Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its investor relations page to note that it will announce its earnings for the fourth fiscal quarter (third calendar quarter) of 2012, as well as results for the full fiscal year, on Thursday, October 25. The earnings release typically occurs just after 4:30 PM Eastern Time following the close of regular stock trading, and the conference call is scheduled to follow at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific.

q4fy12.jpg

MacRumors will provide running coverage of the earnings release and conference call.

The release will provide a look into the strength of iPhone 5 sales in the first weeks of availability. Apple reported weaker than expected results three months ago on lower-than-expected iPhone sales, and the company provided guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 expecting revenue of $34 billion and earnings per diluted share of $7.65.

If Apple meets that guidance, the company will log more than $150 billion in sales for fiscal 2012, more than $40 billion higher than in 2011.

Article Link: Apple to Announce 4Q 2012 Earnings on October 25

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Should be some whopping earnings, yet I can't bring myself to buy Apple stock.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Sell your stocks before the earnings. It always will be a disappointment and the stock will drop.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
They will probably disappoint again. They couldn't make enough iPhone 5s to make up for low sales of the old model.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Time to see if they bounced back from Q2's earning miss (yes, I know the numbers were phenomenal, I even said so myself on quite a few occasions). Wondering if this will be yet another weak quarter though what with the new iPhone only showing up for the last few days of it.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
150 billion in sales am I reading this right? Id love my company to have a dissapointing year like apples, just one would be enough ;)

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
Why are Apple earning notices frontpage newsworthy at MacRumors?

The conference depicts how changes to Apple's product line reflects interest in consumers and the tech community, and therefore, how much Apple sells. This in turn can ultimately exemplify possible modifications that are made to the products and give insight into a future roadmap if analyzed correctly.

i.e. Apple Maps, which could potentially be a source of discussion in the conference call.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
The 25th is a Thursday just as its mentioned in Apple's actual release, not a Tuesday as the MR post describes.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Time to see if they bounced back from Q2's earning miss (yes, I know the numbers were phenomenal, I even said so myself on quite a few occasions). Wondering if this will be yet another weak quarter though what with the new iPhone only showing up for the last few days of it.

It could be considering they sold "only" 5 million on the launch weekend because of constrained supplies. However, the market may be starting to price that in already, since the share price has declined since its peak on the launch day.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
The conference depicts how changes to Apple's product line reflects interest in consumers and the tech community, and therefore, how much Apple sells. This in turn can ultimately exemplify possible modifications that are made to the products and give insight into a future roadmap if analyzed correctly.

i.e. Apple Maps, which could potentially be a source of discussion in the conference call.

Sounds like a bit of a stretch! But I accept your explanation nonetheless ; ) Thanks

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Why are Apple earning notices frontpage newsworthy at MacRumors?

"MacRumors - news and rumors you care about"

See top of this webpage. Quarterly earnings is major Apple news, even if it doesn't have to do with a specific product or rumor. Many of us mark our calendars for these events. I myself had the date wrong by one week. So, I appreciate the correction.

Last edited:

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Apple cash hoard count: "Billions and Billions ... and Billions!"

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

I'm sorry, but I'm still mystified about why they have to "bounce back" from earnings that exceeded their own guidance. Just because the analysts' predictions were not met doesn't mean they didn't hit their earnings. Apple gave guidance, and exceeded it. That, in any reasonable logic is not a failure to meet earnings.

Munas

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
It is always good to know if the company you have so much spent on is doing well. However, as an ordinary user I would be more interested to hear about new products, updates and so on. What is the practice, is Apple announcing any new HW/SW products during Financial Results Calls?

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Apple cash hoard count: "Billions and Billions ... and Billions!"

haha

I hope that the dividend check is nice. 5% would be good. It would help make up for the losses over the past few days.

Does anyone remember how much the dividend costs Apple to pay out each quarter? (How many millions or billions) I'm curious as to whether their cash-on-hand will have been dented much.

Mystic Eddy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
It is always good to know if the company you have so much spent on is doing well. However, as an ordinary user I would be more interested to hear about new products, updates and so on. What is the practice, is Apple announcing any new HW/SW products during Financial Results Calls?

They've announced the last two OS X releases would be the day after the call, but never any hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.