Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
i went to itunes and i went to the "purchased" button under quick links, it re-downloaded all the apps ive ever had but now it seems like i have to manually click/drag each app onto the iphone 5 homesreen

on my old iphone 4s i had the apps all organized into separate folders. i thought that with the backup id be able to easily have all these apps stored and organized just like how i had it on my old phone but this is not the case its very frustrating

what did i do wrong or what am i doing wrong?

pls help thanks

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
i went to itunes and i went to the "purchased" button under quick links, it re-downloaded all the apps ive ever had but now it seems like i have to manually click/drag each app onto the iphone 5 homesreen

on my old iphone 4s i had the apps all organized into separate folders. i thought that with the backup id be able to easily have all these apps stored and organized just like how i had it on my old phone but this is not the case its very frustrating

what did i do wrong or what am i doing wrong?

pls help thanks
Unfortunately when you do a restore, all your apps load without the folders you had them organized in. You have to rebuild the folders. You have to check the boxes of the apps you want. You don't have to drag them.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Unfortunately when you do a restore, all your apps load without the folders you had them organized in. You have to rebuild the folders.

why is it that some of the custom folders are still there? custom folders that contained "default" apps like imessage or weather or apps are there, but the folders that contained apps are not there

that doesnt even make sense..

also why is all the memory stored on my iphone (seen at the bottom of itunes) in yellow and categorized as "other" ? on my old phone it broke it down into different categories like photos, music, etc. now its just one big yellow mass that says "other"

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
why is it that some of the custom folders are still there? custom folders that contained "default" apps like imessage or weather or apps are there, but the folders that contained apps are not there

I guess if the native apps were in a folder, the folders stayed. Any others were wiped. iTunes has to be the most effed up program ever. It is so confusing. I don't think I'll ever figure it out completely.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

This happened to me before. It's because when you did the initial restore the only apps available were the default apps, that's why those apps are in there folders, but all the apps weren't loaded onto the phone when you did the restore. Try the restore again, but this time let it load all the apps and don't interrupt it.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
This happened to me before. It's because when you did the initial restore the only apps available were the default apps, that's why those apps are in there folders, but all the apps weren't loaded onto the phone when you did the restore. Try the restore again, but this time let it load all the apps and don't interrupt it.

when i did the initial restore it didnt even back up the old apps i had to google for an answer and google told me to go to the itunes quick links and re-download all my past apps , by that time the phone had already finished backing up.

this is so confusing

if i want to start all over again what exactly should i do? should i just right click the phone and ask it to "Restore from back up" or should i go into settings and erase all the data?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
when i did the initial restore it didnt even back up the old apps i had to google for an answer and google told me to go to the itunes quick links and re-download all my past apps , by that time the phone had already finished backing up.

this is so confusing

if i want to start all over again what exactly should i do? should i just right click the phone and ask it to "Restore from back up" or should i go into settings and erase all the data?

If its doing a restore in iTunes, make sure you have all the apps downloaded into your apps section in iTunes. Then do a restore in iTunes. When prompted choose the last back-up that has your folders and continue the restore. At that time it should install all your apps back into their original folders.

mainboard

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
i backed up my i4 using itunes - then i restore with my i5.

all the folders were neatly arranged as per the last i4 backup.

some apps - i had to redownload again from my i5.

other than that - it was a breeze.

even my ringtone setting and my alarm clock time and tone was all transfered from i4 to i5.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009

even my ringtone setting and my alarm clock time and tone was all transfered from i4 to i5.

can you tell me how you did this?

it definitely has not been "a breeze" for me ..

here is what i did

TRY #1:

1. backed up iphone 4s
2. restored i phone 5

didnt get a single app other than the default ones

TRY #2

1.transferred purchased apps from iphone 4s to itunes
2. backed up iphone 4s
2. restored iphone 5

midway through the restore the iphone 5 crashed and something weird happened. it wouldnt turn on despite it being charged at 100% finally it turned back on after a few hours but more than half of the back up contents were missing. so i had to then erase all data and settings on iphone 5 and then restore to factory settings .

Try #3

1- i "synched" my iphone 4s to itunes
2- i transferred all purchased apps from iphone 4s to itunes
3- i backed up the iphone 4s

4- i plugged in my iphone 5- i restored from back up

If its doing a restore in iTunes, make sure you have all the apps downloaded into your apps section in iTunes. Then do a restore in iTunes. When prompted choose the last back-up that has your folders and continue the restore. At that time it should install all your apps back into their original folders.

all my apps are downloaded into the apps section on itunes. i restored from back up. it did not install any of my apps back into their original photos. i dont know what is going on.

right now my photos are propagating and restoring...however
none of my apps are in my iphone 5. not a singe one. the only ones thatare there are the default apps and

. in total ive spent over 4 hours doing this its very frustrating.

Last edited:

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009

was both of your phones ios 6?

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Did you use icloud? As when you restore it should come back exactly as you had before. All your apps, settings, saves, pictures and folders you have organized in.

It has to re-download all the apps so you need to stay on wifi as it does it (cant be done over the cellular network) but you can use it while it does that.

Things are a little messier when using iTunes as you have to enable app syncing, leave it connected etc.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Did you use icloud? As when you restore it should come back exactly as you had before. All your apps, settings, saves, pictures and folders you have organized in.

It has to re-download all the apps so you need to stay on wifi as it does it (cant be done over the cellular network) but you can use it while it does that.

Things are a little messier when using iTunes as you have to enable app syncing, leave it connected etc.

i used iTunes. how do i "enable app syncing "

i found a method where you can maintain organizational folders in itunes by

1. backing up ur original phone
2. transferring purchases to itunes
3. restoring new phone from old back up
4. syncing all recently trasnferred apps
5. restore new phone again from old back up for a second time

this does not seem like the right way to be doing this
why cant i just simply back up. restore from back up and have all my folders and apps the way they are?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I guess if the native apps were in a folder, the folders stayed. Any others were wiped. iTunes has to be the most effed up program ever. It is so confusing. I don't think I'll ever figure it out completely.

Clearly, since that's not the way it works, if you restore from a backup it will put your apps back in the same position.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Clearly, since that's not the way it works, if you restore from a backup it will put your apps back in the same position.

I restored from back up and it did not put my apps in same position as a matter of fact it didnt put my apps back at all

bgjbgj88

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
He's right

Mercenary is right.

I tried to restore a new IPad 2 with iTunes and it put apps all over the place.

I called up Apple and they had me restore with iCloud.

Everything was put back perfectly.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I restored from back up and it did not put my apps in same position as a matter of fact it didnt put my apps back at all

I think the consensus is that the most reliable way to transfer everything from your iPhone 4S to your iPhone 5 is to backup your iPhone 4S to iCloud, then restore your iPhone 5 from the iCloud backup.

If you don't know how to do that, let us know.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I think the consensus is that the most reliable way to transfer everything from your iPhone 4S to your iPhone 5 is to backup your iPhone 4S to iCloud, then restore your iPhone 5 from the iCloud backup.

If you don't know how to do that, let us know.

how secure is backing up ur personal info to icloud?
and doesnt icloud cost money?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
To get it perfect I had to run two restoration processes, one immediately after the other.

I restored from backup and in the first process an older initial iPhone 4 installation backup was used; no choice of backup set was offered. Obviously all items weren't there. Next, I right-clicked on the drop arrow next to the device name in iTunes and chose Restore from Backup again and was then allowed to choose the backup set that I'd run the nite before my iPhone 5 arrived. The result of that 2nd restoration process was perfect and 100% completely a clone of my current iPhone 4 including all folders and settings.

I only use iTunes. No iCloud backups.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Unfortunately when you do a restore, all your apps load without the folders you had them organized in. You have to rebuild the folders. You have to check the boxes of the apps you want. You don't have to drag them.

Pardon? I just restored my phone about an hour ago and the folders remained intact :rolleyes:

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
He probably did not check the box that says "sync apps" is my guess.

are you saying i shouldve clicked "sync apps" BEFORE i restored from back up or after???

-EDIT- when i try to "sync apps" on my old phone before i do a back up ...it allows me to place the apps all back on the iphone preview screen but all the organizational folders i made are all missing. (some background info: when i first did my organizational folders i did it directly on the phone . i never did it through the computer)

when i click on "sync apps" after i restored from back up all the apps are randomly placed on my iphone home screen.

here is exactly what i did

1- transferred purchases from iphone 4s to itunes
2- backed up iphone 4s
3- plugged in iphone 5 chose the option to back up from iphone 4s.
4- phone restarted and i saw my photos and everything like default apps etc. but none of my downloaded apps were on the phone.
5- manually synced apps on new iphone . all apps were randomly placed on my homescreen

this is very frustrating can those of you who are successfully able to do this tell me your itune settings?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.