Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
That article was linked to by Gruber, take it for what it is. Daringfireball is the last place to look at for objectiveness in these debates.

And so was the first test of Ontario in iOS 6 that you mentioned earlier, should we take that with a grain of salt for the same reason?

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
And so was the first test of Ontario in iOS 6 that you mentioned earlier, should be take that with a grain of salt for the same reason?

Do I really need to explain this to you ? Gruber linked to it because people were discussing it. He tried to discredit it and that was his only reason to link to it in the first place. He wasn't the first one to link to it and he's not objective.

Now if you really want to discuss it, I suggest the iOS 6 forum where we already have a multi page discussion on that in the "Maps are a disaster!" thread.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Do I really need to explain this to you ? Gruber linked to it because people were discussing it. He tried to discredit it and that was his only reason to link to it in the first place. He wasn't the first one to link to it and he's not objective.

Here's the post:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/09/28/maps-ontario

He is saying that it would be interesting to see a comparative test result, and he is right. He actually has not been defending the whole maps situation, as far as I can tell.

Ad hominem, is always a poor argument.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Here's the post:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/09/28/maps-ontario

He is saying that it would be interesting to see a comparative test result, and he is right. He actually has not been defending the whole maps situation, as far as I can tell.

Please : https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15924079/

Ad hominem, is always a poor argument.

There is no ad hominems in presenting Gruber's subjectiveness. It is a well known industry fact that's he's basically Apple's PR machine.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Please : https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15924079/

There is no ad hominems in presenting Gruber's subjectiveness. It is a well known industry fact that's he's basically Apple's PR machine.

The ad hominem argument is that you want to discredit the test result based on person instead of the test it self. Also, objectity doesn't really exist outside of math, you can strive for it, as is done in science for example, but claiming an objecive view on something is ignorant. It's inevitable that you will see the world through your glasses that are colored by your experience, in this case a lot of information about all this is also not known outside of Apple.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The ad hominem argument is that you want to discredit the test result based on person instead of the test it self.

Not at all, as I said, I just don't want to discuss it here, since it's being discussed elsewhere. The test was discredited based on the test itself, not who posted it. But I was pointing out the fact that the person who posted it, Gruber, should tell you right off the bat you need to be wary of its result. The man has an agenda, that's a fact sorry.

So now, please. Go to the links I pointed to if you want to discuss the article. Last reply from me on this particular topic in this thread.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Not at all, as I said, I just don't want to discuss it here, since it's being discussed elsewhere. The test was discredited based on the test itself, not who posted it. But I was pointing out the fact that the person who posted it, Gruber, should tell you right off the bat you need to be wary of its result. The man has an agenda, that's a fact sorry.

You are missing the point, I know you provided a link where the test result itself is criticized, I had no objection to that and will take a look at it. I'm only made a comment to the ad hominem argument.

So now, please. Go to the links I pointed to if you want to discuss the article. Last reply from me on this particular topic in this thread.

I will look at it, but it can be discussed here as well, it hasn't stopped you from doing it for example.

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
You know things have gone pear shaped when Apple themselves are trying to steer users away from their own maps app!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Google Maps are not prefect either.

I had to look up an address last week, the street was not listed on Google (Online and iPhone) but was on my Garmin GPS. As a side note I checked my sisters 4s now with iOS6 and while it had the town listed, that was it no details now streets just a dot on the map no matter how close we zoomed in. So yes in this case Google was still better but Garmin was the best.

One problem I've found from my sisters experience she upgraded to iOS6 without knowing about the Maps or YouTube, maybe Apple needed to highlight these major changes better as we know most don't read the fine print before clicking OK.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Do i detest a feeling Apples getting a bit worrird there will be a 'delayed' Google maps app?

Its the only reason why Apple would bring out 'alternatives' themselves to the App Store.

One reason, would be keep customers happy, but a more probable reason is because their startng to realise Google will take their time, and Apples own Map app will take time too.

CDCC

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Apple Map Data Fixes

I've had almost daily occurrences of the map being useless. I guess it's all in where you live.

It is mostly the POI point data that are the issue. It can be loaded and re-geocoded(moved) fairly fast. While they are at it here is a list -

All Apple needs to do is:

1. Fix the Yelp points that were poorly geocoded and not QA checked by Apple before they loaded them in their database. Some areas are much worse than others. Re-geocode the bad city metro areas first. Address geocode or snap to parcel and building footprint centroids in areas that have weird property boundaries like malls, colleges, and large private land holdings with odd address ranges.

2. Buy more State, County, and City POI address databases and geocode and merge them with the Yelp data. Apple is currently missing a ton of landmark and physical feature POIs plus a ton of businesses. GNIS feature points are free, but they need massive edits. Google uses USGS and gnis as invisible background layers to find features in Google Earth. They use a ton of different free databases including USGS for every thing from beach names to mountain peaks. Apple needs to wake-up and load the free data that is available.
If a small shoe string map site like Acme Mapper can do it, a billion dollar company can EASILY add the missing data.

3. Add way more transit stop points. Thin or none in many city areas.

4. Update correction interface. Google will auto match typed names with addresses off of a phone book listing or a address listing database so people don't have to type addresses, cities, zips and phone numbers.

5. Add more information colors and text to the traffic layer. Currently does not show speeds only a red dashed line for congestion.

6. Change symbols on some features. Good example is your orange country borders in hybrid view, you cannot see them very well. Needs to be a brighter wider line.
Most map companies have a professional company check the map symbols for major issues. Companies like Cartifact and others have been doing this for years.

CDCC

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Map database updates

Do i detest a feeling Apples getting a bit worrird there will be a 'delayed' Google maps app?

Its the only reason why Apple would bring out 'alternatives' themselves to the App Store.

One reason, would be keep customers happy, but a more probable reason is because their startng to realise Google will take their time, and Apples own Map app will take time too.

All the other map apps are pretty bad. Most, like Bing, have few POI points.
I will stick with the Apple Map app for now. It should not take forever to fix and update the POI database. The database updates should be real time. Once loaded in the map library they can turn the layers on.

funkyfresh

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
There is one reason for this type of response

Apple knows that map functionality is critical to smartphone users. If users aren't explicitly made aware of alternative map services to replace Apple's faulty service, there's a chance they will look to other phones to fulfill their mapping needs. Beyond Apple's poor release of their mapping service, there's a deeper concern of losing users to other phones.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
It is mostly the POI point data that are the issue. It can be loaded and re-geocoded(moved) fairly fast. While they are at it here is a list -

1. Fix the Yelp points that were poorly geocoded and not QA checked by Apple before they loaded them in their database. Some areas are much worse than others. Re-geocode the bad city metro areas first. Address geocode or snap to parcel and building footprint centroids in areas that have weird property boundaries like malls, colleges, and large private land holdings with odd address ranges.

2. Buy more State, County, and City POI address databases and geocode and merge them with the Yelp data. Apple is currently missing a ton of landmark and physical feature POIs plus a ton of businesses. GNIS feature points are free, but they need massive edits. Google uses USGS and gnis as invisible background layers to find features in Google Earth. They use a ton of different free databases including USGS for every thing from beach names to mountain peaks. Apple needs to wake-up and load the free data that is available.
If a small shoe string map site like Acme Mapper can do it, a billion dollar company can EASILY add the missing data.

4. Update correction interface. Google will auto match typed names with addresses off of a phone book listing or a address listing database so people don't have to type addresses, cities, zips and phone numbers.

5. Add more information colors and text to the traffic layer. Currently does not show speeds only a red dashed line for congestion.

6. Change symbols on some features. Good example is your orange country borders in hybrid view, you cannot see them very well. Needs to be a brighter wider line.
Most map companies have a professional company check the map symbols for major issues. Companies like Cartifact and others have been doing this for years.
You could also add "learning to tell the difference between water and land" and "learning that Korean, Japanese and Chinese are not the same language" for a start.

CDCC

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Google Maps

Apple knows that map functionality is critical to smartphone users. If users aren't explicitly made aware of alternative map services to replace Apple's faulty service, there's a chance they will look to other phones to fulfill their mapping needs. Beyond Apple's poor release of their mapping service, there's a deeper concern of losing users to other phones.

People seem to TOTALLY forget that Google bought their maps ready-to-go when they bought Keyhole Corp. And when they were released as beta Google Earth maps they crashed every other minute and had ZERO POI businesses listed or traffic layers. Also, it was not free in the beginning, but a software package. How soon we forget and take free apps for granted!:rolleyes:

Give Apple a few weeks to update the POI and kill the glitches.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/28/google_buys_keyhole/
http://googlepress.blogspot.com/2004/10/google-acquires-keyhole-corp.html

Renzatic

Suspended
People seem to TOTALLY forget that Google bought their maps ready-to-go when they bought Keyhole Corp. And when they were released as beta Google Earth maps they crashed every other minute and had ZERO POI businesses listed or traffic layers.

Remember when Google Maps used to suck? I sure do! Those were the days, huh? That's why we have Apple Maps! It's almost like a nostalgic trip down memory lane!

Why use stupid Google stuff when Apple gives you the latest and greatest of 5 years ago!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Give Apple a few weeks to update the POI and kill the glitches.

They've had since June and DP1 to "update the POIs and kill the glitches". Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be as easy as fix as you intimate. Back in June, people were saying the exact same "Give Apple a few weeks" and even adding "this is Beta lolol". The thing is, what we saw in June is what shipped 3 months later...

----------

why use stupid google stuff when apple gives you the latest and greatest of 7 years ago!

fttfy.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Why use stupid Google stuff when Apple gives you the latest and greatest of 5 years ago!

After the pain that early adopters suffer, and after maybe a few years, Apple products tend to zoom past the competition in design quality and polish.

That's why I skipped iOS 1.0, Apple TV 1.0, and OS X 1.0. I did use Mac OS 1.0 but it was pretty awful as well (anyone here remember doing over a dozen diskette swaps just to copy a file?)

Google maps/earth/chrome early betas, etc. weren't too hot either. And then there are roaring successes such as Google Buzz and Wave.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA

Let's assume Apple can do all these at lightning speed, still they don't have a search engine. Search is not simple string match. They can collect data easily, but integration, validation and finally having a sophisticated search function is uphill battle. It appears Apple thought it could do simple string match on 24 different data sources. Output is either "No Results Found" or some weird result.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Let's assume Apple can do all these at lightning speed, still they don't have a search engine. Search is not simple string match. They can collect data easily, but integration, validation and finally having a sophisticated search function is uphill battle. It appears Apple thought it could do simple string match on 24 different data sources. Output is either "No Results Found" or some weird result.

Let's assume Apple started that battle a year ago with Siri.

CDCC

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
They've had since June and DP1 to "update the POIs and kill the glitches". Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be as easy as fix as you intimate. Back in June, people were saying the exact same "Give Apple a few weeks" and even adding "this is Beta lolol". The thing is, what we saw in June is what shipped 3 months later...

----------

fttfy.

Since June???? Give it a rest, they bought C3 just a year ago! They barely got all final vendor layers loaded and updated before the release a few weeks ago, not JUNE! It was rush to keep idiots like you happy trashing it.:rolleyes:

Your android calendar is running on beta dude. It was released Sept. 19th!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Since June???? Give it a rest, they bought C3 just a year ago! They barely got all final vendor layers loaded and updated before the release a few weeks ago, not JUNE! It was rush to keep idiots like you happy trashing it.:rolleyes:

Your android calendar is running on beta dude. It was released Sept. 19th!

Android calendar ? Uh ? Anyway...

Yep, since June. DP1 of iOS 6 with Maps was released right after WWDC '12, back in June. I will know draw your attention to this thread, started... you guessed it, in June :

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1385928/

We've basically been discussing this whole fiasco since before it even was a fiasco. Your party line of "give it a few weeks" has been the party line since... *drumroll*... June.

This isn't an easy fix. Read the following to get a glimpse of why :

http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399

Now, if you want to pursue this discussion in good faith and have reviewed the information I provided, please debate the arguments, don't just come in with posturing and pretension of "easy fixes" when it's plainly obvious this isn't that kind of fix.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Nah.... Apple people love iPhone..... Why would they ditch it just becase their favourite Map app is not complete. People know there are ther apps there. Maybe a few die hard users may..... But thats a small number.

Just use different App..... If your an Appleuser people wuld be aware of other Map Apps in the App Store NOT Apple...

I'm sure people know this, so why wait for Apple to TELL us "Hey... Here are alternatives we recommend" which byvthe way, their own alternatives arn't that graet eaither.

Isn"t that like 'following the leader', kind of deal?

CDCC

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Map apps five years ago?

Remember when Google Maps used to suck? I sure do! Those were the days, huh? That's why we have Apple Maps! It's almost like a nostalgic trip down memory lane!

Five years ago?

Five years ago the android phones and Google android map apps did not even exist when the first iPhone came out.:eek: As I remember, Apple was nice enough to LET Google release their map app and test it on Apple's IOS platform a few months before your Android was released. That is why Schmidt was thrown off the board. He was the Arthur Slugworth style spy that was porting the Apple designs to the Andriod platform and phone. Nice guy.

So yeah, I guess I would use the latest and greatest five years ago(2007). Everybody is using maps tested from the first map apps on the iPhone. Thank Apple for that.

And thanks for making my point by not bothering to research your statement.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.