Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarton

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2006
How do they know which data not to charge for...?
I have this same question. Also, I noticed how much cellular data I was using in the first few day (that I couldn't account for) so I proactively switched from a 2GB to a 4GB plan to avoid the overage charge. I'm guessing they won't reimburse the differential of the plan costs.

alexsch8

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
Miami, FL
I brought this up a long time ago in another post but I have seen this for the longest time on AT&T: While at home on wi-fi the iPhone still uses a lot of cell data for no apparent reason. I am not talking about a few KBs, I am talking several MBs. And AT&T's smart response was: Go into the menu, several layers down and turn of 3G when at home. Ridiculous.

"... Oh, and... yeah, you should also reboot your smart phone once a day."

So frustrating.

Glad to hear that Verizon actually listens to their customers.

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
That's great news for you guys. I glad they can push updates to one carrier, since my carrier is having an issue with the 5 that will need to be pushed as well.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Thanks Verizon. This is what I like to see, companies actually caring.

The only thing they care about is the inevitable poop-storm that this would turn in to if they didn't waive overages. With most people still within their return period, they have to kiss some butts for a while.

inspirations365

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2008
Thanks Verizon. This is what I like to see, companies actually caring.

Yeah, there's two reasons I'm going to say no to this.

1) Forced ****** shared data plans (new customers).

2) Losing unlimited data to get an iPhone 5 at a subsidized price. Srsly wtf?

AT&T may still have the FaceTime issue spotting their record (they too are far from perfect, I know). But that's (relatively) minor compared to the above.

chazcron

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
AT&T have already waived mine (iP5) and my wife (iP4S) WHEN we inevitably go over. She had 100MBs (half her monthy) drain while at home in WiFi.

A credit is all well and good, but that only covers this month. If AT&T doesn't work with Apple to fix this as Verizon did (I may be assuming Apple was involved) I will be peeved again next month when the same thing happens again.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Congrats I guess. But what part of this being a VERIZON problem are people not undertanding?

What part of AT&T customers are having the same issue are you not understanding?

Just because only the Verizon patch has been issues and a problem announced doesn't mean a lack of it on AT&T, just a lack of public announcement.

If you look around the forums there are a lot of reports of this bug on carriers worldwide, it's an iOS 6 issue not a carrier thing. While Verizon may have had other issues too that needed to be patched this is not an isolated problem.

I experienced it using cell data to complete iCloud backups on both a 4s and 5 running iOS 6.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Don't live in the US but from what I've seen on here Verizon are the nuts... why go with AT&T if these guys rock it?

It is a locational choice. In some areas, one company or the other has better coverage. In rural areas, for example, some people are lucky to get even one company's signal, and have little choice but to go with them.

There are vast swaths of the country with low population density.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Why are u applauding Verizon? Of course they shouldn't charge it was an error. AT&T would do the same

With Verizon you can never be sure. They're like a 5-year-old or a young puppy-- you have to praise them when they do what they should, and say "bad doggy!" when they act up.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
With Verizon you can never be sure. They're like a 5-year-old or a young puppy-- you have to praise them when they do what they should, and say "bad doggy!" when they act up.

So by your logic we need to treat AT&T like one of Mike Vick's dogs because they have been acting up for years and no amount of saying bad dog is changing things

sandler77

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
Verizon providing credits on this... Just call them!

I called Verizon this morning after updating the "software fix" last night. They acknowledged the issue. I had already racked up 1.2GB in less than a week, mostly on WIFI usage. They noted my account, and said they would revisit my account when my bill prints on 10/22 and credit me 1.2GB just in case I exceeded my family share data plan. Thus, I can be over my family share limit (4GB for 2 iphone 5s) and won't pay overages until I exceed more than 5.2GB this month. Should be fine, as I had not gone over 2GB on my iphone 4 for the last two years in any of the 24 months...

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
They damn well better return that money. As it is, their data is the most expensive of all carriers.

They should but then Apple should compensate them because obviously this is Apple's fault. With their secrecy, Apple denies carriers opportunity to test the phones and this is a result. It goes to show the limits of Apple trying to extricate carriers from affecting iPhone experience.

brettizzle

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
Michigan!
When did AT&T say they were going to charge customers that had this problem?

I think he was saying that because Verizon is letting their customers know that there is a problem and they aren't going to screw them on their next bill. AT&T still hasn't even acknowledged the issue, if there is one on their network, but according to several posts I have read on this forum they seem to have the same issue. ;)

zerind

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
RE: AT&T - I've had absolutely normal data usage with my iP5 on AT&T in an LTE area.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I think he was saying that because Verizon is letting their customers know that there is a problem and they aren't going to screw them on their next bill. AT&T still hasn't even acknowledged the issue, if there is one on their network, but according to several posts I have read on this forum they seem to have the same issue. ;)

Exactly, so they didn't say they were going to charge att users!!;p. I swear it feels like I know you somehow, like I know when your messing with me lmao.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Don't live in the US but from what I've seen on here Verizon are the nuts... why go with AT&T if these guys rock it?

This is a good move by Verizon, but if you are wondering why anybody would stay with AT&T, I would say the three reasons are:

1) Simultaneous voice & data
2) Better non-LTE speeds (Verizon's CDMA fallback is much slower)
3) Customer Service

I own a Verizon iPad with the pre-paid month-to-month data service and 2 AT&T iPhones. AT&T customer service has made me very happy 95% of the time in the last three years (they have really stepped up their customer service). What's more, Verizon's "pre-paid" service reps have been helpful when I had to switch iPads and transfer my account. However, when I have called Verizon regarding post-paid plans or used their online chat service to get information on their post-paid data plans to determine if I would want to switch our iPhones based on price, both times the representatives I talked to were extremely pushy and very slow to listen to the questions I was asking. All they wanted to know was "Are you ready to switch? Can I sign you up?" and they kept cutting me off mid-sentence to ask me those questions. Let me tell you how much I wanted to switch to Verizon after dealing with that.

In addition to that, Verizon reps are very misinformed about their own data plans. They will often tell you that there is an activation fee to activate the iPad pre-paid data plan. When the iPad 2 and iPad 3 launched media outlets were reporting an activation fee associated with the Verizon model because that's what Verizon incorrectly reps told them.

A Verizon rep signed up my wife's grandpa who lives in rural Idaho for a data plan for his home using a USB stick on his PC. The plan was $40 per month for 250MB per month (no joke). Besides over-charging for the data, my wife's Grandpa could not figure out how to use the USB stick so my mother-in-law tried to get the plan cancelled. The rep said they had cancelled it, but it was still being charged a year later. I recently visited him and got the first rep to understand what we wanted to do since we were just going to buy him an iPad and go with 1GB for $20 per month. The first rep was helpful but then she had to have me talk to the high-pressure representative who tries to talk you out of canceling your service. I explained to her that he did not know how to use the USB stick and we were going with the iPad instead. Her first attempt to talk me out of canceling was to tell me that there was an activation fee for the new iPad service. I told her that there was not because it was a pre-paid plan -- she told me I was wrong and that I did not know what I was talking about. Then she asked if we simply wanted to transfer his exorbitantly priced $40 per-month post-paid 250MB plan to the new iPad instead, to which I simply asked "are you kidding?". I could not believe she was offering 1/4 the data at twice the price and trying to sell it with a mythical activation fee. After I started raising my voice to clear the hurdles of her objections, she finally agreed to cancel the service that they should have cancelled a year earlier.

About 4 to 5 years ago this was the kind of customer service that I got from AT&T before they went all out to improve their customer service. I have no intention of going back to being treated that way. If T-mobile had decent coverage and LTE in the USA, I would probably use them because their customer service is supposedly outstanding and their prices are much better.

jlb500

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Verizon/Apple error calculating data for web page????

I, too, have used an exorbitant amount of data (> 2 GB in less than a week, NEVER exceeded 2.4 GB in a month previously) while using LTE. However, I noticed that the data per web page seems incredibly excessive. Here is a photo of a single loading of a NYTimes web page (9MB!)--I zeroed out the data prior to this image. It often ranges 12-20 MB per web page. Of course, the normal content is about 300-1200 KB. Anyone else experience this? Verizon and Apple seem flummoxed by this . . .

Attachments

• Photo on 9-30-12 at 8.17 PM.jpg
    Photo on 9-30-12 at 8.17 PM.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 114

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
When did AT&T say they were going to charge customers that had this problem?

Like they would, because they are so pro customer :rolleyes:

Why are u applauding Verizon? Of course they shouldn't charge it was an error. AT&T would do the same

Lol

Well thats good to know.

AT&T's statement would have read something like this:

Dear Customer,

We realize that you may not have been responsible for the data usage, however, it it not our fault either. Due to us having extended work loads to process the extra data usage, your will be billed double the normal amount for whatever data was inadvertently used.

P.S. We are still busy trying to find a way to screw you out of more money with the FaceTime over 3G thing, so if you neglect to download the update, we will charge you triple next time.

Precisely.

I think the insinuation is that he feels AT&T has the same problem (excessive data usage) and they have not done the same. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Spot on.

I think it is an issue. I somehow have already used 1.2Gb in 8 days? I don't believe that ... especially when I've been mostly on WiFi and monitor my data like a hawk.

----------

This is a good move by Verizon, but if you are wondering why anybody would stay with AT&T, I would say the three reasons are:

1) Simultaneous voice & data
2) Better non-LTE speeds (Verizon's CDMA fallback is much slower)
3) Customer Service

1.) It's actually only an iPhone related issue, other smartphones can use simultaneous voice and data. Personally, I think AT&T really buddied up with Apple to screw CDMA carriers from this functionality.

2.) That's definitely true. I guess whereas Verizon has LTE almost everywhere at least I live, it's a moot point. I don't need 3G anymore.

3.) Lol, sorry, but no. They are slow, uninformed, rude/don't, speak English and often just credit your account to tell to compensate you for your time.

chazcron

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
RE: AT&T - I've had absolutely normal data usage with my iP5 on AT&T in an LTE area.

Congratulations on not spending 20 of 24 hours sitting or sleeping in a spotty WiFi connection (that used to never switch over to cellular data until IOS 6.)

kappaz

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
There is definitely an issue with AT&T as well. I've had my phone for three days and have already used 1.4GB out of my 2GB limit. With the IP4 I rarely went above 300MB a month because I'm always on wifi. Besides doing a speedtest and browsing some websites I haven't done anything else on LTE to warrant that type of data usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.