Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applecare_plus_icon-150x150.jpg

Bloomberg reports that European Union (EU) officials are asking member states to examine Apple's warranty advertising practices, alleging that the practices may be misleading for not adequately addressing two-year guarantees required under EU law. Apple was previously fined $1.2 million in Italy over the issue, but examination of the situation now appears set to spread to other countries in the region.
EU Justice Commissioner Viviane Reding wrote to member countries to ask them to check whether Apple retailers failed to advertise buyers' right to a minimum two-year warranty for products such as the iPhone and the iPad tablet computer.

"Apple prominently advertised that its products come with a one-year manufacturer warranty but failed to clearly indicate the consumers' automatic and free-of-cost entitlement to a minimum two-year guarantee under EU law," Reding said to ministers in the letter, which was obtained by Bloomberg News. "These are unacceptable marketing practices."
As we noted in March, Apple has taken great pains to outline the differences between standard warranty coverage from Apple, EU-required warranties, and Apple's AppleCare extended warranty programs. As we summarized at the time:
- Apple's warranty is good for one year, while EU protection lasts for two years.

- Apple's warranty covers defects that arise at any time during the warranty period. EU protection laws generally require consumers to prove that a given defect was present at the time of product delivery.

- Apple's warranty coverage applies only to Apple products. EU protection laws require sellers to support any products they sell, so the EU coverage would apply to both Apple-branded products and third-party products sold by Apple.
Apple's pages outlining EU-required warranty support appear to sufficiently outline the various warranty programs under which customers may be covered, but questions appear to remain about whether the company is doing enough to make customers aware of the EU warranty policies. The issue is of particular concern with respect to AppleCare purchases, with regulators wanting to make sure customers are adequately informed about exactly what coverages they gain by purchasing the extended warranty coverage compared to standard coverages applicable to all purchases.

Article Link: European Union Requesting Examinations of Apple's Warranty Advertising Practices

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Here we go again....hopefully they've worded it more carefully and are more clear about it this time.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
This crap again? It should be the consumer's responsibility to know what the law guarantees. You don't want AppleCare? Don't buy it.

Dark-Sider

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Here we go again. If the EU investigates this issue, they should also investigate Dell and other companies, because they do the same thing.

Wish the US had the same consumer rights that the EU provides!
The "warranty" that is provided under EU-Law is a joke, because the vendor of the item has to provide the warranty by himself. Most vendors are trying to find excuses why the "warranty" does not apply to the presented defect. Of course you can go to court and sue them and win the case after 2 or 3 years when the product's life span is already over...

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
It would be nice if Apple just made two-year warranty standard across their products around the world. But I guess the expense wouldn't make shareholders happy.

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
It would be nice if Apple just made two-year warranty standard across their products around the world. But I guess the expense wouldn't make shareholders happy.

The price we pay has the cost of a 12 month warrantee built into it, if they where to include 24 months coverage we would pay more. I personally like having the option.

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
good news, it is very misleading on their website. Lets hope something is done.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Wish the US had the same consumer rights that the EU provides!

No doubt.

But this is America gosh dangit. You have to yell and scream loud enough to the right people in order to *possibly* attain anything similar to what this article is portraying.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Btw, I think the Apple Care + icon is wrong. At least where I live, Swiss, we only get regular Apple Care. I had to buy my AC+ in the USA.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Instead of the Apple warranty is 1 year, but EU gives you two years, who doesn't Apple just say they give you a 2 year warranty since the EU requires it? Then offer Apple care to add two more years giving the owner 4 years of coverage?:confused:

Is that to easy?

I wish the US required 2 years.

Reactions: AleXXXa

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Instead of the Apple warranty is 1 year, but EU gives you two years, who doesn't Apple just say they give you a 2 year warranty since the EU requires it? Then offer Apple care to add two more years giving the owner 4 years of coverage?:confused:

Is that to easy?

I wish the US required 2 years.

Because that would mean Apple have confidence in their own products. AppleCare actively tell people you only get 1 years coverage.

They do lie on the phone. They will quiet happily tell you, that after the 1 year you are totally on your own. If ever there was a case of miss-selling this is it.

MartinSpoon

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
UK
Here we go again. If the EU investigates this issue, they should also investigate Dell and other companies, because they do the same thing.

The "warranty" that is provided under EU-Law is a joke, because the vendor of the item has to provide the warranty by himself. Most vendors are trying to find excuses why the "warranty" does not apply to the presented defect. Of course you can go to court and sue them and win the case after 2 or 3 years when the product's life span is already over...

Why do you think this is a joke?

Speaking about the UK specifically, the principal is simple - any transaction is a contract, and it's with the vendor. I buy milk in the grocery shop, I have a contract with the vendor. I give them £1 and they give me milk, and I have the right to expect the product to fit the description, be fit for purpose, and last a reasonable amount of time. If it was defective, the responsibility is on the vendor to prove it wasn't like that when sold. After a set period of time, it becomes my responsibility to prove it was. My relationship starts and ends with the vendor - I'm not interested in who supplied it to them.

The reasonable amount of time clause is often cause for debate, admittedly, but if a phone provider gives me a 2 year contract with an iPhone, 2 years is surely reasonable (although I think longer).

Having said all that.. It's almost always easier and quicker to go straight to the manufacturer!

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
If you live in the EU you should know about your laws, no? So why the need for companies to advertise it for them?

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Why are people trying to defend Apple here? Are you that loyal to a brand that you literally ENCOURAGE a company to be devious in a way that DOESN'T benefit you whatsoever?

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Great news.

Most manufacturers are now giving 2 year warranties by default in the EU now, including the likes of Samsung.

Yet Apple are still trying to get me to pay an extra £60 on top of the £700 I paid for my scuffed up iPhone.

Someone needs to sack Tim Cook.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Another idiotic lawsuit. So Apple has to spend their money to have special advertising for the morons who live in Europe and don't know that the law there makes all manufacturers give you a 2 year warranty. And who gets the money from the lawsuit... probably the government. These stupid laws and stupid lawsuits really make me sick. A company should be free to have whatever warranty period they wish, and if the consumer wants more then they can buy more coverage or not by the product. Let market demand and competition dictate what is needed.

Edit: I'm not implying that all Europeans are morons... I'm meaning the morons who don't know the law about 2 year warranties, which should be common knowledge if all companies are required to provide it in Europe. After reading what I wrote, just wanted to be clear.

Last edited:

MartinSpoon

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
UK
If you live in the EU you should know about your laws, no? So why the need for companies to advertise it for them?

It's mis-selling something, which in UK at least is a big issue just now (banks selling insurance products that did not cover the people they were sold to).

Apple want to sell me something that is mostly covered for free as part of my legal rights. That's exploitation of the customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.