Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I've said it once and I'll say it again

Macrumors needs an OCD subforum

(edit: In other words a subforum for all the cosmetic-only complaints)

This happens every single time a new phone comes out.

It's become nearly impossible to enjoy this forum after having to sift through pages and pages of people complaining about small blemishes. With an OCD subforum people could freely express their OCD tendencies, talk with others who have such high expectations and not worry about being flammed/called trolls.

My personal thoughts
Sure it sucks that the phone isn't 100% perfect, but with normal use the phone will probably get dinged in the first few weeks.

No one expects a multi thousand dollar car to be 100% defect free, why should a $400 phone be?

Last edited:

backfire103

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
I agree. I bitched about my Wifi dropping the connection outside of a 5 foot radius of an access point, but that's a legitimate problem with the phone. I got a replacement phone, which works great. Sure the home button sticks a little but I'm not complaining. Its a great phone and if it drives me nuts, down the road I'll get another replacement. The phone cant be perfect forever.

moneyman118

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Why bother reading their thread? You made the effort to read it, why complain about it?

Just my initial thought.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
It is well known that the OCD boys come out in full force in the first few weeks of an Apple product release

You already know this, so refrain yourself and come back after a few months.

;)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I know what you mean. My new iPhone 5 just arrived, but I wont use it yet because I dont have a case and screen protectors yet. Its just sitting on my desk.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
That and the, what color shirt will you be wearing the exact minute u purchase your new iPhone?!? Lol gets ridiculous to see all this.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Why bother reading their thread? You made the effort to read it, why complain about it?

1) It's hard to guess the original intent of some of the posts due to use of vague thread titles.

2)As someone mentioned it's hard to avoid when there are pages and pages of complaints

3) I'm perfectly content reading about people with actual complaints (bad battery/wifi issues/etc) as these problems may affect the use of the phone.

4) Perhaps instead of calling it OCD subforum we can call it "Blemishes/cosmetic" subforum. Since these complaints have nothing to do with how the phone actually functions.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
We always get OCD people every single year regardless of the issues, but it seems worse this year because of a batch of iPhone 5 (both black and white models) arriving nicked and scratched out of the box. It certainly wasn't this bad with previous generation iPhones.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
We always get OCD people every single year regardless of the issues, but it seems worse this year because of a batch of iPhone 5 (both black and white models) arriving nicked and scratched out of the box. It certainly wasn't this bad with previous generation iPhones.

Not true this crap happens every time an iPhone is released. Or did we all already forget about all the "yellow screen" complaints

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Just my initial thought.

Because you have to read subject line after subject line of the same crap before you get to a thread that's actually worth reading. Same thing goes for duplicate threads. They make the forum difficult to navigate for useful threads.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
i have to agree.

This forum has gone from sharing and offering value added information to just a...... well.....

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I didn't say it doesn't happen, but it seems worse this year (the "yellow screen" complaints pale in comparison to the nicked and scratched out of the box complaints).

Not really. All of these threads/complaints every year are always about not receiving a "perfect phone" straight out of the box.

There were people who replaced their iP4's 5-10 times because their screen looked yellow

and before that you had people doing the same thing because of a tiny speck of dust

and before that you had people doing the same thing because of a single stuck subpixel

etc etc

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Macrumors needs an OCD subforum

None of the posts represent OCD. The correct term is anal retentive.

From the article:
"The term anal-retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person."

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not really. All of these threads/complaints every year are always about not receiving a "perfect phone" straight out of the box.

There were people who replaced their iP4's 5-10 times because their screen looked yellow

and before that you had people doing the same thing because of a tiny speck of dust

and before that you had people doing the same thing because of a single stuck subpixel

etc etc

Yellow screens are subjective. A tiny speak of dust and a single stuck subpixel are clearly OCD. However, nicked and scratched out of the box is obvious to the vast majority of the population and that's what makes it worse.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

From the article:
"The term anal-retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person."

Thank you. There isn't much more around this forum that bothers me more than people describing the perfectionist tendencies as OCD. Have a look around the internet and educate yourselves on what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder actually entails.

Shenaniganz08

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010

From the article:

I'm well aware that its not 100% accurate to use that term, but it's commonly used/easily understood what I meant by most people.

For example a lot of people will incorrectly call crossed eyes (medical term:strabismus) "lazy eyed" but that term actually refers to the medical condition amblyopia.

There are many terms used to describe the same kind of personality. A more medically correct term is OCPD.

Look at this post for example, its one of the worst examples I've seen

mine have a gap and jagged line between glass and aluminium. :C
Gonna call them on Monday for a new set exchange.

DEA57B85-7BCC-499B-AD96-B226E3CE5BEF-1467-00000089322ADD87_zps66214222.jpg

Last edited:

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
The iPhone is a tool, not some kind of holy grail. Scuffs, scratches, and dust dont affect the performance.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just to be clear about OCD...

Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder is an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions).

Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts, but this only provides temporary relief. Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety.

I think the correct way to classify the OP's concerns is to say that some folks are just more picky than others about the build quality of their devices.

With that said, I don't believe we need another sub-forum to address these issues. In time, likely not too much, it will die down and things will return to a more normal status in the iPhone forums. It's only been a week and many people still haven't received their orders yet.

This shouldn't be a long term issue of discussion warranting a new sub-forum. Creating one would give a permanent solution to a temporary issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.