Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Ok, so soon I will be getting an external hard drive for my Macbook Pro and I was wondering how I would be able to delete all my files, reinstall the OS, and then add some files from my external hard drive back onto my Mac.
NOTE: 1 reason why i'm doing this is to relieve my paranoia that something is wrong with my MBP :)

Thanks

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, so soon I will be getting an external hard drive for my Macbook Pro and I was wondering how I would be able to delete all my files, reinstall the OS, and then add some files from my external hard drive back onto my Mac.
NOTE: 1 reason why i'm doing this is to relieve my paranoia that something is wrong with my MBP :)

Thanks

Clone your drive using CCC and then install ML. Bring back the files you want when done installing.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Clone your drive using CCC and then install ML. Bring back the files you want when done installing.

Is CCC the best for transferring files to external hard drives? Also how would I reinstall the OS while deleting everything at the same time?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Is CCC the best for transferring files to external hard drives? Also how would I reinstall the OS while deleting everything at the same time?

That's a matter of opinion. Most use CCC or SuperDuper to clone a drive. I use CCC.

I've never done a clean install in ML. I would boot into recovery mode by holding command R down while rebooting. Once in recovery mode use Disk Utility to erase hard drive then re-install ML. Like I said I've never done it with ML so I am not sure. The concept should work though.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Ok, so go to disk utility and delete hard drive. Then reinstall OS.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
That's a matter of opinion. Most use CCC or SuperDuper to clone a drive. I use CCC.

I've never done a clean install in ML. I would boot into recovery mode by holding command R down while rebooting. Once in recovery mode use Disk Utility to erase hard drive then re-install ML. Like I said I've never done it with ML so I am not sure. The concept should work though.

Wait, isn't time machine a backup application?

avbeilby

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, I've done a clean install of ML to my Mac, using an external hard drive to save the installer during the whole process. This external hard drive also had all of my files/pictures/movies etc saved to it to back up my Mac.

Once I had done the clean install I went back into the external hard drive, to copy my files back over, but all of my files etc were gone. Please tell me that I haven't deleted everything, including my back up..?

When I was erasing, it prompted me to tell me that it would only be my Mac HD that would be erased, not my external hard drive as well.
Right??

Please help!! :(

Thanks.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hey, I've done a clean install of ML to my Mac, using an external hard drive to save the installer during the whole process. This external hard drive also had all of my files/pictures/movies etc saved to it to back up my Mac.

Once I had done the clean install I went back into the external hard drive, to copy my files back over, but all of my files etc were gone. Please tell me that I haven't deleted everything, including my back up..?

When I was erasing, it prompted me to tell me that it would only be my Mac HD that would be erased, not my external hard drive as well.
Right??

Please help!! :(

Thanks.

It should not have been erased. Only the Mac HD should have been, provided you did not select anything else and erase that.
If your external hard drive is now wiped I suspect operator error, but there could be other explanations.

avbeilby

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Awesome, so is there a way of getting these files back, I can't see them. So does that mean its formatted wrong or something? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.