traffic that would be generated by a new application.

I hate than i think I am right on this.. I want a new maps app also..

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
This going a bit too far now. If you can't find a replacement map ap on the store - you should be flogged in public.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
tumblr_m3tw3apI8V1r5kojao2_1280.jpg

Ouch!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.