Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Austintylerl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Anyone bend their iPhone 5? Some how my phone bent by approx 10 degrees starting at the volume buttons. There is a crack above the volume down button in the aluminum. This phone bent while in my front pocket, the phone was never dropped, banged, sat on etc. anyone else have such luck?
There's another thread or two about a bent phone on delivery but I'm not concerned with returning it, it's still perfectly functional, besides all stores are out of stock. I want to see if I'm the only one
Thanks

I'd post a pic but can't seem to be able to from iPad

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Anyone bend their iPhone 5? Some how my phone bent by approx 10 degrees starting at the volume buttons. There is a crack above the volume down button in the aluminum. This phone bent while in my front pocket, the phone was never dropped, banged, sat on etc. anyone else have such luck?

Well this is an unsettling post. After seeing the first bent iPhone 5 it did occur to me that it is a physically longer design made of a softer metal, so... yeah...

I hope this isn't too common. I'd like to see a picture.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
this is the first thing i thought about the first time i held the phone. how easily it must be to bend.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
They need to put a disclaimer on the box saying that users can only wear loose fit pants...

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Breast pocket FTW. Also it can't hurt to put it in a case. I use a Case-Mate, it adds protection and further rigidity. Looks nice too.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Maybe you sit on seats made of soft puffy clouds all day, but I would never put any phone in my back pocket if I intended to sit down.

I'd like to know what you were doing during the time the phone was in your front pocket. It might give a little explanation as to why it got bent. I've been carrying mine in my front pocket with no case since launch day and haven't had any issues.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
No??

Cell-Phone-Lanyard-38364.jpg

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
In that one though, the phone came bent. This one sounds like it was bent just being in the pocket of the user during their daily activities.

richmds

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
They need to put a disclaimer on the box saying that users can only wear loose fit pants...

We cannot guarantee the phone will retain its original shape if you are obese wearing tight fitted pants.

Austintylerl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Yeah thanks I'm not not tubby, pretty skinny. When it happened I was wearing loose fitting shorts. The only thing I can think of is the phone was forced against my leg within the confines of the pocket when sitting down but I would think that much force would be noticed by myself. The picture doesn't look too bad, I have tried to bend it back as much as I could but notice the stress fracture above the volume button.
So if this can happen without a drop, or other careless use, I guess I'll wait to replace it until I find a bullet proof and thin case. Maybe I'll get a belt clip, ha. Surprised I'm the only one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 6,892

Austintylerl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
... Also it was in my FRONT pocket. My only Activity was getting in and out of a bar top type of seat, only my patio. No leaning against things, I didn't get nudged by a fat man, didn't kick the table etc.

----------

Did the image upload?

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
I can't help myself... that's freaking hilarious. :)

There's even a crack above the button.

Sometimes people amaze me, this is one of those times.

No bent iPhone 5 here. But thanks for the picture, that should be put up on Reddit or something, maybe even Fark. I'd love to see the reactions

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Yeah thanks I'm not not tubby, pretty skinny. When it happened I was wearing loose fitting shorts. The only thing I can think of is the phone was forced against my leg within the confines of the pocket when sitting down but I would think that much force would be noticed by myself. The picture doesn't look too bad, I have tried to bend it back as much as I could but notice the stress fracture above the volume button.
So if this can happen without a drop, or other careless use, I guess I'll wait to replace it until I find a bullet proof and thin case. Maybe I'll get a belt clip, ha. Surprised I'm the only one

There's your problem, Bones.. Put some meat on those legs and you won't be wrapping your phone around those twigs like a Caprice Wagon around a light pole... Okay that's a tad much. :) seriously though, I'm sorry that this happened.. I think your assessment that the phone probably was pressed hard against your leg from the fabric going taut as you sat is correct.. I just pushed a similar sized object into my leg and I was able to push very hard without it really feeling like anything at all. I hope you get it replaced without issue and hope its as rare as it (so far) seems to be.

Austintylerl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I can't help myself... that's freaking hilarious. :)

There's even a crack above the button.

Sometimes people amaze me, this is one of those times.

No bent iPhone 5 here. But thanks for the picture, that should be put up on Reddit or something, maybe even Fark. I'd love to see the reactions

I'm not sure if it's hilarious, pretty annoying actually. Just hoping to see if it was a common problem. How is it I amaze you?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That is nuts! Man I subject mine to more stress in my pants on a daily basis, getting in and out of my car several times a day, sitting and fidgeting in my seat during class. I try to make sure I never lean against anything, but I'm sure it happens lightly on occasions, but I haven't seen anything like this yet. I will definitely be looking out for it though. I wonder if that would be returnable/exchangeable? I don't know how you would prove to them it happened under normal operating/storage conditions though.

rodrighs75

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Another bent phone 5

I was showing my Iphone to my boss and took it out of the case that it has been in since 9/21 and he asked why my phone was bent. I just went to the Apple store only to be told that this is damage to the phone and they could replace it for $200. I tried to plead my case that the phone like every other Iphone is stored in my front pocket, set on my desk, or counter. He happily explained that my phone is now out of warranty and it is considered damaged. I can rant about any other phone being able to placed in my front pocket without being bent but obviously apple has dropped the ball on this one and really does not seem to care if there is a design flaw. I will try another apple store to see if I get a different result but if not, I guess I will be checking out other phones that do not bend. Hopefully this is not a isolated issue and apple is held accountable for there design flaw (soft medal, smaller glass, which I think allows the phone to bend).

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
It' bends for the same reason it dents so easily. Low grade 6061 aluminum. Very easy to machine and light.

----------

I was showing my Iphone to my boss and took it out of the case that it has been in since 9/21 and he asked why my phone was bent. I just went to the Apple store only to be told that this is damage to the phone and they could replace it for $200. I tried to plead my case that the phone like every other Iphone is stored in my front pocket, set on my desk, or counter. He happily explained that my phone is now out of warranty and it is considered damaged. I can rant about any other phone being able to placed in my front pocket without being bent but obviously apple has dropped the ball on this one and really does not seem to care if there is a design flaw. I will try another apple store to see if I get a different result but if not, I guess I will be checking out other phones that do not bend. Hopefully this is not a isolated issue and apple is held accountable for there design flaw (soft medal, smaller glass, which I think allows the phone to bend).

Wait until it developes another issue and have it swapped via mail with applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.