Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
caution about cheap prices

This is probably a good place to post a caution about websites offering super cheap prices on cameras. I was googling for camera prices and kept finding sites offering prices 50% or 75% below list. On investigation I found they were all located in Brooklyn, NY. In fact, several were on the same block, probably the same building. When I checked them through the Better Business Website I found that most had many complaints. One guy owned something like a dozen different names of camera store websites. The complaints ran towards orders not being fulfilled and no refund made available. Sometimes they shipped broken cameras. On the phone they pressured the customers to purchase excess warranties and other accessories, etc.

The upshot is, if the price looks too good to be true, it probably is. Check them out with the BBB. All you need to provide is a URL.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
This is a great suggestion. Aside from being a great place to publish my photos (I keep them there; link in sig natch ;) ), what's great about this is that you can automatically find all photographs made with a given lens or camera... which can do a lot to tell you how that lens will enhance your portfolio. :)

how do you do this? I've been trying for two days and just can't find a way to it. I can find sample photos by Camera but not by camera and lens...

Sigur

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Could one of the Moderators edit the first post so that all links are in order and in one post. That would make it much easier to read and find the ones you like.

georgemann

macrumors regular
digital photo mac - dpmac.com

Since this is a mac site, I guess it is OK for me to list my own site since it is probably the only site that is both a mac and digital photography site. Warning - I am very biased towards Nikon digital SLRs and sometimes critical of Apple, although I have been an Apple Mac user since 1985 (and a Nikon user since 1965).

Digital Photo Mac - http://dpmac.com

Nikon Digital Photographer - http://nikondp.com

Thank you,

George Mann :)

rosesposes

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Best setup for Racing Photos?

I discussed this a few months ago but now I am ready to buy a new camera and lens. I shoot studio photography and also Gokart racing photos. Where could I go to find out one of the best (not necessarily the latest) camera and lens combos for gokart racing, low light sometimes, fast action most of the time, and I would also use in my studio for portraits. I really need advice, so many out there but cant afford the latest greatest!!! Thanks, Rose

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I discussed this a few months ago but now I am ready to buy a new camera and lens. I shoot studio photography and also Gokart racing photos. Where could I go to find out one of the best (not necessarily the latest) camera and lens combos for gokart racing, low light sometimes, fast action most of the time, and I would also use in my studio for portraits. I really need advice, so many out there but cant afford the latest greatest!!! Thanks, Rose

The recommendations made in your December thread still stand.

crain300

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Thank you very very much for making this thread it has a lot very good links and I truly appreciate this :D

BMP84

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Chattanooga, TN
I'm surprised nobody has put KEH.com.

I've always had a fantastic experience with them, and even their "bargain bin" lens for all the old 6x6 camera's are in good condition.

hansolo669

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
can we remove ken rockwell from the nikon list?
not only does he give biased reviews of products he hasent ever touched( :eek: ) his "reviews" are more in the same fasion, hevially biased(and his bias changes with the wind) and for the most part grossly inacurate.

he is also an advocate of pure jpeg shooting ( :confused: )

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
can we remove ken rockwell from the nikon list?
not only does he give biased reviews of products he hasent ever touched( :eek: ) his "reviews" are more in the same fasion, hevially biased(and his bias changes with the wind) and for the most part grossly inacurate.

he is also an advocate of pure jpeg shooting ( :confused: )

X2

Also, perhaps someone could add snapsort.com. It is quite simplistic, but easily shows differences between models.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2004
Did someone removed the wiki/ guide page?

Edit: links restored, embed guides still not working

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.