Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
Anyone elses glass getting scratched for no reason? I wipe with the same cloth I've used with my 4S - and that glass is flawless. My iPhone 5 already has three light scratches by the camera :mad:

WarEagle16

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
DMV
With ya

I have also experienced some light scratches near the top of the front of my phone. :( I have been trying to baby this thing while I wait on my Invisible Shield to be delivered, but no such luck. They are minor and only noticeable at the right angle, so I am hoping the added layer of the shield will make them less noticeable.

Might as well ask -- are there any solutions to making these light scratches less of an eye sore? Being more careful has already been implemented... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2012-10-01_18-18-02_737.jpg
    2012-10-01_18-18-02_737.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 337
  • 2012-10-01_18-18-06_563.jpg
    2012-10-01_18-18-06_563.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 278

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
I have also experienced some light scratches near the top of the front of my phone. :( I have been trying to baby this thing while I wait on my Invisible Shield to be delivered, but no such luck. They are minor and only noticeable at the right angle, so I am hoping the added layer of the shield will make them less noticeable.

Might as well ask -- are there any solutions to making these light scratches less of an eye sore? Being more careful has already been implemented... :rolleyes:

Woah!!! Put a rain coat on that thing.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand

That is nasty :eek:

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012

Are you kidding me wtf. I thought this gorilla glass 2 was suppose to be better preventing scratches than the previous?

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
Ok wow mine aren't that bad! But I took my Zagg IS off my 4S around 5 months ago and five months of use without a screen protector I had no scratching whatsoever.

WarEagle16

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
DMV
Really?

Return it, it is still within the 30 days window.

Is this really something they will exchange? I have always had pleasant experiences with Apple Store staff regardless of the situation, but this seems like it would be classified as user error.

While I take full responsibility for it, I never had any previous iPhone get scratched so soon.

And, as you all can imagine, it's all I can see when I glance at my new baby :(

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
They have 30 days no question ask return.

----------

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

U.S. Returns & Refunds Policy

There are a few important things to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased from the U.S. Apple Online Store:
You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.
Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either through the Apple Online Store or at an Apple Retail Store, can be returned to Apple. Apple products purchased through other retailers must be returned in accordance with their respective returns and refunds policy.
Please ensure that the item you're returning is repackaged with all the cords, adapters and documentation that were included when you received it.

There are some items, however, that are ineligible for return, including:
Opened software*
Electronic Software Downloads
Software Up-to-Date Program Products (software upgrades)
Apple Gift Cards
Apple Developer Connection Products (Membership and Technical Support)
Apple Print Products

*You can return software, provided that it has not been installed on any computer. Software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.

Hendo356

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Otford, Kent UK
How'd ya like them apples?

Having received my new 5 on the first morning of release from my new service provider, I was more than happy with the replacement for my old 3 GS. I then spent a number of days like Gollum and his precious as I awaited someone to release a screen protector. Showing off my new possession to my daughter after a week or so, I was horrified to have her point out a deep scratch across the middle of the screen. I was reluctant, as wareagle16 mentioned, to put a protector over a deep scratch which was very visible. I came across this thread and thought I'd check in at my local Apple store, before taking the handset to my service provider. I was essentially looking to find out if replacement glass was available. I explained to the blue shirted folks that I had somehow scratched a phone who's glass was supposed to be quite tough. I was informed that the best remedy would be to make an appointment with a genius and replace the handset???!!!. I mentioned again that the handset had been supplied by a service provider and not them. "no worries we can handle it directly if you wish" came the reply. So I went home and made sure everything was backed up and today they gave me a brand new replacement handset. There may be some cynics that would take this as some admission of guilt, but I view it as astonishing customer service.
I don't know if this is peculiar to the UK or that particular store
I'm really very fond of them apples!!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Ok, I have an iPhone 5 and before that a 4S that was handled the EXACT same way.

iPhone 4s has NO scratches no problems and was nekkid for over a year.

2 weeks of iPhone 5 use.... 2 glass scratches and nicks in the back.

:(

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
They have 30 days no question ask return.

----------

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

Interesting! I bought it via AT&T, which sucks as I would much rather take it to an Apple Store. Sounds like that is not an option though?

At&t change their policy and if you returned to the apple store they only will be able to return your money and you will lose your upgrade. In order for apple to exchange a phone they have to reset your upgrade thing the wont be able to do after 14 days.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
At&t change their policy and if you returned to the apple store they only will be able to return your money and you will lose your upgrade. In order for apple to exchange a phone they have to reset your upgrade thing the wont be able to do after 14 days.

Do you know if this applies to Verizon as well? I'm past the 14 days and I don't see my iPhone 5 lasting very long .... but now my upgrade is gone. (Within the 30 days tho)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Use a screen protector if you dont want any scratches.
Glass will get scratches eventually no matter what type of glass it is.
I have a few scratches on my screen protector. I just peel it off and put a new one on. Good thing is not permanent on the glass.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Are you kidding me wtf. I thought this gorilla glass 2 was suppose to be better preventing scratches than the previous?

Nah, its actually just thinner glass with the same strength. Is GG2 on the iphone 5 just a rumor or has that been confirmed?

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012

If it hasnt been asked already, may i ask how that happened? was something in your pocket as well as your phone like a set of keys?

My screen is good so far, only a handful of extremely thin scratches that are only visible when held in the light and within a few inches of my face. Had the phone since original launch day

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

Wow! I feel sorry for your baby if that's how you baby your phone. Those scratches are fugly.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
wow.. that sucks. I've found the screen protectors aren't very helpful in protecting the screen though. I've had my phone scratched through the screen protector. I've given up on screen protectors now...

jmp2071

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012

My launch day 5 was similar to yours after a couple weeks of use. I thought they were scratches but they turned out to be hairline cracks in the glass. The Apple store near me replaced the phone no questions asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.