Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports that it has received information from a source indicating that Apple's assembly partner Foxconn has begun production on the forthcoming "iPad mini" at its facilities in Brazil. The report seems to be a follow-up on the site's July report claiming that production would begin ramping in Brazil in September.
According to my source, iPad mini was started production in Brazilian factory. I don't have information if it has been produced in Chinese factory, yet.
Foxconn has been working to ramp up iPhone and iPad production in Brazil, negotiating with government officials there for tax breaks to help tap into the large workforce in the country and to help its partners such as Apple circumvent high import taxes on foreign-made goods in the world's fifth most-populous country.

ipadmini4_small.jpg
Mockup of 7.85-inch "iPad mini" next to full-size iPad (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)
Mac Otakara's source indicates that the iPad mini units in production in Brazil lack a small hole near the top center of the device's rear shell, which some had speculated was for a microphone. That feature has appeared on cases and design drawings that have leaked over the past few months, as well as in the numerous physical mockups currently circulating.

Apple will reportedly be introducing the iPad mini at a media event scheduled for this month, with a source reporting to Fortune that Apple is rumored to be sending out invitations on October 10. Based on Apple's typical timelines, the media event would take place about one week later.

Article Link: 'iPad Mini' Production Reportedly Underway in Brazil

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Maybe this is why we have no fuzzy pictures yet. If they were in production in China, we would have a full iPad already. :D

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
"I want an iPad mini"
-Said no one ever

EDIT: It appears I may be wrong. Quite surprised that people actually want this thing.

Last edited:

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
And the BigPad quakes in fear as its moment of cannibalization rapidly approaches...

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
I think, im loosing excitements about any "new" i devises. Waited for
New imac too long, no more interested

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
"It is exactly like the iPad in every way. Except 1/8 it's size..."

Edit: I want pics. What's the deal, the Brazilians can't take crappy pictures like the Chinese? Roll out some pictures, Foxconn - Brazil!

Renzatic

Suspended
Didn't the iPad kill off the MacBook Air? I thought that was why Apple went down.

It started like that, then Tim Cook's coke habit got out of control, and somehow a car that got turned into a time machine came into play somewhere, and...man. The downfall of Apple is all kinds of convoluted.

Oh, and Apple Maps killing all those nuns on that bus. Can't forget that part.

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I did.

Always wanted the 7"-ish size.

+1, have always wanted something a little more portable than the regular iPad. nexus 7 almost got a hold of me until these rumors started heating up. Now I will wait until at least the holiday season to make a decision on a tablet.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Technically, you are right.

----------

Yeah, Apple threaten the families of the employees the same way soccer refs fear for their families lives. :(

So technically, Chinese people don`t care about their families?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.