Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Give an unknown Java applet unlimited read and write access to everything on my Mac? I think not ...

It's reputable, I've used it for years. I don't know about unlimited read and write access, but it doesn't show any signs of accessing anything on my computer, it just processes the video and gives me the download links.

jW

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
It's reputable, I've used it for years. I don't know about unlimited read and write access, but it doesn't show any signs of accessing anything on my computer, it just processes the video and gives me the download links.

jW

OSX 10.8.2 gives a warning that the applet is requesting unlimited read & write access to my computer. I've not known any other java applet ask for that, and I'm certainly not going to grant it.

viborg

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2007
The Lion Preview.app seems to be blacklistet in ML through the "Bundle version=719.25" entry in the Info.plist. So I changed it to something higher (760 in this case - 765 is the version-number from ML Preview.app). Now the app fails to start, because modifying the plist-file apparently broke the signing.

Just found this thread through a link in another forum...so apparently the new Preview still sucks, maybe now more than ever. I couldn't find this line in the Info.plist file but I did find a reference to the version in the version.plist file, so I tried changing that one. But when I try to use the command line to fix the signing, I get an error message saying "object file format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable". Could it be Apple is on to us? Or is this more an issue of my personal failings? Thanks in advance for any response.

maurizioplll

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Just found this thread through a link in another forum...so apparently the new Preview still sucks, maybe now more than ever. I couldn't find this line in the Info.plist file but I did find a reference to the version in the version.plist file, so I tried changing that one. But when I try to use the command line to fix the signing, I get an error message saying "object file format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable". Could it be Apple is on to us? Or is this more an issue of my personal failings? Thanks in advance for any response.

I have the same issue here. Seems the hack does not work anymore. Any solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.