Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

verizonlogo-150x90.jpg

Yesterday, Apple released an iPhone 5 carrier settings update intended to address an issue in which cellular data was being used even when the device was connected to Wi-Fi. The issue drew a number of comments from users who had noticed unexpectedly high data usage over the few days they've owned their devices, and many have wondered whether they would be charged for the data consumed due to the issue.

Verizon has now issued a statement to The Loop indicating that consumers will not be charged for this data usage.
"Under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network," Verizon said in a statement provided to The Loop. "Apple has a fix that is being delivered to Verizon customers right on their iPhone 5. Verizon Wireless customers will not be charged for any unwarranted cellular data usage."
Full details on how to apply the carrier settings update are available in an Apple support document.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone 5 Customers Will Not Be Charged for Inadvertent Cellular Data Usage Issue

kaplanreject

macrumors member
Well thats good to know.

AT&T's statement would have read something like this:

Dear Customer,

We realize that you may not have been responsible for the data usage, however, it it not our fault either. Due to us having extended work loads to process the extra data usage, your will be billed double the normal amount for whatever data was inadvertently used.

P.S. We are still busy trying to find a way to screw you out of more money with the FaceTime over 3G thing, so if you neglect to download the update, we will charge you triple next time.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Even though my phone said I have used a gig of data since I got the new phone, AT&T says I've used 250mb. And I haven't been on wireless the whole time - even used the Maps app on a 3 hour car trip last week.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
How do they know which data not to charge for...?

Probably just give a free pass for overages for the month.

Still waiting for the update for this on AT&T. I had to turn off my iCloud backups so that i wouldn't use 5 gb a week. Really pissed that they haven't said a peep about this for us.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Not sure why people are praising VZ so soon. I look forward to when billing cycle time comes along and people still get charged for this. VZ's piss poor billing department was the reason I switched. That and rude CSRs.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is the right thing to do. Sadly, it doesn't happen often enough, but kudos to Verizon for addressing this quickly.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Not sure why people are praising VZ so soon. I look forward to when billing cycle time comes along and people still get charged for this. VZ's piss poor billing department was the reason I switched. That and rude CSRs.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I've been with VZ for years, was with Alltel before VZ bought them out...and their customer service has been awesome, billing is always spot on, and the few times i've needed them, they're quick to respond and correct any errors. Plus the 3G/LTE service is amazing, I've probably dropped a total of 4 calls in 5 years.

Not to mention the Facetime over Cellular thing.

TL;DR Verizon has been great for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.