Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
The carriers don't want you to be able to use it for phone calls.

I would pay to see someone use a device this large as a phone. It's already hilarious to watch someone use an S3, which covers the better part of their face.

sjenkins49

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I'm not going to say "it'll never happen" because the iPhone 4S and the naming of the iPhone 5 were both surprises to me :)

However, with both the iPod touch and iPhone 5 there were a ton of leaks. People dug into the SDK and found the 4" iPhone's screen size.

With the new Macs at WWDC there were leaks: Remember the disappointing Macbook Pro specs? The rumours of a Retina MacBook Pro? Both turned out to be true.

Yet there's been virtually nothing about the iPad mini - it just seems like everyone WANTS it to happen.

The iPhone 5 runs all previous iPhone apps "like the developer intended" - how would the iPad mini do this with iPad apps?

I totally agree.

The other thing is we never see Apple compete in price wars with other brands. Everyone can wish all they want that Apple plays in the price wars but until their sales start dropping off I don't see it happening.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
while holding an ipad by your face is severely practical

some cultures..

Never heard of something called a bluetooth headset? ;)

I can see the ipad-mini combining with a dumbphone. Use the phone for basic calls/sms, while your ipad does the rest (gaming/surfing/email etc). Not sure if this necessarily cannibalises sales.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Thanks for the link.

That's exactly the type of report I was referring to earlier... nothin' but estimates:

• Google's Nexus 7 tablet is on course to shift more than 8 million units in 2012, according to sales estimates.

• The website believes that the search engine giant will sell 3 million Nexus 7 units in the third quarter, and between 3 and 5 million in in the fourth, which would see the device exceed Google's targets. <-- (what are those targets?)

• The platform holder is hoping to sell 3 million Nexus 7 tablets in 2012.
So... there are analysts who predicted a certain number of sales by a certain date. Fantastic.

But after that date... will we get verification?

Are we just supposed to accept the estimates written in an article 3 months prior... and turn those into facts?

I realize the Nexus 7 has only been on the market for a couple months. All we can do is predict going forward through 2012.

BUT.... unless Google, Inc puts out a press release on January 1, 2013 with ACTUAL numbers about how many they sold in 2012... then the analysts can shove those numbers up their ass :)

Then again... Amazon has NEVER shared their sales numbers of the Kindle... so I guess that makes it OK?

I know what you mean. It's just like when S3 shipping numbers were released. Samsung was pleased as punch to send out the press release claiming 9 mil units preordered to ship, but was inexplicably silent when end-user based hard numbers were in question. Atleast with Samsung, there was some sort of math done. I've no idea where analylists pull their numbers from.

xmiku

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
I already have, with the huge amount of hardware failures on my 2011 27in iMac, unless the next iMac, or Mac pro really have something friggen awesome, I am done with Apple, which is a shame, I've bought tons of Macs over the years and loved tons of them, but the last two have been terrible. My PC's have never given me this kinda trouble.

But, Apple has surprised me before ( Like with the G5, I was so tempted when they came out, fresh outta college, paychecks piling up like no tommarow, then the dual 1.8 came out, bought it in an instant, Love that machine to this day, and my Dual 2.7 G5 as well ). So I can hope.

Now apple is obsessed with making iToy crap. Sure it makes them more money, and more power to em.

But its sad that the Mac is dead. And has been dead for some time.

Mac = HEY I GOT AN IDEA. LETS TAKE OSX, TURN IT INTO HALF iOS/OSX AND MAKE IT UNSTABLE. Its totally insane, Windows XP/7/8/OSX/10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6 have not given me 1/2 the trouble OSX 10.7 and 10.8 ( BIG improvement, but still needs work imo ) have.

I miss mah Good Macs. I don't care about an nice looking phone with an oudated OS and a broken Map App, and I don't care about ****** Apple TV, nor do I care about the garbage fake uselss iPad.

Lets here some news about MACS for once. Ya know, real tools for real users? Ya know? The Mac? The product that Put apple on the map?

Couldn't agree more... :-(

I absolutely hate Apple becoming an iDevice company. I no longer consider OS X to be a superior system.

Imac&SoShouldU

macrumors member
I don't understand where this fits into the apple inc product line...won't an "iPad mini" cannibalize the iPod touch and the bigger iPad's sales? Consumers who can't afford an iPad will buy an iPad mini & people that want an iPod touch will say I might as well get an iPad mini (if the price point is similar)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Wouldn't a $400 USD 7" product just start cannibalizing the $300 and $500 tiers at that price point?

If all those products make money... who cares which ones people buy? Apple will make hefty margins on EVERY product they sell... or else they wouldn't offer them at all.

And there's always the upsell potential. $300 brings you into the store for the iPad Mini. But you can get the bigger iPad 2 for $400. And Retina for $500. And the price goes even higher for more capacity and LTE.

It's the same thing I noticed when pricing the MacBook Air:

$1000 - 11" MacBook Air 64GB
$1100 - 11" MacBook Air 128GB
$1200 - 13" Macbook Air 128GB

Damn... only $200 more gets you a bigger screen AND double the storage of the entry-level model? That seems like the winner.

But it wouldn't matter if someone did choose the cheapest 11" Air... because Apple still profits from it anyway.

Does the 11" Air cannibalize the 13" Air? Obviously not in Apple's eyes. They both make money.

Throughout this thread I keep hearing "Where does the iPad mini fit into Apple's product line?"

Guess what... Apple already makes 3 different sizes of laptops... 2 different sizes of iMacs... 5 types of iPods... and 3 models of phones.

Yet people are baffled by the concept of an additional iPad model... :confused:

When the iPhone 4S came out last year... 89% of iPhone sales were the more expensive iPhone 4S... not the cheaper iPhone 4.

And the more expensive Retina iPad outsold the cheaper iPad 2 as well.

On the flipside... the cheaper MacBooks outsell their more expensive brothers.

But it doesn't matter... because ALL Apple products make gobs of money... regardless of what they are. Again... Apple doesn't sell a product unless it makes a healthy profit.

Amazon and Google are happy to sell a product at cost or below... because hardware isn't their main business. They make money on content sales and advertising... high volume, low margins.

But Apple IS a hardware company... decent volume, and incredible margins.

So no... I don't think Apple is worried about cannibalization among their own products. Any Apple product you buy still earns them a pretty penny.

As for where the iPad Mini "fits in" I suggest you go to the Apple Store and look around. Apple has a pretty diverse product line. :)

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Keep dreaming guys and gilrs. This product will be released but it will not be $200. It will not be $300. Your looking at $350 to $400 starting. Apple stocks will not hit $1000 per share with a $200 tablet. That's all everyone cares about; stock prices. Innovation and customer experience is thrown out the window because of this. All we can expect is a new round of lawsuits to slow down the competition. They can sue Samsung every other week but not release a map update in the same time period. Recommending competitor maps/apps???? Apple has lost it.
Time to get back to the basics and fix your bread and butter device; the iPhone.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Keep dreaming guys and gilrs. This product will be released but it will not be $200. It will not be $300. Your looking at $350 to $400 starting. Apple stocks will not hit $1000 per share with a $200 tablet. That's all everyone cares about; stock prices. Innovation and customer experience is thrown out the window because of this. All we can expect is a new round of lawsuits to slow down the competition. They can sue Samsung every other week but not release a map update in the same time period. Recommending competitor maps/apps???? Apple has lost it.
Time to get back to the basics and fix your bread and butter device; the iPhone.

Isn't there some place else you can troll?

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
iPad Mini is coming very soon. Incase all of you forgot, Apple never gave a release date for the new iPods, just in October, along with iTunes 11. Likely small keynote for iPad mini and iPod/iTunes 11 release dates.

Luckybobby

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
Are you guys crazy - Apple is going to sell a gazillion of these "Mini-Pads!" It'll be a perfect size for when the "Maxi-Pad" is just too cumbersome. I can see my mini laying around the home-theater room as an ideally sized remote-control for AppleTV, Netflix, Roku, surround-sound and/or stereo systems. It's also a more convenient size for controlling things like a Parrot AR Drone Helicopter, and could also be an amazing gesture-controlled trackpad interface for Final Cut, iMovie, Logic, etc. And when you finish editing, you just disconnect the trackpad and carry it as a portable screening station to show friends and clients at you kids' soccer game.

I believe that Tim has some significant, tightly integrated and yet to be revealed products in the pipeline - and newly rumored MacPro and iMac updates could bring Apple back into the professional/broadcast editing venue almost overnight. Using a fast, multi-core iMac with Thunderbolt connectors, a G-Tech Thunderbolt RAID-5, an AJA Thunderbolt to HDMI breakout box for connecting an external HDMI video monitor, and a gesture-controlled Mini-Pad for your left hand and mouse in the right, TV stations could have an amazingly fast and powerful editing and graphics workstation (for less than $5000) that'd blow you hair back! Even in a major-market, TV stations could easily get by with 10 or less basic editing workstations, and then maybe 2 MacPro workstations for any "heavy-lift" graphics compositing for program "promotional" spots and show opens.

The Mini-Pad is going to happen - and I strongly suspect it'll be in time for the 2012/13 holiday season.

A lot of people don't know sarcasm when they see it so please put /Sarcasam/ in your post.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
For the love of god, it's not going to happen. The whole idea seemed ridiculous in the first place.

What resolution would it get, and wasn't the resolution fragmentation something apple wanted to prevent?

it's funny cuz right before Iphone 5 release, someone commented the same thing as you did..despite all the pics and rumor. LOL. it looked very realy and it does make sense to COMPETE with other vendors that already had this in the current market.

I would buy it.. it's better than having samsung note. LOL

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
They have to do something... this Nexus7 w/ Jelly Bean is just amazing. Great hardware, great form factor and the first version of Android that doesn't suck.

Not to mention an awesome price point.

Last edited:

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
If all those products make money... who cares which ones people buy? Apple will make hefty margins on EVERY product they sell... or else they wouldn't offer them at all.

And there's always the upsell potential. $300 brings you into the store for the iPad Mini. But you can get the bigger iPad 2 for $400. And Retina for $500. And the price goes even higher for more capacity and LTE.

It's the same thing I noticed when pricing the MacBook Air:

$1000 - 11" MacBook Air 64GB
$1100 - 11" MacBook Air 128GB
$1200 - 13" Macbook Air 128GB

Damn... only $200 more gets you a bigger screen AND double the storage of the entry-level model? That seems like the winner.

But it wouldn't matter if someone did choose the cheapest 11" Air... because Apple still profits from it anyway.

Does the 11" Air cannibalize the 13" Air? Obviously not in Apple's eyes. They both make money.

Throughout this thread I keep hearing "Where does the iPad mini fit into Apple's product line?"

Guess what... Apple already makes 3 different sizes of laptops... 2 different sizes of iMacs... 5 types of iPods... and 3 models of phones.

Yet people are baffled by the concept of an additional iPad model... :confused:

When the iPhone 4S came out last year... 89% of iPhone sales were the more expensive iPhone 4S... not the cheaper iPhone 4.

And the more expensive Retina iPad outsold the cheaper iPad 2 as well.

On the flipside... the cheaper MacBooks outsell their more expensive brothers.

But it doesn't matter... because ALL Apple products make gobs of money... regardless of what they are. Again... Apple doesn't sell a product unless it makes a healthy profit.

Amazon and Google are happy to sell a product at cost or below... because hardware isn't their main business. They make money on content sales and advertising... high volume, low margins.

But Apple IS a hardware company... decent volume, and incredible margins.

So no... I don't think Apple is worried about cannibalization among their own products. Any Apple product you buy still earns them a pretty penny.

As for where the iPad Mini "fits in" I suggest you go to the Apple Store and look around. Apple has a pretty diverse product line. :)

you made a very good point. :D

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Screen is 4:3, you are just used to the iPad having thick bezels on all 4 sides.

I really wish Apple would just make the iPad Mini $399 and use the same quality Retina screen as in the iPad 3. Going for 1024x768 in a 7.85" display when the Kindle Fire HD is 1280x800 and the Nook Tablet HD is 1440x900 is a really noticeable difference, especially in reading. One also wonders if we aren't going to see the A6 pop up as well.

The screen really is the sticking point. 1024x768 is going to look plain bad next to the alternatives. No getting around that. But there's also no getting around the fact that many people *do* prefer the 7" form factor, and Apple is missing out on that market.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
As much as some don't want to see an iPad Mini, its going to happen. I believe Jim said the event would be in October. Jim is NEVER wrong, unless the date has changed.

Plus Apple needs to update the iPad 3 to the lighting cable. It all makes sense now...months ago, they said there would be a minor update to the iPad 3...I guess we know the reasoning now.

iPad Mini and iPad 3 update, with the new port next month...just in time for those Black Friday and Christmas sales. Brilliant thinking, Apple.

Perfect timing for the new iTunes 11 release next month as well. Its all lining up.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
People also said the iPhone 5 wasn't going to be called the iPhone 5 and we know how that turned out...

There was nothing ridiculous or un-Apple-like about naming the newest iPhone the iPhone 5 (since 5 = 4+1). Fragmentation is un-Apple-like.

----------

I've been waiting so long for this! IMO the best size for an iPad.

I'm not really sure which size is better for an iPad if you're using it as a lightweight PC, but this is perfect for car and house integration. The original iPad is too big for those uses. Crestron devices that just control your home theater cost $1000+, and an iPad mini would do a better job at a much lower price.

----------

The iPhone 5 runs all previous iPhone apps "like the developer intended" - how would the iPad mini do this with iPad apps?

Downscaling would work. Mac OS does that, I think.

----------

Yeppers! Next year! After most of Apples Prosumer and Pro customers have made the jump to the PC.

Cmon Apple, your one of the most wealthy companies in the world.

Dell can update a dozen models every few months.

Are you saying you cant update 2 models in over a year?

Yeah, seriously, I always feel like Apple is a small company struggling against the superior resources of its huge competitors. Then I remember their company value. The iOS stuff is really nice, but my favorite Apple product is Mac OS, the only OS for the PC that isn't frustrating to use.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I am not sure how apple will justify the price point after watching the release of new ipod touch 5th Gen. it starts $299. now, new ipad costs $499. so I guess if ipad mini will be $399, who will buy it? for reference, 7 inch tablet starts $199. even you can get 16GB model (amazon kindle fire HD) only by $199. if apple will release it with $399, it will be failed for sure. you can just get new ipad with $100 more. it's much better. I heard the rumors that new ipad mini wouldn't be retina display as well. who will like it? I don't think so. it is just failed. I hope that apple wouldn't make it. they'd better know how the market starts to share. don't make any mistake.

(update) I think that new ipod touch 5th Gen. is new ipad mini. it's perfect to carry all over the place. it newly changed design. why not?

It'll still sell millions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.