Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Try the candy shell grip :). I got a purple and black one, and it has rubber inlays, so the scratch able parts of the back never touch anything. It feels really awesome and fits like a glove.

Wife got the white/black one for her white iPhone and it look/feels great. I have a black and the only one I would consider is the blue/white. I want a different color around the front bezel so it looks better than just black.

Does anyone have the blue/white on a black iPhone? pics please.

iRooney

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Charleston, SC
I'm being nit-picky here, but has anyone using this (particularly the Grip version) noticed that the top left corner shows a very tiny sliver of the phone band? It's only really noticeable if you have the white version. Not worth returning the thing over, just curious.

Replying to myself here. Speck told me its a defective product. Got AT&T to replace it.

pm3009

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2006
I also bought the speck candyshell grip for my Iphone5 (color: lemongrass/blue - very cool color combo). I like the idea of a hybrid cases like the candyshell grip (best of both worlds for protection with hard and soft materials). Fits like a glove and gives a lot of protection without bulking up the iphone like the otterbox and other heavy duty cases. The design of the Grip case for the Iphone5 looks different than the Grip case for the Iphone4 (rubber lines are thinner on the back). I called Speck before I ordered the Candyshell Grip to see if they resolved the issue with the rubber flaking off.
They said that issue was only seen on one bad batch of cases and they didn't see it on any other batches. So far there isn't any rubber flaking and I also don't see how the piece by the charge port would break unless you abused the case. Like someone else said, I don't think the grip cases will scratch easily since the rubber is raised just enough to keep the hard plastic from making contact with whatever it's sitting on. I don't see a mark or scratch on the case yet after using it for a few days.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Is the PixelSkin hd the thinnest case of its form? Compared to the grip candy or ngp? I had one for my 4S but want thinner if possible.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I also bought the speck candyshell grip for my Iphone5 (color: lemongrass/blue - very cool color combo).

Can you post some pictures of that combo? I've been debating between it and the white and blue. I heard from someone on the forums it was almost a greenish yellow. Wanted to see some clear pictures. Thanks!

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
This thread talked me into get the Speck Candyshell so I did. :D I cancelled the Incipio Shine (black) from MacMall. I picked up the red color from the AT&T store, and it looks really hot. The case does scratch very easily, but I guess I'll try to be careful.

For those who are wondering, the headphone jack is decent size, and it it should most headphone jacks. I couldn't fit my Shure headphones jack before with the Apple bumper, but now I can. Thanks guys for suggesting this case.

Sorry I don't know how to embed images to this post but here's the link in case you want to see how the red case looks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwanlui/sets/72157631634191279/with/8029169612/

55test55

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Still trying to decide between glossy and satin. Can anyone post side by sides please? What material does the satin feel like? Just matte plastic? Or is it like suede?

mushed

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
North East England.
Would you rather have a scratched up phone or case? I know which I'd choose! It's only very noticeable on the darker cases I think and it's got to hit the light just right, it does what it's supposed to and protects the phone :p

And hope this will do as 'side by side'
2fd0c481b018fa16b085a17f29421e80.jpg

239db6e58df442820c8f1a042dd14c95.jpg

7016b9715bfa54deab419318f65fbde3.jpg

fcf83e98b0f1c4245d67641b6addb861.jpg

9f3abe2062ba7815322da0d11fe6e647.jpg

Thought I'd do a little pros comparison(just my opinions)
Satin vs glossy

Pros
Satin less likely to get scuffed up
They both offer great protection (judging from my 4s model)
Satin less slippy
Glossy colour range (at the moment is much more varied)

I like them both so I don't really have a preference, as I'm not too bothered about scuffing and I don't pick at the sides. Obviously it's down to what you want in a case!

They're both the same in my opinion just a different finish...

Last edited:

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Wish Speck would make the Candyshell with Apple logo cutout.

Are there any cases out there similar to the Candy that has Apple logo cutout?

c0venant

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
does the Satin one get sticky and difficult to remove from your pocket? does it collect dust/lint?

Aimetti

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
returned my horribly scuffed glossy black candyshell today at target. (mind you after very light use)

took it back no questions asked.

for 37 bucks , it paid for my diztronic , poetic atmosphere , and bumper. All of which are much better quality. Ill take the remaining 5 bucks and buy a few coffees.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
SO, the one thing that has been on my mind... Is the rubber on this generation of Candyshell's flaking like it did on previous generations?

hockey17

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
anyone else having sound problems with the case? everything sounds really quiet while its on...texts, calls, anything..

ewoods22

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
I just got my Speck Candyshell Satin in black today. I love this case because it doesnt show scratches like my glossy black one and no fingerprints at all. The lock button is a lot easier to push too. Looks great on the black ip5!

Last edited:

xiyah

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I have both Best skin ever and Candyshell atm, i'm worried that if i install the BSE the candyshell becomes harder to fit in. Any suggestions?

cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.