Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoopkitty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I switched to Verizon when I got an iPhone 5 last week, but I didn't sign up for personal hotspot, unless they signed me up without telling me. But when I go into settings, I am able to turn personal hotspot on. Did it just charge me $20? Is this a new thing where it is now free? On AT&T, when I tried to use personal hotspot (it wasn't on my plan), it wouldn't let me and told me to call AT&T and add it.

I'm wondering if it's free for everyone because of this.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
It's part of your share everything plan. It uses your 2GB of data or whatever limit you have.

I switched to Verizon when I got an iPhone 5 last week, but I didn't sign up for personal hotspot, unless they signed me up without telling me. But when I go into settings, I am able to turn personal hotspot on. Did it just charge me $20? Is this a new thing where it is now free? On AT&T, when I tried to use personal hotspot (it wasn't on my plan), it wouldn't let me and told me to call AT&T and add it.

I'm wondering if it's free for everyone because of this.

JrJ 15

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
Michigan
Personal Hotspot is able to be turned on on my iPhone 4, too. Looked at my features on their website and I am still not paying for it. Weird. Also, I still have unlimited data.

illippinno

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
From my understanding, there is no extra charge to use the hotspot. It has been discussed before that there was a court ruling that prevented Verizon and AT&T from tacking on an extra charge.

The first time I got my iPhone 5, I turned it on and used it the first day with my Verizon 4gb Shared Data plan and my bill didn't show any additional charges for using it.

armoredsaint

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
USA
yup^^^^

sadly it's not active on mine since I have a grandfathered unlimited plan with VZW unless I change my plan or pay the extra $30 to turn it on IIRC :(

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
From my understanding, there is no extra charge to use the hotspot. It has been discussed before that there was a court ruling that prevented Verizon and AT&T from tacking on an extra charge.

The first time I got my iPhone 5, I turned it on and used it the first day with my Verizon 4gb Shared Data plan and my bill didn't show any additional charges for using it.

It's part of the shared plan. They can still charge for tethering, they just can't block apps in the app store which isn't a problem on iOS it just affected Android. With tiered data and LTE speeds they want to give you every opportunity to burn up data. Tethering is a great way for them to let you do that.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
So what is the deal with the personal hotspot, Verizon, the court ruling, LTE.

I have read conflicting post , about Verizon not being aloud to charge extra to tether LTE, but that only applies to apps that allow tethering not the built in hotspot.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.