Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Can we finally just let this go and accept the fact that there are other options and that Apple is working to fix it?

Too bad none of these fix Runkeeper for me, or my Tim Hortons locator, or the MLS real-estate app I use to browse properties, or the... and the list goes on.

All these apps are Map Kit using apps and were broken for me in iOS 6. I can't "download from the App Store" my way to making these function, nor can I "homescreen bookmark maps.google.com" either to help me.

The only solution is wait for Apple to fix it. So sorry if you don't like it, I will voice my concern until I'm ready to let it go and accept the fact that Apple replaced a perfectly functioning solution in Map Kit with a broken one.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
It takes Apple 12 month, sometimes 16 month to release a new phone, and after all it comes not properly tested. This becomes a pattern. Antennagate, mapgate, scratchgate. I also hear now about problems with the new display.

And this is all, while talking about Apple highest quality. "It just works" becomes a joke.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
Should just pay Google what they wanted for their maps program with turn by turn and called it a day.. but no Apple had to be stubborn about it and now look where it got them. Sorry apple but your best days are behind you now.

Google wanted more than money. Google wanted control of the maps app and at least at one point, to include Latitude in iOS. Considering Google can't even keep all their own Android apps even remotely consistent with their own UI guidelines, I'm glad Apple didn't let them in.

Hell, in Google Nav on Android, you can click one menu and get the Gingerbread UI style then click another menu and get the ICS UI style.

Apple is the best at hardware IMHO.
Apple is better at OS development than Google IMHO.
Google is the best at backend services (email, maps, etc) IMHO.

Renzatic

Suspended
So basically Apple is saying come to us for great hardware but go elsewhere for software?

I've always felt that way about Apple. They make some of the best hardware in the industry, but their software? Eh. It's not bad, but a little too simplified and restrictive for my tastes.

If Apple were to open up just a little bit more, I'd be considerably happier with iOS. I'm not expecting Android openness here. Just allowing me to set default apps would practically be enough.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There is no real benefit for Google to release a maps application for iOS. They would rather see it founder and people complain than release an app. I think they see the lack of google maps as something with greater value than any advertising revenue or other traffic that would be generated by a new application.

I hate than i think I am right on this.. I want a new maps app also..

For now - google has already "won" for the time being.

Apple has admitted that their maps are inferior (for now) - and even advertised google and other companies with alternatives.

If Google had an app from day one - Apple probably wouldn't have gotten so much heat because people would just use the app and complain less about Apple.

digibdallas

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
Newport Beach, CA USA
:)

Nobody's perfect although Apple is pretty close. I think the letter from Tim Cook and this new optional maps suggestion is a step in the right direction. This mistake is only going to make them refine processes and make products better in the future.

Lets all move on. Maps will be back soon or someone else will take the ball and run with it. Either way we have options. Isn't that what the iPhone is all about anyway? Options. Today Apple apologized and offered suggestions including Google. I'm impressed.

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
New Maps App seems fine in my area (Northern Virginia, US). I have TomTom for turn-by-turn with all map data loaded on the phone (essential for a dependable GPS IMHO and neither old nor new map apps do this). The Map App is useful due to its speed (quick to load, even on my iPhone 4) and clarity of presentation. I made an "app bookmark", as Tim referred to, for Google Transit. The web app and dedicated app would only work with net connection so not a big difference.

I applaud how Apple has handled this. Everyone makes mistakes – the test is in how they recover from mistakes. Well played, IMHO.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
I haven't had too many issues with the maps app either. The only issue I have is it doesn't auto 're-route'.

It does for me, but it doesn't verbally announce it like other GPS solutions do. It just gives new routing instructions based on your new position, having deviated from the previous instructions.

Also, I must say that Apple's map routing is THE FIRST to route me towards a turn near my home that every other stand alone or iOS GPS app has tried to send me a different way. I was blown away when it did that.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I've always felt that way about Apple. They make some of the best hardware in the industry, but their software? Eh. It's not bad, but a little too simplified and restrictive for my tastes.

If Apple were to open up just a little bit more, I'd be considerably happier with iOS. I'm not expecting Android openness here. Just allowing me to set default apps would practically be enough.

The smartest thing Apple did was open the App Store. Because what they did was allow other people to take advantage of the OS and hardware and fill in any/all gaps that were there. And when Apple found things to be overwhelmingly successful - they bought/borrowed/etc the functionality and incorporated it.

Panorama, using the volume button as a camera trigger, siri, etc.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
How about enabling the downgrade to iOS 5.1.1 along with this fine solution?

I'm still running 5.1.1 on my 4S for this and other reasons. My map app is working fine. iOS 6 is just a bad joke all around, you lose your mapping but gain what? panoramas? It's easier to tweet or post on facebook about how badly the OS sucks?

A lesson I learned about Apple is you never, never try any of their products right away, you wait until you hear about stuff like this from the suckers. Remember the iTunes update that reformatted everybody's hard drives and bricked their macs if they had more than 1 partition? That was my favourite but not only example.

I don't understand this psychotic mad rush to the newest version apple fanatics have now, it never used to be like that, and newer is never better on the first try.

Renzatic

Suspended
It takes Apple 12 month, sometimes 16 month to release a new phone, and after all it comes not properly tested. This becomes a pattern. Antennagate, mapgate, scratchgate. I also hear now about problems with the new display.

And this is all, while talking about Apple highest quality. "It just works" becomes a joke.

I think this is the way they've always been. Apple isn't comprised of a bunch of super competent ultra awesome miracle workers who are literally 1000x better than anyone else in the industry. They have the same problems with hardware and software as anyone else.

The biggest difference is the more rabid core of the fanbase has a tendency to severely underplay Apple's problems while blowing up everyone else's.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
one would still need GPS right? (iPhone has Assited GPS) is that right?

once you are way out of the cell towers it does NOT work right?

garmin or tomtom are they good investment for $50? I have a garmin GPS which I use for driving; google maps for transit. any input appreciated!

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
I've had zero issues with Apple maps so far! yes I do miss to be able to find businesses and yelp doesn't even work in mexico so I use foursquare other than that it's perfectly fine

I've had zero issues with my car so far. Yes I do miss to able to start the engine and there is no bus where I live so I walk. Other than that my car is perfectly fine.

;)

macolit

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Maps frenzy

If all you do with your iPhone is using maps then just move to android because google maps is the only original thing there everything else is a copy of IOS.
Let the 'thermo nuclear war begin', :mad:

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Mapgate? What next? Free TomTom for everyone?
This is getting out of proportion, the new Maps works, location is great. The problem are the satellite images and places info, both will get better.

You can see a brigde in 3D? Melted roads? Come on, is not a 100% live like feature, the 3D maps just give you an idea of how the area looks like.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
why dont they just make the old google maps app downloadable on the app store? Everybody wins.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
The biggest difference is the more rabid core of the fanbase has a tendency to severely underplay Apple's problems while blowing up everyone else's.

Ironically, after spending time on both sides of the fence, it is my opinion that that extreme core not only exist with both Apple and Google, but the Google extremist have become worse than the thing they hate most, the Apple extremist.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Does this strike anyone else as slightly embarrassing for Apple?

Not anymore embarassing than the iPhone 4 antenna, or the MobileMe launch, or Ping, or the G4 Cube fiasco, or the original MacBook Air over-heating issues, or FCP X's launch.

**** happens. This time it was Maps. There will be more "embarassement" in the future to be sure, just like there's plenty in the past. Apple isn't perfect, nor should anyone expect them to be. How they react to criticism and how they fix these issues is what makes them good, not the fact that they never have them in the first place.

We should have a like button under the news.

I like this.

Apple is finally becoming quick in responding to bad things. Sure, bad things happen, that's normal. It's always about how to respond to it. And this is good.

Only issue I had though were some POIs that were already gone. But they are also still in my Navigon (Q3 2012 maps), although I reported them some time ago already.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
not anymore embarassing than the iphone 4 antenna, or the mobileme launch, or ping, or the g4 cube fiasco, or the original macbook air over-heating issues, or fcp x's launch.

**** happens. This time it was maps. There will be more "embarassement" in the future to be sure, just like there's plenty in the past. Apple isn't perfect, nor should anyone expect them to be. How they react to criticism and how they fix these issues is what makes them good, not the fact that they never have them in the first place.

+1

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009

iPhone 5 is the cheapest iPhone apple has ever produced at a parts cost of $180. Timmy is cutting corners everywhere and it's showing everywhere. The people who talk about Apple highest quality are dinosaurs living in the past.

The cheap aluminum case and flimsy build of the 5 actually does feel like crap compared to any comparably priced android phone. And every high-end android phone gives you true 720p, not apple's low-res garbage.

Not only is apple no longer highest quality, Timmy is doing everything he can to win the race to the bottom. I wish the fanatics here would actually spend 30 minutes with a competing product and an open mind. This forum should be interesting though in a year when Apple is choking on everyone else's dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.