Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blugel

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Lenntek Dock
I guess that's my only option for now... Maybe I'll design my own.

if you order a Lenntek, please take some pictures when you receive it...so far, its the only one that isn't completely overkill in price and has a pocket for the phone to rest in...

rbdyh

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
i'm a bit confused on the Braeburn dock...

The images for the black dock show the phone being supported by the notched out slot it sits in, however, the aluminum one shows no slot and the phone sits on the lightning connector only stickng out of the flat top surface...

Does anyone have the black one? Can you confirm it looks as the picture suggests? I have a black phone, so I'm looking for a black dock.

Last edited:

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
i'm a bit confused on the Braeburn dock...

The images for the black dock show the phone being support by the notched out slot it sits in, however, the aluminum one shows no slot and the phone sits on the lightning connector only stickng out of the flat top surface...

Does anyone have the black one? Can you confirm it looks as the picture suggests? I have a black phone, so I'm looking for a black dock.

I believe the one with the slot is for the iPhone 4/ 4s. But i may be wrong.

ShiTzuism

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
California
I am actually very tempted to just make my own and feed a cable through it until they come out with something cheaper! I do like this new cable as it is much more secure feeling than the previous, it just stinks when I think about how many other cables I have. At least I can use the plug part for them still ;)

My buddys a carpenter so we tried this with a piece of wood after seeing another guy from the forum do it. It works but looks ridiculous with my sleek new phone:rolleyes: Just ordered the Braeburn 5 dock. Stoked to how she looks! I think its shipping this week.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I was just holding my phone by the dock connector just now... I actually feels very stable... I'm reconsidering not getting the lenntek dock

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I was just holding my phone by the dock connector just now... I actually feels very stable... I'm reconsidering not getting the lenntek dock

I don't know, I just do not trust myself in an exhausted/half-asleep/inebriated state to not put too much force against the phone and end up having a bad night lol.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I don't know, I just do not trust myself in an exhausted/half-asleep/inebriated state to not put too much force against the phone and end up having a bad night lol.

Yep, I keep replaying that scenario in my head:rolleyes:

Johnnyiphone5

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
After visiting the apple store, I am confident the lightning connector as a dock will be fine.

Walk into the apple store and first, you will see hundreds of iPhone 5s being docked with nothing but the lightning connector and acrylic. No support plate, no back plate, nothing but connector and phone. (Correction there is a tiny acrylic guide plate to help customers align)

Second you will see tons of kids and the like playing and docking them. I think we should give apple more credit.

Braeburn, made2dock, lenntek, and others should be fine. Post those pics once you get them. Mine should be here this weekend. From what I read they are here in SoCal so I have my fingers crossed. I have been looking for a dock once I heard about the i5 release rumors. Once I saw the new connection, I knew there would be a lot of new products out there.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
i found this on kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1787686855/foundation-dock-the-new-home-for-your-iphone

with regard to the audio out known from the iphone 4 dock, the creator says:

i find this a quite interesting claim regarding the abilities of lightning and future accessories... but the "dock" is quite ugly imho.

i also found this on kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hop/elevation-dock-the-best-dock-for-iphone
it looks very nice but as far as i understand you have to wire the lightning cable into the dock.

I'd love a dock that looks like the base of that thing, without the wacky bendy arm.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
I'd love a dock that looks like the base of that thing, without the wacky bendy arm.

my thought. i like the extra usb ports and the audio out. i'm still intrigued by the creators statement about the digital audio out of the lightning connector. does somebody have more information about this? thanks in advance.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I believe the one with the slot is for the iPhone 4/ 4s. But i may be wrong.

You are right. Says on their site "PLEASE NOTE - Braeburn for iPhone 4/4S model shown".

I ended up ordering 2 black ones (one for night table, one for work desk). I like the fact I get to use the Apple cables, so I don't have to worry about it causing any damage to the phone. I will trust that it will support the phone appropriately.

Dee1226

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Not quite as cheap as $1.27 but I took a blackberry 9790 sync pod, took all the existing wiring out and replaced it with my lightning cable result below. Thank blackberry:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 220

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Not quite as cheap as $1.27 but I took a blackberry 9790 sync pod, took all the existing wiring out and replaced it with my lightning cable result below. Thank blackberry:)

You gave me a great idea for this custom one I'm working on. Rather than cutting a precise slot out, I can cut out for a dock adapter that somewhat fits the iPhone 5 and drop that in instead.

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
http://made2dock.myshopify.com/products/coming-soon-dock-in-case-iphone5

Not available yet, but I think I'll be ordering one of these.

I obviously cannot speak to the iPhone 5 dock which hasn't been released yet, however; I have three of their docks for my IP4/4S and they are perfect. Easy to dock/undock, nice finish, and great customer support. One stopped working for some reason and they sent me another for free. (And no, I don't work for them or anything, just enjoy their stuff).

janita

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
I obviously cannot speak to the iPhone 5 dock which hasn't been released yet, however; I have three of their docks for my IP4/4S and they are perfect. Easy to dock/undock, nice finish, and great customer support. One stopped working for some reason and they sent me another for free. (And no, I don't work for them or anything, just enjoy their stuff).

I agree about the quality of those docks. I had one at work, one at home and another at my mother's house and they all worked perfectly. I hated putting them away when I sold my iPhone 4 and got the iPhone 5. Given my experience with those docks I plan on waiting (impatiently I admit) for the new version to come out.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
You are right. Says on their site "PLEASE NOTE - Braeburn for iPhone 4/4S model shown".

I ended up ordering 2 black ones (one for night table, one for work desk). I like the fact I get to use the Apple cables, so I don't have to worry about it causing any damage to the phone. I will trust that it will support the phone appropriately.

Please review with pics when you get them. :)

ShiTzuism

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
California
I agree about the quality of those docks. I had one at work, one at home and another at my mother's house and they all worked perfectly. I hated putting them away when I sold my iPhone 4 and got the iPhone 5. Given my experience with those docks I plan on waiting (impatiently I admit) for the new version to come out.

Checked out their site. Not sure if Im digging the circle design, but the finish looks nice.Also, anything anodized Ive ever owned (like my new iphone) seems to scratch very easily, especially black. Are these the only finishes they offer?

----------

Please review with pics when you get them. :)

Ditto.Lets see some pics of the Braeburn when it comes in. Im waiting on mine as well.Same goes for Lenntek

janita

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Checked out their site. Not sure if Im digging the circle design, but the finish looks nice.Also, anything anodized Ive ever owned (like my new iphone) seems to scratch very easily, especially black. Are these the only finishes they offer?

----------

Those are the only two finishes. The ones I had were black. I never had a problem with them getting scratched, but then they pretty much stayed in one place. I don't think they would have scratched easily. Another thing I liked about them was how heavy and solid they were - very stable and not something you could accidentally bump into and send flying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.