Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
As someone who has worked in tech support, I have to say that there is almost nothing a user could say to me that would convince me their phone is using LTE when connected to wifi. It would get filed under "user error".

Well...looks like your response would be filed under a tech support person that didn't know ****.

Jnava420

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
fix

The ota update seemed to fix my phone using data while on wifi, only using a kb here and there which im fine with, thank goodness for this fix it was really becoming a bother having to turn off and on cellular data, I hope this worked for all of you as well, now to call Verizon and get these charges taken care of and hopefully a few extra GB to get through the rest of the month, I have a genius appt on Wednesday morning still gonna go in my screen flickers sometimes when typing and entering phone numbers, hopefully i can get a scuffgate free replacement with no other issues.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
So no solution yet for AT&T users?

Yeah, phunnie how AT&T is keeping mum on the subject.
I know this has been going on for quite a while now and not just with the iP5.
This phantom data useage has happened to me several times in the past.

BoiseBrewer

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Mine seems to be a wifi connection issue

I'm also having this problem, so I turned off the LTE. What I found was that every time my phone is in sleep mode, it stops receiving data over wifi. In addition to downloading data over LTE instead of wifi when LTE is on, the phone shuts off the wifi when it's sleeping. I don't get any email or other notifications (not even push) when the phone is asleep and LTE off.

Jonnyoneder

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Seriously?!?!

Obviously this is a problem many people are having due to the amount of comments in this thread. I find it pretty funny that the above comment stated they've worked in tech support and would never believe someone regarding LTE overriding someones WIFI. It goes along with another previous post. We know whats supposed to happen. WIFI should trump any carrier network, but thats not whats happening. We need the best fix possible. I'm surprised their isn't a better answer yet than simply turn off your LTE!

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Annectodally: I am finding that I've "used" 300-600kb each morning (while on wifi overnight).
Last night two separate people sent me iMessages with photos.
This morning I woke up to find I'd used several MB while on wifi, plugged in, over night. I'm guessing because of the imessages.

And, as I've mentioned previously, updating apps while plugged in on wifi, causes my usage to tick up several hundred KB.

oh, btw, I only got LTE this week. This has all been happening on 3G.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
My sister has been dealing with this BS since day 1 with Virgin in Canada. At least you guys down in the US get priority carrier updates I would imagine just because of the user base being so big. Going to Apple to hopefully just get a new phone as she also has had several odd moments of the screen being unable to turn on for 15?30? seconds.

dpoon001

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Data Overages

just wanted to share my story of data overages on my new iPhone 5 that I have had for about 3 weeks. After having a Blackberry for about 15 years or so I decided to try an iPhone. About a week into my first billing cycle I noticed that I had apparently used about 500 mb of data (my plan has 1G a month), which was quite a surprise since my normal activity is less than 100 mb a month. I started tracking the usage on my account on Bell's webpage, and made the following observations:

A significant amount of cellular data was used when I was on wifi at home.
Large amounts of data were used in the mid-afternoon when the phone was on my desk not being used.
Data was heavily used in the early hours of the morning when I was getting ready for work and the phone was not in used.

I also found it interesting that the cellular usage counter on the iPhone showed that I had used significantly less data than I was being 'charged' with. I also downloaded a data usage app, which also indicated significantly lower data usage.

I turned off the usual - locations, notifications, apps, etc. without success. I performed a DFU (device firmware upgrade), also without success.

I contacted my carrier, Bell, to inform them of this issue. I spoke with Customer Service and Technical Support several times, and they all stated that it was an issue with IOS 6.

I went to the Apple Store and spoke with the Genius rep, who advised that there was no problem with IOS 6. He performed a diagnostic on the device, and advised that there were no hardware issues. I suggested a DFU, which I had already performed. Lastly, he suggested I go back to Bell as it must be a problem with the carrier.

Ironically, when I was at the Apple Store I ran into a friend who was also having the same problem with his Rogers 4S after updating to IOS 6. As well, I was sharing my tale of woe with my neighbor, who has also has a Bell iPhone and is experiencing the same issue.

So, it appears that no one is being accountable for this issue. I find it interesting that Bell, Telus and Rogers have stated that they have not received any customer complaints regarding this issue. Apple does not appear to recognize the problem, and is not apparently working on a patch (unless I have missed some information).

Anyhow, I would be interested in hearing from others with this issue and if you managed to resolve or fix it in some way.

oldskoolsoldier

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Did this issue ever get figured out?

I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a 5s. In the one day that I have had this phone, I have used almost a quarter of my monthly data limit! In the past day I have only left my house to go to work, and I hardly used my phone at work (no more than I usually do). I usually only use one quarter of my limit in one month, not one day! I noticed that while I was at home, it used a significant portion of cellular data. Why would it do that? When I had the iPhone 4 on a 3G network I could use my home wifi all day and it made no impact on my cellular data usage. I just turned off the LTE and I will test to see if this is the problem. I feel tricked by Apple and by Verizon into trying to get more money out of me by having my phone use cellular data when I'm not expecting it.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I noticed this because i was throttled this past week. I still have 2 weeks left in my cycle and have already racked up 3.5GB's used?!?! I've never gone over 3.5GB in a month since having the iPhone. I'm grandfathered into their unlimited data on ATT. I did notice i should have been throttled at 5GB and not 3GB which got it fixed but WTF?!?!

i turned off backgroup app refresh and see if that can be done. also turned off automatic downloads in iTunes & App store. not sure what else i can turn off to stop this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.