Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Just returned my iPhone 5 to Apple and the lady said I shouldn't get a refurb because it's so early. However, my launch day iPhone 5 serial number began with C39J and now this one is F2LJ. I'm kind of bummed I didn't get a new one but a refurb. Has anyone replaced their iPhone 5 and gotten a same/different serial as their previous?

RocketMan76

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Berkeley, CA
Just returned my iPhone 5 to Apple and the lady said I shouldn't get a refurb because it's so early. However, my launch day iPhone 5 serial number began with C39J and now this one is F2LJ. I'm kind of bummed I didn't get a new one but a refurb. Has anyone replaced their iPhone 5 and gotten a same/different serial as their previous?

Why on earth does it matter, and how in the hell do you know what a refurbed serial number is vs. any other serial number?

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
My launch day phone's serial number begins with F2. You didn't get a refurb.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
You don't have a refurbished phone. Apple carries a separate stock of replacement phones in white boxes

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
You guys are making me feel a lot better now. I don't know why I was a little bummed, I shouldn't care but maybe it isn't a refurb after all.

BigRingIt

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Mine is F2LJ and it was ordered at 12am on the 14th and received on the 21st.

Reason they give you a phone in a white box because they aren't giving you the headphone and cables again. You are suppose to continue to use the original set you got from your original phone.

doc shivers

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
who gives a ****? if it was a refurb it probably just needed a replacement anodized aluminum back or antenna from one of the idiots who went through 6 phones to find a flawless one.

7DSniper

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
South Florida
It's not a refurb, it's to early for refurbs. Apple has shipped the store replacement phones. It is more cost efficient for you to keep all of your accessories and they just give you a new phone. No need to worry it is a brand new phone.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Serial numbers are different and it came in a plain white replacement box. I would assume this indicates a refurb.

Not necessarily. It can only be a refurb if it had a former life as a brand new iPhone and they refurbished it. At this point, all white box replacement iPhone 5 are new phones and it'll take about two months or so for them to get enough returned iPhone 5 to build up a stock of refurbished iPhone 5, which can then go in the white box or be sold through the Apple store.

NismoRoadster

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cerritos, CA

Not a referb, mine says also says F2L, got mine pre order. It's their new numbering system.

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Serial numbers are different and it came in a plain white replacement box. I would assume this indicates a refurb.

probably just replacement phones.

no way in 1 week did they have enough time (including shipping the phones back to a facility to get checked) to fix the phone and send it back to the apple store

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Serial numbers are no indication whatsoever of refurb or not.

Plain box iPhones at the Apple store are original, factory phones meant as replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.