Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple-touch-icon-2.png
iOS gaming site (and sister site) TouchArcade has posted a roundup of their Best iOS Games for September 2012.

The list of games consists of the highest rated iOS games from just the month of September, and offers a variety of genres. Topping the list are a physics puzzler, matching puzzler, and a side-scrolling hack-and-slash game. The remainder of the list offers a similarly diverse list that may appeal to different types of gamers.

5 Stars
451786.png
Bad Piggies, $0.99 / HD
[Review] - [Forum Thread] - A fantastically fresh spin on the Angry Birds formula, this time you play as the pigs and build various contraptions to reassemble your grand plan for stealing the eggs from the birds. This game is shockingly good, and shouldn't be missed. Sandbox mode, in particular, is incredible.

509171.png
Super Monsters Ate My Condo!, $0.99
[Review] [Forum Thread] - The original game was awesome, but this new Bejeweled Blitz-like spin on the formula cranks things up to 11. Two minute long games are hectic from start to finish, and if you're good, you can still pull off those insane scores that people loved bragging about in the original Monsters Ate My Condo.

971611.png
God of Blades, $2.99
[Review] - [Forum Thread] - An incredibly unique game with art and sound design that's out of this world. It almost reminds us of Sword & Sworcery in a way in that the game is so artistic that the entire experience is something you don't see very often on the App Store. Definitely dig into our review.

4.5 Stars
692867.png
Lili(TM), $4.99
[Review] - [Forum Thread] - This Unreal engine powered game has a look at feel that is by far the most Nintendo-like I've seen on the App Store. Add a sword fighting mechanic and a Triforce, and it might pass for Zelda. The flower picking mechanic is a little weird, but it's easy to get into.

931449.png
Rayman Jungle Run, $2.99
[Review] - [Forum Thread] - When I first heard of this game, I rolled my eyes expecting another Temple Run clone. Instead, we got a platformer that is not only totally awesome but feels perfect on the iPhone.

586466.png
Plight of the Zombie, $2.99
[Review] - [Forum Thread] - A really slick line drawing stealth game that puts the player in charge of moving zombies around various levels. If you're tired of zombie games, give this one a try, it feels really fresh compared to most mindless zombie games.

027629.png
Super Hexagon, $0.99
[Review] - [Forum Thread] - This game has taken the TouchArcade crew by storm, with Jared and Arn fiercely competing on leaderboards with a few of our mutual Twitter followers. I'm not good enough at video games to make a good effort, but if you like very short very fast paced games, you need this one.

610134.png
Splice : Tree of Life, $3.99
[Review] - [Forum Thread] - Cipher Prime nails it again with an oddly obscure cellular puzzler. It started its life on the PC, but like all of their games, the iPad almost feels like Splice's natural home.

TouchArcade also lists their readers' top most anticipated games. Topping the list is Infinity Blade Dungeons, which was first previewed at Apple's iPad 3 media event in March, but hasn't yet been released.

Article Link: TouchArcade's Best iOS Games for September 2012

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I absolutely HATE Super Hexagon. After I bought it, I immediately assumed it was another one of those apps that only showed up at the top of the app store list due to scam-reviews. I couldn't imagine how ANYONE could think that game was fun. Now I'm really shocked to see it on this list. I thought it was one of the lowest quality games I'd ever played on the iPhone, and it was very boring and simplistic to boot. But I guess people really do like that sort of thing... Again, I'm shocked. I would definitely not recommend Super Hexagon.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I absolutely HATE Super Hexagon. After I bought it, I immediately assumed it was another one of those apps that only showed up at the top of the app store list due to scam-reviews. I couldn't imagine how ANYONE could think that game was fun. Now I'm really shocked to see it on this list. I thought it was one of the lowest quality games I'd ever played on the iPhone, and it was very boring and simplistic to boot. But I guess people really do like that sort of thing... Again, I'm shocked. I would definitely not recommend Super Hexagon.

I've got to 91 seconds on the starting level. I loved it.

I don't think boring is a good description. I can see how some people might not like it but more because its very hard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 135

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I've got to 91 seconds on the starting level. I loved it.

I don't think boring is a good description. I can see how some people might not like it but more because its very hard.

You're beating me by a second arn :mad:

:p

I'm addicted to Super Hexagon, its so fantastically simple, fun, retro. I absolutely love it, hope Terry updates it for the 5's screen.

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
You're beating me by a second arn :mad:

:p

I'm addicted to Super Hexagon, its so fantastically simple, fun, retro. I absolutely love it, hope Terry updates it for the 5's screen.

I wonder if he can do that, it would break the current leader boards since iPhone 5 users will have a better view with the widescreen aspect ratio. Btw, does the game have retina graphics on the iPhone or is it just a bug on the iPhone 5? It looks like it's just 320x480.

Arn my highscore on Hexagon (hard) is 91.52. :)
But that score is nothing compared to my Hyper Hexagon (88:50) and Hyper Hexagoner (77:45). I love this game. :D

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Is anybody else really pumped to see what Infinity Blade Dungeons will be like????

wasn't that supposed to be released ages ago

oh and I love that toucharcade doesn't put the price of the HD Bad Piggies (it ain't $0.99) almost as much as how I love that Roxio won't do universal apps. And I'm sure in a few weeks they will release their Bad Piggies Seasons Level Pack as another app so they can try to rule the charts even more. Tacky move that I wish Apple had never allowed (same with Cut the Rope, Where's My and others that try the same stunt)

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
wasn't that supposed to be released ages ago

oh and I love that toucharcade doesn't put the price of the HD Bad Piggies (it ain't $0.99) almost as much as how I love that Roxio won't do universal apps. And I'm sure in a few weeks they will release their Bad Piggies Seasons Level Pack as another app so they can try to rule the charts even more. Tacky move that I wish Apple had never allowed (same with Cut the Rope, Where's My and others that try the same stunt)

I agree, honestly my fav game is amazing breaker.....3 starred every level available lol. I haven't played angry birds since it first came out and don't plan on buying bad piggies. I'll stick with amazing breaker, jet pack joyride, infinity blade, and free music dload....:D

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
iOS gaming is definitely getting higher and higher quality. I just wish there were more bigger titles like Angry Birds which had storylines. This is something which is missing from mobile gaming. I love following games such as CoD and Halo on standalone consoles.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
iOS gaming is definitely getting higher and higher quality. I just wish there were more bigger titles like Angry Birds which had storylines. This is something which is missing from mobile gaming. I love following games such as CoD and Halo on standalone consoles.

Angry Birds has a storyline? lol To me it seems to be a case of, "pig eat my egg, I kill pig... THE END"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.