Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:36 PM   #51
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupertinoRat View Post
Nonsense. Jobsie never intended for iPhone to be used with a case.
Intention and reality are two separate things.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:37 PM   #52
aaronsullivan
macrumors regular

It has been an awesome year. Well deserved.

For all those naysayers:
The iPhone 5 is a spectacular product and an improvement in every way.
iPad 3 is stunning and has maintained market dominance.
MacBooks are great and the Retina MacBook is pushing it all forward nicely.
I've found Mountain Lion to be exactly what I expected: a sweet refinement of Lion and it integrates very well with my other Apple devices without losing anything (in contrast to Windows 8, I might add)
The Maps thing is embarrassing but necessary and WAY overblown.
Mac Pro was a sore spot long before 2012 and we actually KNOW it's coming early next year which is a plus!
aaronsullivan is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:37 PM   #53
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tYNS View Post
I was just about to write this same things. This is probably the least innovative and lack lustre year of apple since 1996. I have been using Apple products professionally for 2 decades. This year I was "forced" to buy a PC. It made me incredibly sad to have to leave the apple universe.
I left iPhone earlier this year and am really thinking about leaving Mac as well. Windows 8 looks fresh and like MS are trying to look at their OS with new eyes - Apple just keep churning out the same stuff with minor tweaks that they call "revolutionary".

There's no doubt 2012 has been great for profits and shareholders, but it's been awful for the Apple consumer.

Cook's comment about a 'post-PC' era confirms to me that they're putting the majority of their recources into mobile (which is a concern that the iPhone 5 is the best they can do after a year of development). I really and truly hate to say it, but I will seriously consider a Windows PC when my Air is ready for an upgrade.
tekno is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:38 PM   #54
rmul86
macrumors 6502

...And to show his grattitude towards the indentured servants at Foxcon China, Tim Cook is shipping them a brand new line of suicide nets!
rmul86 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:41 PM   #55
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
No new iMacs, no new Mac Pros, a terrible iPhone 5 launch, closure of Ping, launch of a very mediocre 'new' OSX, Lightning adaptors not available on iPhone launch, disastrous launch of Maps... yes, I can see it's been an outstanding year.
In before "...but.. but.. they sold 5 million phones!" as if sales numbers are an indication of 100% customer satisfaction.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:41 PM   #56
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No new iMacs, no new Mac Pros, a terrible iPhone 5 launch, closure of Ping, launch of a very mediocre 'new' OSX, Lightning adaptors not available on iPhone launch, disastrous launch of Maps... yes, I can see it's been an outstanding year.
I agree about OSX and Maps, but not really anything else.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:42 PM   #57
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's my thought process as an Oakland Raiders fan to not throw in the towel so quickly (even though Al Davis fired his coaches fairly quickly towards the end) though I am getting a bit sick of "Steve would have never done this and Steve would have never done that."

Steve Jobs wasn't perfect and made mistakes. He had a great run from the time he came back until his untimely and unfortunate death last year though he was not flawless.

We can't say for sure that some or all of these problems wouldn't have happened under his watch.

I really want a new Mac mini, iMac, and Mac Pro to be released even though I only have a need for the mini. I still think the quadrant was a perfect setup.

Give Tim a bit more time. I think the stock price will indicate what happens and if Apple begins a steady decline then we will know for sure whether he is right for the job.
Ice Dragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:44 PM   #58
nostromo77

Puke...

Oh God.. makes me sick...

And once more together, this time with feeling "And for our next trick, we shall all bend over, pull down our pants and whistle the Apple anthem for Mister Cook"

Trust me people wearing the blue t-shirt makes you loose all perspective, it's like a damn cult... I never would have believed it until I noticed I became like them."

Yes, they have great products, but seriously, get a grip people it's just a freaking computer company that's THE most greediest of them all. They don't sell products as they taught us during core training it's an idea, a vision... translation... a lie...

I'm sick of how people got so twisted into believing it's the next religion. Get a grip it's just a computer store, spend your time and money on something that won't give you cancer when held to your head, or suck your time into an black hole and loose all perspective on what life truly has to offer...

Sorry if you happen to be the few who actually LIVE for this... but until you have been inside, you can't say much. For those who's gotten damaged by core training... "there's still hope for you yet"...
  4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:44 PM   #59
aaronsullivan
macrumors regular

Apple has introduced some truly cool shifts in the way files are saved and versions and cloud synchronization, but it seems that innovative developers just don't care about the desktop much anymore. It's quickly becoming a place for work and not lifestyle. It's going to be a hard transition for everyone as it is all sorted out.

Apple is doing a better job than Microsoft and Google so far, imo. Chrome OS doesn't cut it for much of anything and Windows 8 is some sort of Frankenstein's monster.
aaronsullivan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:47 PM   #60
rendevouspoo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post
It has been an awesome year. Well deserved.

For all those naysayers:

The Maps thing is embarrassing but necessary and WAY overblown.
How is the Maps thing overblown? They got rid of a CLEAR superior product for a terrible replacement.
rendevouspoo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:48 PM   #61
twigman08
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchiato2009 View Post
Thank you Tim but as usual, retail staff will not spend thanksgiving with family...

we will have to work...

so guys in their offices have their 3 days off, and people working their a_s_s off all year long will continue to enjoy working their a_s_s off for the company and will take these 3 days in Feb or March like past years

great
Can't tell if you're serious but I don't even know if I want to go into the retail store you work at. Last thing I want is to get someone who is pissed at his company because they have to work on some of the most busiest times for the retail workplace. Seriously dude, if you hate your job that much then I would start looking for another.

Which retail store do you work at so I can be sure to avoid it.
twigman08 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #62
jaysen
macrumors 6502

It's the least we can do after billions of dollars we earn.
jaysen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #63
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostromo77 View Post
Oh God.. makes me sick...

And once more together, this time with feeling "And for our next trick, we shall all bend over, pull down our pants and whistle the Apple anthem for Mister Cook"

Trust me people wearing the blue t-shirt makes you loose all perspective, it's like a damn cult... I never would have believed it until I noticed I became like them."

Yes, they have great products, but seriously, get a grip people it's just a freaking computer company that's THE most greediest of them all. They don't sell products as they taught us during core training it's an idea, a vision... translation... a lie...

I'm sick of how people got so twisted into believing it's the next religion. Get a grip it's just a computer store, spend your time and money on something that won't give you cancer when held to your head, or suck your time into an black hole and loose all perspective on what life truly has to offer...

Sorry if you happen to be the few who actually LIVE for this... but until you have been inside, you can't say much. For those who's gotten damaged by core training... "there's still hope for you yet"...
Like posting on a Mac forum? Interesting perspective you have there...
chrisbru is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:50 PM   #64
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 68000

Let them all go except the morons who work on maps, Forstall included. Break a few US labor laws if you must, clearly they had plenty of "off time" during the development process.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:50 PM   #65
jrlcopy
macrumors 6502

P.S. Maps team, you're still not allowed to leave the building.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #66
mcfrazieriv
macrumors member

So the people who are supposed to sell the products are also supposed to be the people who don't work on Thanksgiving?

Bottom of the food chain retail staff < responsibility of product planners/ engineers

that's life. we aren't all entitled to everything just because we exist. work hard, rise up in rank and get the benefits of becoming corporate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchiato2009 View Post
Thank you Tim but as usual, retail staff will not spend thanksgiving with family...

we will have to work...

so guys in their offices have their 3 days off, and people working their a_s_s off all year long will continue to enjoy working their a_s_s off for the company and will take these 3 days in Feb or March like past years

great
mcfrazieriv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:51 PM   #67
StephenCampbell
macrumors 6502a

Post-PC era... good god. This is a nightmare!!!

Edit: It seems he coined this term a little while ago. It's not new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-PC_era
StephenCampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:56 PM   #68
omenatarhuri
macrumors 6502

As a shareholder I must say that I am not happy with this. Apple has **** hitting the fan every other day and they want to have extra time off... sheesh.

Tim, you have to know how to be tough to be nice another day.

"Work is not supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be gratifying." - Ken Segall's book
omenatarhuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:56 PM   #69
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan022 View Post
Maybe you should stay at work and work on the Maps app.
He did say
Quote:
Retail and some other teams will need to work that week so we can continue to serve our customers,
Hopefully that includes the Map team
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:58 PM   #70
aaronsullivan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendevouspoo View Post
How is the Maps thing overblown? They got rid of a CLEAR superior product for a terrible replacement.
I haven't found anything wrong with it at all, much less "terrible."

What have your experiences been?

Given recent revelations, it seems Apple needed turn by turn navigation, Google didn't want to give it without pushing their invasive latitude tech into the Maps app. Apple had to accelerate its own map plans.

I'm amazed at how well it works as a 1.0 app and service compared to Google's which has dominated for SO long with its own maps technology.

Apple's biggest mistake was how much it oversold Maps as the greatest thing ever when it simply matches what's already here. (They were right to brag in China however where it is lauded.) Now, every little error is proclaimed as evidence of how "terrible" the data is, when in actuality Google Maps is full of similar errors and no one has made any definitive comparison -- and what a difficult task that would be!

The way it deals with some types of searches can be improved.

The other unfortunate problem is that missing transit information. Haven't needed it myself, so I don't know how well the third party thing is working out yet. Heard it was getting populated pretty quickly, though.

It's a public and embarrassing problem, but it seems more PR and steady improvements will fix it than anything drastic. Should be good for everyone as there will be a big Map tech duel in the next couple years.

Last edited by aaronsullivan; Oct 1, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
aaronsullivan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:00 PM   #71
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Despite all that, stock is up (well, generally)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone67 View Post
WTF Tim! What are you doing? You let the buggiest IOS to date be released!
The Maps App was a Flop!
Everyone knew what the damn phone looked like before it was released.
You cant keep up with the US supply of iphone 5 and you sending to other countries!

Now rewarding your workers for inadequacies!

I say work over the holidays to fix the IOS Issues!
Outside of Maps, what is buggy about iOS 6?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:02 PM   #72
Scott6666
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone67 View Post
WTF Tim! What are you doing? You let the buggiest IOS to date be released!
The Maps App was a Flop!
Everyone knew what the damn phone looked like before it was released.
You cant keep up with the US supply of iphone 5 and you sending to other countries!

Now rewarding your workers for inadequacies!

I say work over the holidays to fix the IOS Issues!
Don't worry on #4. While the Cupertino workers feast, the Foxconn drones will put in their 60 hours making us and the world phones. Maybe just a little Thanksgiving riot but nothing too ostentatious.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:03 PM   #73
dashiel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tYNS View Post
I was just about to write this same things. This is probably the least innovative and lack lustre year of apple since 1996. I have been using Apple products professionally for 2 decades. This year I was "forced" to buy a PC. It made me incredibly sad to have to leave the apple universe.

The crowds apple has attracted now are strangely forgiving of the ginormous holes in the desktop line. OS X is in very poor shape as well. Ever since Bertrand left.. OS x has been extremely buggy and losing it's professional limbs. It is an extension of the ipad/iphone it seems.

I sure hope the best for apple's post-pc strategy, but honestly.. Other than just copying google services, they don't have much functionality or substance any more for professionals. The style of the hardware is innovative, but they lost the guts. They used to be on par if not ahead of the PC industry.
Since 1996? Really? Let’s see in 1996 we got the “revolutionary” Performa 5400 line, the PowerMac 4400/7200 and the 1400cs. Not to mention the blockbuster release of System 7.5.3 followed for 7.5.3 Rev 2 and 7.5.3 Rev 2.1 and 7.5.3 Rev 2.2 – seriously Mac OS was in such a horrible state back then we had to have dot releases for our dot releases.

Maybe you meant 2006 when we got the same G5 iMac, but with an Intel processor shoved in it. Ditto the MacBook, MacBook Pros, Mac Pro & Mac mini, nothing more than a switch to Intel. The switch to Intel was brilliantly executed and for egg heads pretty damned impressive, but the line-up didn’t change appreciably one iota for 12 months. The iPod got video, the nano got colors. Leopard was released which was a pretty good release. There was also a sneak peak at AppleTV.
dashiel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:04 PM   #74
elensil
macrumors regular

You are scratching it wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupertinoRat View Post
When's he gonna address the scratches on ip5 ?
elensil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2012, 01:07 PM   #75
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfailure View Post
Seems to be a major category missing to me.

Sort it !!!!
The Mac Pro is definitely NOT a major category...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion