Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
So DisplayMate was using the old standard?

I tell ya. I have 20/20 but the size is the only difference I notice. The colors are more saturated on the S3 when you have them set that way. It's a shame you can't do much with an iPhone except brightness.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I trust DisplayMate, and they say the iPhone 5 has the best display. OLED displays have blue whites, over saturated colors, and the GS3 has a outdated, cheap Pentile arrangement.

Nice try, though.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Vinita Jakhanwal? Who?

Lets try someone with some notable credibility for publicly accessible critical analysis of consumer electronics and computers...

Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6334/iphone-5-screen-performance

I do know that if TV and PC Monitor vendors were able to provide displays that looked like this out of the box, professional calibrators would lose a good amount of business. The new panel in the iPhone 5 is simply remarkable in quality and if it were a PC monitor, I'd give it a Gold Award on the basis of its performance.

----------

I tell ya. I have 20/20 but the size is the only difference I notice. The colors are more saturated on the S3 when you have them set that way. It's a shame you can't do much with an iPhone except brightness.

Read...

Another study done by DisplayMate, which conducts testing for manufacturers, found that the iPhone 5's display was "state-of-the-art accurate," and only fell short to the new iPad in terms of accuracy and contrast.

DisplayMate president Raymond Soneira blasted the study, arguing that the color gamut test IHS conducted was based off of an old standard that has led to incorrect conclusions.

Jakhanwah declined to comment on the new standard or Soneira's comments.

----------

Nice try, though.

I wouldn't even call that a try

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I trust DisplayMate, and they say the iPhone 5 has the best display. OLED displays have blue whites, over saturated colors, and the GS3 has a outdated, cheap Pentile arrangement.

Nice try, though.

Why though? And I'm being serious when I ask. I'm assuming we are all talking about this article.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

Yet I can't find where they adjusted the screen of the S3 to "non display" mode. If its anything like a Samsung TV the dynamic mode is for the stores display and standard is near perfectly calibrated....I don't have an S3 so I can't check...

gs3-screenmode.jpg

So how can you "trust" a screen calibration site that totally disregards any sort of calibration method before comparison?

I don't know maybe I'm just missing something but if not, DisplayMate comparison is a half assed job and should be disregarded like it would be if it was any other screen comparison...

You guys disagree?

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Well i have a comparison ill add. Today me and a co-worker were messing with our panoramic features on our phones. He has a 4S though, not a iP5 but has iOS 6 on it. Of course i have the GS3. I like how his panoramic works. Like it a lot actually as mine while panning takes a snap of the section and combines it.

End result is his came out darker while mine were much brighter and teh colors were nicer. However while panning a wide area,...almost a complete 360, mine seemed to have sort of a Apple maps look to it in some areas.

This isnt really a screen comparison because the shot was totally by how the camera performed. Anyways this whole display banter is really for naught. Its all in the eye of the beholder. Some like the GS3 screen, some like the iP5 better. Blacks look great on the GS3, not as well on the iP5 and imo the colors are fine on the GS3, but not to others.

Who cares really as long as you like how yours looks. My ONLY gripe about the GS3 screen is it isnt easy to see at all in sunlight but thats low on my list of needs.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I'm ready for a device with a non-amoled screen. Why? Not because of colors (I think Amoled looks great) but because I want to be able to see my screen while in the sun.

And I don't mean in super direct sunlight. I'm just talking about being outdoors.

I'm ready for an LG Nexus.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Why though? And I'm being serious when I ask. I'm assuming we are all talking about this article.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

Yet I can't find where they adjusted the screen of the S3 to "non display" mode. If its anything like a Samsung TV the dynamic mode is for the stores display and standard is near perfectly calibrated....I don't have an S3 so I can't check...

So how can you "trust" a screen calibration site that totally disregards any sort of calibration method before comparison?

I don't know maybe I'm just missing something but if not, DisplayMate comparison is a half assed job and should be disregarded like it would be if it was any other screen comparison...

You guys disagree?

This seems like a very expert, very extensive analysis. I'm sure they didn't overlook such an important piece of information.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Personally, I'm ready for a device with a non-amoled screen. Why? Not because of colors (I think Amoled looks great) but because I want to be able to see my screen while in the sun.

And I don't mean in super direct sunlight. I'm just talking about being outdoors.

I'm ready for an LG Nexus.

The galaxy nexus screen is much brighter than the s3. With root you can actually increase the max brightness on the s3 as well. You can do this on the nexus too but its not really necessary.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The galaxy nexus screen is much brighter than the s3. With root you can actually increase the max brightness on the s3 as well. You can do this on the nexus too but its not really necessary.

I own a Nexus, and yes, blasting the brightness helps in the sun, but I wish it wasn't a necessary step. It's not a deal breaker or anything, but I'm ready for something non-Amoled.

----------

Does the Note II fare better in sunlight? Is Samsung actively trying to remedy that in their AMOLEDs?

oBMTo

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2010

Nice try, though.

You trust DisplayMate? Why exactly? Do you know who they are? Were they even relevant before posting that bogus comparison?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I own a Nexus, and yes, blasting the brightness helps in the sun, but I wish it wasn't a necessary step. It's not a deal breaker or anything, but I'm ready for something non-Amoled.

----------

Does the Note II fare better in sunlight? Is Samsung actively trying to remedy that in their AMOLEDs?

LCD screens really don't fair much better at the same brightness. Using inverted apps with white text on black background helps a ton though. Samsung has content adpative brightness enabled on amoled where it lowers the brightness based on how much white is on the screen. You can disable this which will make visibility of black on white much better.

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
You trust DisplayMate? Why exactly? Do you know who they are? Were they even relevant before posting that bogus comparison?

Yes they were very relevant, I've actually read many of their comparisons. They are professional and seem very deft at what they do.

Go look them up.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yes they were very relevant, I've actually read many of their comparisons. They are professional and seem very deft at what they do.

Go look them up.

As opposed to Vinita Jakhanwal, who has a stake in the AMOLED industry...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't care about none of this. My own 2 eyes tell me what's good or not. Both screens are damn good.

The iP5 has a higher brightness and even though it technically has more saturation vs the 4S, it still seems to have that dryness about it. I actually like the iP5 screen more for looking at pics. Seems to have a more accurate color when view pics.

The GS3 has very noticeable saturation vs the iP5 and especially vs the 4S and below. The colors are deep and rich. Blacks and reds standout vs the iP5. Pics look good on the GS3 but looks more natural on the iP5. I do enjoy watching vids/movies on the GS3 better. Video just looks so much better on the GS3 than on the iP5. It's probably the equivalent of watching a movie on a glossy vs matte screen. IP5 has that matte feel to it, which IMO is better for viewing pics and worst for watching vids. I compared the whites on both devices and don't see any difference besides the higher brightness level on the iP5. I haven't had any sunlight issues on my GS3, but maybe that's because I keep my screen on full brightness with both "auto brightness" and "auto adjust screen tone" turned off.

On both phones, the display of the OS itself looks good. Viewing the OS, pics and vids are good on both phones.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is how bias I see DisplayMate. They will constantly mention how the status bar on an Android tablet "uses up screen space" effectively making it smaller. They don't turn it to portrait and remeasure it, or view an imagine (which is full screen). Some how they test colors on images and never notice that the status bar disappears?

But it gets better!! They state,

"However, they are generally considered too narrow to be very useful in Portrait mode."

However the new iPhone is perfect for portrait mode right? *yawn*

I think some of you guys have better arguments then these "professionals".

Last edited by a moderator:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The iPhone 5 finds yet another way to come up short... Contrary to what some on this site might say, the iPhone 5's display is inferior to that of the Galaxy S3.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57524291-37/color-me-prettier-galaxy-s3-display-outdoes-iphone-5s/

The S3 is deliberately oversaturated. The colors on the 5 are more accurate. AnandTech did a very detailed test of the 5 and found it to be almost perfect sRGB (the tester doesn't own an S3 but said he'd be happy to test it).

In general, people "prefer" the look oversaturated screens (that's why notebook screens went glossy), but the screen on the 5 will show photographs more accurately than the S3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.