Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steilkurve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Ok. At my second IP5. First had a scratch out of the box. Exchanged at Apple Store. Examined for scratches but not this, a gap between bezel and plastic band in the upper right corner, near power button. Not a huge thing but I am picky admittedly. Anyone else has it? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348787416.161268.jpg

steilkurve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Thanks. Do you have a link those photos? I would love to see for myself that I'm not the only one with the problem!

steilkurve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
I cant see a problem.

Thanks. The photo doesn't do it justice. There is a bit of a space between the aluminum bezel and the plastic band in the upper right corner. Everywhere else around the phone, that you are pretty much tight together. There though, there is a space between those two elements of the phone.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Yea I noticed a microscopic gap on my iPhone. It catches tiny pieces of dirt and lent occasionally.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
I can relate because I'm OCD, too. However, the phone is appears to be within spec. The thresholds for fitting these parts together must allow for some room to insert the screen into the aluminum bezel/back. The fact that it isn't perfectly uniform is going to be something you'll see again and again. Just try to enjoy the phone.

steilkurve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Will do my best not to notice by I am most certainly OCD when it comes to my device. But I guess recognizing it is the first step. ;-)

steilkurve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Actually can't find it on instagram now there's too many new pics

But I did find CNET's review unit has the issue

Yes, the same kind of gap my phone has. Except on my phone, it's in the upper right corner. Anyone else has this?

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Yes, the same kind of gap my phone has. Except on my phone, it's in the upper right corner. Anyone else has this?

Yes I have this on the other side of my phone infact. I am not going to worry about it. Seems kind of silly the amount of hoops people are jumping through to get a "perfect" iphone 5. Im not here to judge what anybody wants to do but I love this phone, glad I chose white, and I really dont feel like putting myself at risk for another issue. To be honest I bet alot of other phones have this, but it is probably very hard to see on the black phones.

kultyper

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
I have the same exact problem. Upper right corner. I'm thinking its normal though. Did you get it exchanged or just kept it?

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
The it's normal argument would make more sense if it was all the way around the phone. The fact that it is isolated to regions and that these regions are different on every phone that has the issue I'd say it is not normal at all. Notice that the perfectly rendered iPhone 5 on the apple website doesn't have this gap. Granted this phone is massed produced and they wanted 5 million to be made so yeah I'm thinking this first batch isn't exactly the cream of the iPhone 5 crop.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Ummm, that picture is obviously taken at a slight angle which makes for an unfair corner to corner comparison.

I'll be the first to be OCD about my stuff, but some of these issues that people are complaining about are a bit much.

What?!? how is it obviously at an angle. It looks like it's laying flat on a microfiber cloth while he takes a picture from above.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
People, stick a business card in the gap and try to run it all around the phone. I did this and the card only goes through the top section, not the sides or bottom.

droeun

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
LOL I don't see anything. Does yours have this problem with brightness up in the dark?

iphone5-light-leak.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.