Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Launches 2012 Back to School Promotion

In line with our report from earlier today, Apple has launched its annual Back to School promotion, offering educational customers a $100 iTunes Store gift card with the purchase of a Mac or a $50 card with the purchase of an iPad.

As detailed in the official terms and conditions (PDF), the promotion is valid on the purchase of a new (non-refurbished) iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, or third-generation iPad. As in past years, the Mac mini is excluded from the promotion.

The promotion begins today and runs through September 21, and the gift cards are valid for purchases in the iTunes Store, iOS App Store, Mac App Store, and iBookstore. The offer is available in the following countries, with gift card amounts varying based on local currency: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

Article Link: Apple Launches 2012 Back to School Promotion
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Watabou
macrumors 68020

So with this, I can get the new Macbook Pro with retina display for $1999.99 with my $200 student discount and a $100 iTunes gift card? I think that's a good deal!
Watabou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:36 PM   #3
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watabou View Post
So with this, I can get the new Macbook Pro with retina display for $1999.99 with my $200 student discount and a $100 iTunes gift card? I think that's a good deal!
Best Buy will probably match $1999 and give you a $100 Best Buy gift card. Perhaps that may be more useful to you (this how I bought my 2011 MBA).

But not too shabby! Retina + 8GB of RAM + 256GB SSD + USB 3.0 + 2xTB + 7 hour battery... nice!
KylePowers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

When I ordered the new retina MacBook Pro earlier today, it offered me the $100 card, but then wouldn't let me complete check out with it in my cart. So I deleted it, placed my order and called Apple. They told me that apparently a lot of people had been having trouble and that Apple is going to go back and add the $100 card to all education Mac purchases today. It hasn't happened yet but she said she'd follow up with me on Wednesday to make sure that it does.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:53 PM   #5
pwhitehead
macrumors regular

Really? Give back a little more apple, please..
pwhitehead is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:21 AM   #6
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

What if one bought an iPad less than 2 weeks ago. Is there a way to retroactively get the back to school promotion? I could just return it and rebuy it, but I don't want to waste a perfectly good iPad and waste packaging and everything, as well as go through the hassle of setting it up.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:21 AM   #7
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by kockgunner View Post
What if one bought an iPad less than 2 weeks ago. Is there a way to retroactively get the back to school promotion? I could just return it and rebuy it, but I don't want to waste a perfectly good iPad and waste packaging and everything, as well as go through the hassle of setting it up.
Such things are at the whim of the local manager but I would think that if you qualify for the promo they would so long as you ask within the return period. Likely cause they know if they say no you'll just return the one you had and turn around and buy a fresh one and that will waste a working unit, etc

Last edited by dejo; Jun 12, 2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8
virtualandy
macrumors newbie

I want to buy a MacBook Air for my college-bound brother-in-law. I'd like to use the Apple financing (because maybe I want to tack on an Air or iMac for us, too), so can't just hand him a check and tell him to go pick it up.

Is that possible (buying a laptop via education discount for someone else)? And is it possible to use the 12 month financing for educational discount purchases?
virtualandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Dindorio
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
Best Buy will probably match $1999 and give you a $100 Best Buy gift card. Perhaps that may be more useful to you (this how I bought my 2011 MBA).

But not too shabby! Retina + 8GB of RAM + 256GB SSD + USB 3.0 + 2xTB + 7 hour battery... nice!
Wow!!!! i think its a great opportunity. Also its money saving. I want to get this $100 gift card to buy a lot.
Dindorio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:09 PM   #10
f4d3
macrumors newbie

So the GC won't work in the apple store?
f4d3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:19 PM   #11
ghostlyorb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualandy View Post
I want to buy a MacBook Air for my college-bound brother-in-law. I'd like to use the Apple financing (because maybe I want to tack on an Air or iMac for us, too), so can't just hand him a check and tell him to go pick it up.

Is that possible (buying a laptop via education discount for someone else)? And is it possible to use the 12 month financing for educational discount purchases?
In my 2 experiences buying education discounts... you don't need to show proof of in college if you order online. You just have to choose which school the person is going to. If you're buying the computer for someone else, I doubt you'd have any trouble anyway.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4d3 View Post
So the GC won't work in the apple store?
I can't remember, but it either will work in all the stores... or maybe just the digital ones.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kockgunner View Post
They wouldn't let you get it. You could always call and complain.. and say you could just return and buy again. They might give it to you under those circumstances.
iPad mini 16GB +AT&T
ghostlyorb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:18 PM   #12
virtualandy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlyorb
In my 2 experiences buying education discounts... you don't need to show proof of in college if you order online. You just have to choose which school the person is going to. If you're buying the computer for someone else, I doubt you'd have any trouble anyway.
Thanks. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Woulda really been nice to order an iMac along with an Air!
virtualandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:42 AM   #13
ghostlyorb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualandy View Post
Thanks. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Woulda really been nice to order an iMac along with an Air!
No problem! Have some fun with those new computers! I love seeing people switch to macs. My church has done so nearly 100%.. and a co-worker who is an ADVID PC user just got the Retina MBP and is ready to switch.
iPad mini 16GB +AT&T
ghostlyorb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:45 PM   #14
sammee
macrumors newbie

I think it is a good deal.
Now the apple fans is more and more,everyone is looking forward to some news.
I also like pay attention to the newest news about Apple from ifunia iPad/iPhone column.
sammee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:00 AM   #15
rillo
macrumors member

Does this work on refurbished MBP's? Sorry for the noob question.

Thanks.
rillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:31 AM   #16
amt2002
macrumors member

Hi guys, I went to the apple store on Friday September 21st and was told I couldn't get my back-to-school voucher as the offer expired the previous day.

Do you think this is right? When it says expires on the 21st I read that as being till 23:59 on the 21st!?
amt2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:26 AM   #17
Natasha ley
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt2002 View Post
Hi guys, I went to the apple store on Friday September 21st and was told I couldn't get my back-to-school voucher as the offer expired the previous day.

Do you think this is right? When it says expires on the 21st I read that as being till 23:59 on the 21st!?
When the date is mentioned 21 st we can avail offer till the last minute. How it can expire before ?
Natasha ley is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion