Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Phew.

I still have every function on my sony head unit minus video in.

Just need to wait for another $75 cable to hook into the back.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
My phone synced like a charm with my Nissan Juke. Also, which the Gnex did not do, whichever ring tone I have selected for the contact calling, it rings through my car speakers, instead of a separate car ring tone. Me likes.

posted on my Nexus 7 tethered to my iPhone5

Exact same thing for me! But it acts weird when I'm playing music and get a call. The handover is clumsy,

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Everything works exactly like it did with the 30-pin to USB cable in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE. If I remember correctly, then some of the upgraded factory stereos, like on the Navigation package, required the Hyundai adapter. Mine has a USB port, and I plugged the Lightning to USB directly in to it. Music plays, iPhone charges and the steering wheel controls work just like they always did with my iPhone 4. Very happy about this.

Can you see your album covers, music titles, playlists on your navigation screen when you are plugged in? or do you still have to see everything through your phone? I like being able to browse through my phone's music library on my screen rather than on my iphone but I had the hyundai adapter. If you can't then I will have to wait till they come out with the lightning adapter so I can attach it to the hyundai adapter...

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
iPhone 5 works perfectly with the Sony mex-bt4000p
Bluetooth, Siri, signal/battery indicators on dash, track names, pandora controls
Using a native lightning cable into the usb with phone and siri going over the bluetooth mic

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Everything works exactly like it did with the 30-pin to USB cable in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE. If I remember correctly, then some of the upgraded factory stereos, like on the Navigation package, required the Hyundai adapter. Mine has a USB port, and I plugged the Lightning to USB directly in to it. Music plays, iPhone charges and the steering wheel controls work just like they always did with my iPhone 4. Very happy about this.

That's weird. I have a 2012 Elantra and mine didn't work. I got USB read error. Although the first day when I plugged it into my computer it only charged with the cable inserted in to the phone one way. Maybe I should try again, I'd really like the steering wheel controls back. My car came with the adapter but I don't have navigation so maybe that's the difference.

backfire103

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
I've got a 2012 Chevy Cruze with the USB port. Everything is working as normal with the new lightning connector.

substance12

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
I'm actually having issues in my '11 bmw 128i using the USB port w/ the included lightning cable. I don't have the iDrive system in my car. Usually when I plug in the iPhone (pre-iPhone5), it goes into "accessory mode" and blocks off the iPod app on the phone... then I see "iPod" show up in the audio selector and it plays fine.

This morning I plugged in my iPhone 5 to the USB port and everything worked as usual... at first. Once I tried it a second time the car would not recognize the iPod capabilities at all. The iPhone shows as charging (and makes the noise), but it doesn't play the music through the car or recognize the iPod capabilities.

Curious to know if anyone else is seeing this. It's weird because it worked once, so that makes me think it's possible... The first time I was also doing Turn-by-Turn...

I have a pioneer head unit and i had the exact same problem. worked day 1. didn't work day 2. i've already tried unplugging/plugging in the lightning adapter, shutting off the radio, taking out the head unit, etc. i can't see to make it register.

I read in some other forum where one guy fixed his problem by adding music to his library. I have music in my library so that didn't fix it. I tried loading up Downcast and the music app to see if one would produce different results as well.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I got the Lightning connector to work with my car! I don't know what I did, but it seems like the trick is plugging in the USB end first, then the Lightning end into the phone. At the beginning, I plugged the lightning end in first, then plugged the USB end in the car. I guess the digital connection from Lightning screws it up, it probably "authenticates" accessories now or something, I am not sure how Apple did it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
So all of the folks with ANY car stereo head unit that provides playlist control, who have been able to control / navigate playlists via our head unit touchscreen are now completely out of luck.

You are going to be forced to navigate the playlist by picking up and using the damn phone.

FWIW: My 2011 Chevy Cruze can still control playlists and iPod functions on my iPhone 5. All I did was replace my USB to 30-pin cable with a lightning cable. Done.

This probably works just fine on 2012 model too, and the 2013 model I believe does it over bluetooth, so that's moot.

But considering my car was built just after the iPhone 4 was released, and the software on it hasn't been updated since long before thunderbolt was a rumor, I think it's safe to say that there was a supported "right" way to interface with the iPod controls audio outputs all along, and various unsupported "wrong" ways. The right way ended up carrying over to the lightning interface, evidently. And car manufacturers who did it "wrong" now have angry users who'd like to blame Apple for this.

The irony is, I kinda wish iPod controls weren't working in my car, or at least I could override it somehow. I can navigate my phone's touch screen faster than I can control it via the head unit, and I would say I'm probably MORE likely to get in a crash fiddling with the head unit than I would be flicking the screen with my finger or asking Siri to play something.

"No! Honestly officer, I wasn't making a call, I was just choosing a song...!"

Who uses their iPod by holding their phone to their ear?

What is the solution going to be? A third-party "black box" to connect between the iphone5, and our head units?

Probably. Or, a car mount and audio cable to hook your headphone up to your AUX input.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Yeah, right. Bluetooth doesn't work on the iphone 5 either.

:confused: Mine works great. In fact it's better than great. My 2009 GTI has two bluetooth devices:

1. VW's "official" bluetooth equipment for making phone calls. It has a nice microphone but doesn't support A2DP. My iPhone is capable of playing music through it but because VW's BT doesn't do A2DP it sounds awful.
  2. An aftermarket gadget made by Dension that masquerades as a CD changer, supports A2DP and pipes audio into the radio. It came with a microphone, but the microphone is of poor quality.

When I turn on my car, the iPhone 5 connects automatically to both devices. Simultaneously. Automatically. It automatically plays music (and turn-by-turn guidance) into the Dension A2DP interface and it automatically routes calls to the VW interface, which takes over the radio when my phone rings. When I bring up Siri it does attach to the Dension but displays a BT icon I can use to refocus Siri to the VW interface (which is the one with the microphone). And I don't ever have to do that twice on one trip. When I'm done with Siri I'm back to hearing music over A2DP.

Color me perfectly pleased.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Bluetooth is not as high quality as the audio through the dock.

First, that was not the point of my response. I'm saying iPhone 5's Bluetooth works and works well, not that it's going to be good enough for audiophiles.

Second, with all the road noise we experience in our cars, my view is that the 128kbps to 320kbps datastream being sent over A2DP (I don't know the bitrate or codec Apple uses) delivers an audio quality in that environment that's indistinguishable from the wired signal we'll get by using a USB connection or a lightning adapter. YMMV.

Last edited:

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I spent some time with the wife's '12 Lexus RX350 last night to verify the BT and USB functions with the iPhone 5. Everything works the same as with the iPhone 4/4S. That's not to say perfectly. All of our iPhones on occasion require a disconnect/reconnect from the USB cable to get the Lexus to read them. This seems to happen most often if a streaming app like iHeart or Pandora has priority over the music app when you plug it in.

Still, once the radio does connect to the iPhone (I'd say 9/10 times on the first try regardless of iP4 or iP5), it works fine.

----------

Bluetooth is not as high quality as the audio through the dock.

I'm sure that is technically correct but just for grins today I had my iP5 connected both via BT and the USB in our Lexus and was able to switch back and forth very quickly while a song was playing. My old ears couldn't tell any difference.

jcw5002

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
It works!!

I'm actually having issues in my '11 bmw 128i using the USB port w/ the included lightning cable. I don't have the iDrive system in my car. Usually when I plug in the iPhone (pre-iPhone5), it goes into "accessory mode" and blocks off the iPod app on the phone... then I see "iPod" show up in the audio selector and it plays fine.

This morning I plugged in my iPhone 5 to the USB port and everything worked as usual... at first. Once I tried it a second time the car would not recognize the iPod capabilities at all. The iPhone shows as charging (and makes the noise), but it doesn't play the music through the car or recognize the iPod capabilities.

Curious to know if anyone else is seeing this. It's weird because it worked once, so that makes me think it's possible... The first time I was also doing Turn-by-Turn...

I just wanted to post a follow up to my earlier comment. I got a new $19 USB->Lightning connector and it worked on the first try. I figured maybe it would stop working like the other cable, but so far it's been going strong for the entire day. I've been in/out of my car all day and it has continued to work flawlessly. I still need to verify if my original cable was the problem, or if something weird is going on. Either way, i'm excited it finally works! :)

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
A family member has it and his works same as my 4 on the 2012 C63. Going to buy my 5 soon so shouldn’t have any problems.

nolegirl01

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Does anyone have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata and know if the USB works correctly?

I have a 2011 Sonata with Nav and I plugged my lightning cable directly to the USB and it didn't work :( it doesn't even read, it gives it some kind of error. I'm listening to music through Bluetooth and unfortunately have to control the music directly on my iphone 5 until I get the adapter. Hopefully it'll work with the adapter when it comes in.

UPDATE: While listening to music through bluetooth I AM able to skip forward and back using the controls on my steering wheel but I can't see the albums or title names on my screen like I could when I plugged in using the hyundai cable. I guess that will work for now...I charge the phone using my lightning cable plugged in to a adapter that plugs into my lighter.

Last edited:

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
iPhone 5 works perfectly with the Sony mex-bt4000p
Bluetooth, Siri, signal/battery indicators on dash, track names, pandora controls
Using a native lightning cable into the usb with phone and siri going over the bluetooth mic

Same here with the MEX-BT3800U.
No problems.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Bumping this thread now that the Lightning-to-30pin adapter is starting to ship. I'm sure some of us are interested in hearing what kind of stereo/car models it works with.

Personally hoping to hear about its compatibility with Hyundai stereos (2010 Elantra specifically) that use the "y-cable."

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
First, that was not the point of my response. I'm saying iPhone 5's Bluetooth works and works well, not that it's going to be good enough for audiophiles.

Second, with all the road noise we experience in our cars, my view is that the 128kbps to 320kbps datastream being sent over A2DP (I don't know the bitrate or codec Apple uses) delivers an audio quality in that environment that's indistinguishable from the wired signal we'll get by using a USB connection or a lightning adapter. YMMV.

I would highly suggest you A/B Bluetooth and wired. Even though I am a "audiophile", actually own my own company that deals with part of that. While I wouldn't expect the majority of people to hear the difference in the high-end. The low-end is VERY obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.