Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
The iMac is such a small percentage of that projected $150 billion in sales they probably forget they even make it.

I'm hoping that if these rumors are true about the iPad Mini event being mid-late October, that we will first also see updated Macs too.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
The iMac is such a small percentage of that projected $150 billion in sales they probably forget they even make it.

Even though it's a relatively small percentage of sales, it's coal in the furnace. Don't underestimate the importance of keeping the people married to the ecosystem. Android looks more viable when I don't use iPhoto, iTunes, Garage Band, iMovie, etc...

Demonofelru

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
I'm sorry, but I'm still mystified about why they have to "bounce back" from earnings that exceeded their own guidance. Just because the analysts' predictions were not met doesn't mean they didn't hit their earnings. Apple gave guidance, and exceeded it. That, in any reasonable logic is not a failure to meet earnings.

Their guidance doesn't matter much, they are extremely conservative with their guidance. It's equivalent to someone asking me how much I think I can bench press, I say I think 50 lbs, I go on to bench press 100 lbs. You can look at it that it's great I was able to do double what I said.

Most however would take the fact that I'm a healthy man in his mid 20s that weighs 140 lbs and should be able to bench press his own weight. They might think I was unable to meet expectations and it would be considered a "disappointment".

In the end I'm long the stock and don't see any reason ATM to sell, and even if they miss they have very respectable valuation, P/E is around market average P/E ex cash is even more respectable and P/EG is very cheap as well. For some to say it wasn't a miss though is wrong though at least in my opinion, but that's what makes a market differing opinions or it would be all buyers or all sellers.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
My guess in reactions of most members here, especially the fortunate that have stock

3986128+_0e29a0446d96d138e7f1b06aa63261cf.jpg

shadowtrogan

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
We do not want to hear about investor news right now. We want to know WHEN ARE THE GOING TO START SHIPPING MORE iPHONE 5's!!!

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
We do not want to hear about investor news right now. We want to know WHEN ARE THE GOING TO START SHIPPING MORE iPHONE 5's!!!
Speak for yourself. Some of us are interested in knowing.

For those of you who aren't, how difficult is it to NOT read the news item? When I go to NYTimes, I don't click on articles I'm not interested in and then take the time to comment how uninterested I am in that article. :rolleyes:

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
haha

I hope that the dividend check is nice. 5% would be good. It would help make up for the losses over the past few days.

Does anyone remember how much the dividend costs Apple to pay out each quarter? (How many millions or billions) I'm curious as to whether their cash-on-hand will have been dented much.

It's about $3 billion ($2.65/share/yr) and it doesn't impact their cash hoard at all, the hoard still grows even with the dividend.

-Allen

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Allow me to predict the future....

AAPL will beat their own estimates but disappoint the street's overblown estimates. :rolleyes: The stock price will tumble in the days and possibly weeks after but recover by January. In January, AAPL will beat their own estimates and the street's overblown estimates due to the holiday quarter and the stock price will hit all time record highs again. :rolleyes:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
It is always good to know if the company you have so much spent on is doing well. However, as an ordinary user I would be more interested to hear about new products, updates and so on. What is the practice, is Apple announcing any new HW/SW products during Financial Results Calls?
Apple never announces new products/services during financial earnings conference calls. It's all about the previous quarter.

As a matter of fact, if Apple did so, they might be vulnerable to shareholder lawsuits claiming that the new product announcement dilutes any bad news.

Also, Apple do not have any product announcements the day before an earnings release. I only remember one instance when Apple announced new product the day after an earnings call.

Note that this is not behavior unique to Apple. Many corporations avoid making forward-looking statements concerning products, etc. during earnings calls.

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
I bought 10 APPL stocks a couple months ago and after today am -$23. Should I sell, wait to the stock goes down and buy it all back cheaper in December before the new year? Most of my eggs are in this basket (IRA rollover to Fidelity brokerage account) and I've only used mutual funds in the past, so this stock trading is all new to me. Perhaps I need to only have a couple eggs here and rest in something 'safer'. I should have sold them all when they were $702 huh?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Even though it's a relatively small percentage of sales, it's coal in the furnace. Don't underestimate the importance of keeping the people married to the ecosystem. Android looks more viable when I don't use iPhoto, iTunes, Garage Band, iMovie, etc...

There was a time I would say that a strong Mac line was important to the growth of iDevices, but anymore with OTA updates and cloud services the iDevices are becoming pretty much standalone devices.

If you compare the wild growth of the iDevices to the comparatively slow growth of the Mac line you must acknowledge that the majority of iDevices are being purchased by people who do not own a Mac. I have never seen a breakdown, but the Mac marketshare is much too small to be driving record iDevice sales.

The Mac is still important to Apple, but I really think we are at a point where Apple sees the Mac as a PC era device and the iDevice as the future. What that means is the Mac will see less and less investment and updates whereas most of their focus will continue to shift to iDevices as we have seen over the past few years. Windows PC builders will still offer workhorse PCs, but it is not a real profitable market. Apple will continue it's shift towards catering to the most profitable areas.

Look at the Mac Pro and tell me that Apple still cares a lot about the professional desktop market? They don't. The iMac will probably see one more update if it's lucky and then I predict it will die a very slow death over the course of 2 or 3 years. Moving ahead Apple will continue it's focus on the wildly growing iDevice market and to a lesser extent on it's portable Mac line. Basically Apple is going to let Windows have what's left of the desktop market because even though there are still desktop lovers like myself the profit margin and growth just isn't there anymore. Sad story, but true.

Now bring on the iPad Mini. People are going to go NUTS over it! Mega bucks for Apple!

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I bought 10 APPL stocks a couple months ago and after today am -$23. Should I sell, wait to the stock goes down and buy it all back cheaper in December before the new year? Most of my eggs are in this basket (IRA rollover to Fidelity brokerage account) and I've only used mutual funds in the past, so this stock trading is all new to me. Perhaps I need to only have a couple eggs here and rest in something 'safer'. I should have sold them all when they were $702 huh?
You should stay away from Appell Petroleum.

Also, I advise you to avoid soliciting investment advice here at MacRumors.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
So, I wonder what the retarded ANALysts expect. If they are way out of line again, Apple doesn't stand a chance of meeting expectations.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009

i would just hold off. wouldn't risk selling at this point. i could be wrong though, and the stock goes lower in the next few weeks, but 1 year ahead, apple should still be very profitable. based on apple's growing market (China mobile!), sales, and the ipad mini, the stock should hit $750 by holidays. Android is popular in China, maybe the iphone 5 could get some of that share. there are lots of bears though trying to sink the stock to around $630 with options, but i doubt that will happen.

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
You should stay away from Appell Petroleum.

Also, I advise you to avoid soliciting investment advice here at MacRumors.

Opinions either way are still helpful as I learn (hopefully) how to manage stocks. Thanks for your input

Demonofelru

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
So, I wonder what the retarded ANALysts expect. If they are way out of line again, Apple doesn't stand a chance of meeting expectations.

While I know it's popular to hate on analysts, and I know it sucks having the stock drop because the analysts expected too much, I find in funny that a lot of share holders get upset about what they feel are too lofty expectations.

Then when AAPL misses a quarter (and once again last quarter was a miss) they say that AAPL exceeded their estimates, so it's ok because analysts are just pulling numbers out of their butt. Anyway it's contradictory to say analysts are pulling numbers from their butt when they have been WAY more accurate then AAPLs guidance.

Sorry for the rant I just get sick of people saying stuff like that and makes me feel less safe in my long position since extreme bullishness and complacency a lot of times signals a coming downtrend.

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
i would just hold off. wouldn't risk selling at this point. i could be wrong though, and the stock goes lower in the next few weeks, but 1 year ahead, apple should still be very profitable. based on apple's growing market (China mobile!), sales, and the ipad mini, the stock should hit $750 by holidays. Android is popular in China, maybe the iphone 5 could get some of that share. there are lots of bears though trying to sink the stock to around $630 with options, but i doubt that will happen.

Had I sold them all when the i5 was released I'd be +$450, then I could have bought them all back today plus more than half of an eleventh one, right? That's the kind of micromanaging I ought to be doing I'd guess.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Had I sold them all when the i5 was released I'd be +$450, then I could have bought them all back today plus more than half of an eleventh one, right? That's the kind of micromanaging I ought to be doing I'd guess.

If you're going to day trade, you might as well go to Vegas.

Apple is a sound company. Think long term, and you'll have a nice steady stream of earnings.

bencjedi

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2010
If you're going to day trade, you might as well go to Vegas.

Apple is a sound company. Think long term, and you'll have a nice steady stream of earnings.

You're right! Never been to Vegas.. why should I go now, right? Thanks!

Demonofelru

macrumors member
May 5, 2011

Yes but they could have reported 10 million ip5's sold in first weekend and it could have jumped to $750. It's usually good not to get obsessed with weekly/daily movements. In general at least for me I check once a week or so if there was a huge movement to the up or downside I try to figure out why. If the fundamental picture hasn't changed I will usually not change my position.

As others have said as well usually not good to ask for investment advice on internet forums, longs will say buy, shorts will say sell, they are looking out for themselves not you.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Hopefully Tim and Peter get asked wtf is going on with their iMac lineup which hasn't been updated in 517 days.

This ^^^

----------

Sorry, I don't care about Apple sending me iPhone 5s, especially not iPHONE 5's. The only reason I care about the iPhone 5 is because I am betting that it will be disappointing to investors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.