Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
I've noticed that in my 2012 TL, if I use the iPhone 5 itself to make or answer calls, then the car won't "intervene". I have to answer calls using the steering wheel button, or make calls using the phone interface in order for the car to initiate the call. Otherwise, I have switch the source on the phone during the call from phone to handsfree.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
That's because most people who drive luxury cars shouldn't be driving them. They are living outside their means. People who have the income to afford those cars don't care about the luxury tax. They will drive them regardless because those cars are made for them. In a perfect world where dealerships were truthful, you would need a much higher income to debt ratio to qualify for luxury vehicles.

I'd agree that they aren't luxury cars but it wouldn't be dealerships, it would be the lenders. And there are some 'luxury' cars that are cheaper than some non-luxury cars. I also doubt if someone walked into a dealership with $50k cash that a dealership would turn them down for a car regardless of their debt/income ratio :) Not that many people buy cars with cash and there are valid reasons for not doing so.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
2012 BMW works fine here. However, when I setup the Bluetooth, I had to make sure I set it up using full audio and BT not just audio so you might want to check your settings. There may be two types of BT settings for your Acura.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
...in all seriousness and economic discussion aside. I've owned a few hondas and even an Acura (ONOES I'm living outside of my means!!... nontruth.org #itwasanRSXtypeSandnotthatexpensive)

I'd guess that if this is true across all of the newer Acura vehicles and all iPhones with iOS 6 there are going to be some problems and HoA may need to work with Apple to get some firmware updates... there's gonna be a lot of dissatisfied people with horrible FWP's

----------

On that same note, what does Acura have to say about it? They have access to all of the TSB's and there's even an internal periodical published that they can subscribe to that really just hashes out common issues/complaints and how to workaround them or address them with customers.

source: friend is a tech at Honda/I've found these kinds of things on the internets.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
iOS 6 has some BT bug. My iPhone 4S worked perfectly on my Acura TSX and after the upgrade now sounds like crap. Choppy voice, very low in volume. Still works but poor quality. The other person reports he/she can hear me well but something is off. Sounds too as if a speaker was blown when I'm using the phone.

Back on the iPhone 3G the same happened with a new version of iOS and Apple fixed it after the first revision so let's hope 6.1 takes care of these issues.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I've noticed that in my 2012 TL, if I use the iPhone 5 itself to make or answer calls, then the car won't "intervene". I have to answer calls using the steering wheel button, or make calls using the phone interface in order for the car to initiate the call. Otherwise, I have switch the source on the phone during the call from phone to handsfree.

You should also be able to hit the BT button on steering wheel and say "transfer" then the call moves from phone to car or vice versa. At least it does on my TSX.

c.az

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Yes, this is, without a doubt, a total first world problem. That being said, this is also my first brand new car and I had high hopes of everything working well. Sadly, my crap-tastic 2008 mercury worked better with my iPhone 5 than my new car does. Boo.

I've called both handsfreelink and apple. HFL was not helpful in the least bit. They apparently just received an iPhone 5 (must have preordered from AT&T) and are still testing the device with HFL. I got mixed results from apple. The first advisor threw his hand in the air as he pointed the finger at Acura, but the first Sr Advisor came on and acknowledged a problem with Honda and Acura. We started working on some fixes when the call got disconnected. I called back and got a less helpful, more snarky Sr Advisor who finally agreed to send a report to the engineers (or at least told me that was what she did).

Bottom line, it is a known issue (likely with iOS 6 and Honda/Acura).

c.az

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
YI called back and got a less helpful, more snarky Sr Advisor who finally agreed to send a report to the engineers (or at least told me that was what she did).

Is it wrong that I am fully expecting the response from the engineers to be some version of, "you are holding the phone wrong."

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
new iphone is bluetooth 4.0
is Acura on BT 4? that's probably a good reason for the compatibility issues

c.az

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
The 4S had BT 4.0 as well and it doesn't explain why my 2008 worked (with old BT), while the brand new car does not.

c.az

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I'm unfamiliar with the 2013 Acura FFS. Is it their new SUV?

Yes, it is. I test drove the FML, POS, and PITA, but I found I'm just more of a FFS kind of a girl. It just fit right. /snark

In all seriousness, there is no such thing as an Acura FFS. I purchased a 2013 RDX. It is their redesigned crossover.

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Wife's iPhone 5 works well with my 2013 BMW X5 35i...
I think your problem is the car manufacturer: Acura and not the iPhone 5....

Should re-post in a Acura Forum and complain there?
:p

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Yes, it is. I test drove the FML, POS, and PITA, but I found I'm just more of a FFS kind of a girl. It just fit right. /snark

In all seriousness, there is no such thing as an Acura FFS. I purchased a 2013 RDX. It is their redesigned crossover.

Let's not forget about the Classic Acura SMH

bov

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
Anyone have an answer to this problem?

I'm having a strange issue where my mom's iPhone 5 works perfectly fine on the 2013 RDX, but my dad's iPhone 5 does not have any sound only on Incoming calls. Outgoing calls from the bluetooth works fine.. Same iPhone 5, same software, same settings. Have tried deleting and adding both devices and same issue.

Any ideas?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
A lot of folks have had problems taking calls via bluetooth handsfree. It depends on the make of the radio (or make of the car with the same radios depending on how you want to look at it. A solution was posted in the Apple Discussion forum and it works for me (Honda 2013 CR-V no NAVI).

Bruce2125 wrote:I have discovered a workaround for the issue which may be of use to other IOS6/iPhone5 users. I found that by going to Preferences/General/Accessibility/Physical and Motor/Incoming Calls and changing it from Default to Headset forces the iPhone to use the 'Headset' if one is available for incoming calls. As the bluetooth speaker on the handsfree is effectively a 'Headset' incoming calls are directed to the bluetooth speaker. When the phone is out of the car and the handsfree disconnects itself the phone behaves normally.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
A lot of folks have had problems taking calls via bluetooth handsfree. It depends on the make of the radio (or make of the car with the same radios depending on how you want to look at it. A solution was posted in the Apple Discussion forum and it works for me (Honda 2013 CR-V no NAVI).

Bruce2125 wrote:I have discovered a workaround for the issue which may be of use to other IOS6/iPhone5 users. I found that by going to Preferences/General/Accessibility/Physical and Motor/Incoming Calls and changing it from Default to Headset forces the iPhone to use the 'Headset' if one is available for incoming calls. As the bluetooth speaker on the handsfree is effectively a 'Headset' incoming calls are directed to the bluetooth speaker. When the phone is out of the car and the handsfree disconnects itself the phone behaves normally.

I say this with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality: if this works, I'm going to hunt down and kiss both you and Bruce2125. I've had this problem since day one with my 2012 Acadia Denali.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
I'm thinking maybe its a Honda/iphone no worky thing. I have a friend that couldnt get her Fathers little Honda jeep to work with bluetooth either

----------

OMG LOL
I'm in love! Marry me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.