Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrazyPirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Hi there,

I have a small problem with my MacMail settings. I'm using two e-mail adresses; Hotmail and Gmail. So when i bought my MacBook Pro (2 days ago) i added 2 e-mail accounts to MacMail: a Gmail and a Hotmail account. The Gmail account works perfectly. I see all my maps, and the e-mails sync with the server without any problems.
But it's anothor case with the Hotmail account. When i'm at home i use my desktop PC (windows). So that's also where i read my mail. To do this i use Windows Live Mail. Before i got the Mac there where no problems and i could read my mail on my iPod and Android phone without any problems. It wouls sync immediately and i could see all the maps in my Inbox. All these things don't work on my Mac. When i read an email on my hotmail account and delete it afterwards it doesn't sync with my Windows Live. And i also can't see the maps i've made in Windows Live on my Mac.

I know it's only a settings problem, because i had the same problems with my iPod.

Could someone please explain what i should do?

Thak you very much!!

SuperRob

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Hi there,

I have a small problem with my MacMail settings. I'm using two e-mail adresses; Hotmail and Gmail. So when i bought my MacBook Pro (2 days ago) i added 2 e-mail accounts to MacMail: a Gmail and a Hotmail account. The Gmail account works perfectly. I see all my maps, and the e-mails sync with the server without any problems.
But it's anothor case with the Hotmail account. When i'm at home i use my desktop PC (windows). So that's also where i read my mail. To do this i use Windows Live Mail. Before i got the Mac there where no problems and i could read my mail on my iPod and Android phone without any problems. It wouls sync immediately and i could see all the maps in my Inbox. All these things don't work on my Mac. When i read an email on my hotmail account and delete it afterwards it doesn't sync with my Windows Live. And i also can't see the maps i've made in Windows Live on my Mac.

I know it's only a settings problem, because i had the same problems with my iPod.

Could someone please explain what i should do?

Thak you very much!!

Hotmail doesn't support IMAP through Mail.app, which is exactly what you'd need. There are some workarounds, but none of them are satisfactory in my opinion. Sadly, this appears to be an issue of Microsoft intentionally blocking the desktop apps from using the IMAP interface, since the same settings work fine in mobile apps.

CrazyPirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
Hotmail doesn't support IMAP through Mail.app, which is exactly what you'd need. There are some workarounds, but none of them are satisfactory in my opinion. Sadly, this appears to be an issue of Microsoft intentionally blocking the desktop apps from using the IMAP interface, since the same settings work fine in mobile apps.

So there's no way i could sync my hotmail with my MacMail?
What about Outlook? Or will i have the same problem?

CrazyPirate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
I think you will have the same problems - Never gotten hotmail to work with desktop mail platforms on any system except for mobile ones.

Well that sucks!! :(
So there's no other way? That's just sad..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.