Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
2011 Hyundai Elantra....

I've always used the cable that came with the car. The goofy headphone/usb into 1 dock connector cable.

Still waiting for my iPhone 5, but I tried to use just the regular USB-30 pin to charge my iPhone 4 since I had just gotten a windshield mount for when I will be navigating, and noticed these same symptoms you just described.

I was unaware that I HAD to use the Hyundai cable to charge even my old iPhone 4?

silly. I really hope these 30 pin adapter cables are available soon otherwise navigating without being able to charge will not work so well

I picked up a USB car charger and that works fine in my 2012 Elantra. i hope the adapter comes out soon so we can see if it works with the Hyundai cord. i did read on the Hyundai forums that someone contacted Hyundai to see if they would be making a new one but no plans yet.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
I picked up a USB car charger and that works fine in my 2012 Elantra. i hope the adapter comes out soon so we can see if it works with the Hyundai cord. i did read on the Hyundai forums that someone contacted Hyundai to see if they would be making a new one but no plans yet.

can you elaborate?

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I have a brand new Hyundai Elantra (2013) that has a built-in USB port. I plugged in Lightning-->USB cable to my iPhone 5, expecting it to charge. Nada. The battery icon flashes like it's charging for a few seconds, stops, then runs off battery.

So then I tried my old iPhone car charger, which has an extra USB port to charge an additional device. Plugged the Lighting cable into that too. Nada.

I was hoping this would keep me charged in the car until I get the 30 PIN adapter to use with the Hyundai-specific cable (that lets me control music via the steering wheel).

I repeated this with all 4(!) Lighting cables that I've received between yesterday and today. They all work fine on my PC or wall charger.

Anyone experience this? Very frustrating.

Oh no! I don't have a USB port in my car but have an adapter and I am really hoping that it charges once I get my phone... little worried now!

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
can you elaborate?

The kind that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I got the Scosche Dual port 2.1amp. It seems to charge it just as fast as the wall charger. The steering wheel controls don't work but my bluetooth works and I used Siri to change music.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
The kind that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I got the Scosche Dual port 2.1amp. It seems to charge it just as fast as the wall charger. The steering wheel controls don't work but my bluetooth works and I used Siri to change music.

:( this is not an acceptable solution for me as I don't want to listen to low quality bluetooth streams and give up steering wheel controls on all my music :(

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I've read this entire post and it's pretty sad. Something as simple as charging has to be reinvented. Expensive cables needed to perform basic tasks such as charging and syncing. Car USB ports not charging? People spending $19 on cables and replacing car chargers that did work? That $200 iPhone just turned into $300 just to charge and use the device. And now Apple going after ebay sellers. This is madness if you ask me.

You can blame Apple for changing their whole ecosystem but this particular problem has nothing to do with Apple.
Go into any electronics retailer and you'll find USB chargers that output anywhere from over 2A to under 300mA.
There simply is no standard for chargers.
The spec for a USB data port is 500mA so that's what Apple built their phones around. Anything lower and the phone won't charge properly.
You said you read the thread so you did read the part where the OP said the phone worked just fine at home and with his computer port right?
This is a problem with this particular USB port setup pure and simple.

Last edited:

iceman027

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I also have a 2012 Hyundai elantra, I'm assuming by reading this thread, I can't just buy a lightning usb cable and plug it into the "USB" port in the car and have everything work like the cable from Hyundai?

CaCohen0509

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
I also have a 2012 Hyundai elantra, I'm assuming by reading this thread, I can't just buy a lightning usb cable and plug it into the "USB" port in the car and have everything work like the cable from Hyundai?

No. You're going to have to wait for those damn adapters. I really hope I don't loose the ability to change music through the car steering wheel and dashboard. This phone made my car obsolete :mad:

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
No. You're going to have to wait for those damn adapters. I really hope I don't loose the ability to change music through the car steering wheel and dashboard. This phone made my car obsolete :mad:

I'm getting a 2013 Elantra Coupe soon (about a week)...hoping for the best now, if not I guess I'm relegated to the aux port and a plug-in charger :/. Sigh.

petethepanda

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I have a 2010 Elantra that uses that funny y-cable. Bumping this in the hopes that a fellow Elantra owner gets the adapter and reports back whether or not it works :D

MyEmma

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I had no problems charging my iPhone 4 in my car which is a 2012 Chrysler 200, however my new iPhone 5 will not charge with the charger provided. I do believe an adapter will become available in Dec 2012...

GrumpyCat

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
You can blame Apple for changing their whole ecosystem but this particular problem has nothing to do with Apple.

Correct.

Go into any electronics retailer and you'll find USB chargers that output anywhere from over 2A to under 300mA.
There simply is no standard for chargers.

Wrong. The problem is there are so many standards to chose from. The problem you are citing is that there is no requirement for a one-size-fits-all charger. You can buy one that fits all, but not all meet that spec.

The spec for a USB data port is 500mA so that's what Apple built their phones around. Anything lower and the phone won't charge properly.

Not really. Under USB the device is allowed to draw 100 mA before asking the host/hub as to how much it is budgeted.

You said you read the thread so you did read the part where the OP said the phone worked just fine at home and with his computer port right?
This is a problem with this particular USB port setup pure and simple.

The problem is that the iPhone 5 does not find it has permission to draw the power it desires from your USB power adapter. I have an older Belkin and my iPhone 5 presented a message stating to the effect, "Charging is not compatible with this device." Very well done. No mystery. The iPhone was smart enough to know I was trying to charge it from something it couldn't accept a charge.

My how people forget sometimes. Blackberrys, and even my old bottom of the line Motorola V195 no-camera phone required a high output USB charger which was new and unusual for their day. A couple specific voltages were expected to be present on the mini USB plug, and a new 5th connector as well, all to signal to the device what power was available.

Garmin GPS's are even pickier. A resistance is expected on the 5th connector else the GPS enters connected mode and expects to be a computer peripheral. You need a special cable to charge off your vehicle.

At the moment I don't have the specs for how to wire a 500 mA charger, vs a 900 mA charger, vs a 2A charger. IIRC there are specs which the device could ask for 12V rather than 5V. And have seen others allowing up to 24V with USB3.

So quit complaining. The specs are obviously out there and some charging ports comply. I remember when the 30-pin connector replaced Firewire. Lots of complaining then about Apple proprietary connectors ...

chgadapt

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
I made some usb adapters that plug between any usb port and your ipad/iphone usb

I made some usb adapters that plug between any usb port and your ipad/iphone usb connector that allows charging from any usb port. This way you can charge from any pc, or generic wall charger, any car charger, etc. If you're interested in one let me know. I can list them on ebay or some other site.
See pictures, nothing fancy but they work perfect with any charger and or usb port

Attachments

• 20130107_012833-1.jpg
    20130107_012833-1.jpg
    869.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 20130107_012842-1.jpg
    20130107_012842-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 166

chele519

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Update on the Hyundai cable with Elantras- on 2012 you need the lightning adapter and the Hyundai cable, with 2013 you don't need either, the regular lightning cable works. These are both with non-navigation models. According to the 2013 manual, models with navigation need the hyundai cable while the non-navigation models don't.

jmg02

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
usb port only works to charge if you buy a Hyundai cable

My husband and I both have an iPhone 4S with iOS7. Neither will charge in the USB port in my 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited using the charging cord that came with our phones. I'm not trying to play music through the USB port, or have the music displayed on the screen, or use the steering wheel controls to change the music. I only want to charge my phone using the USB port.

I went to the dealership today, and apparently, the only way I can charge my phone using the USB port is to buy a special cord from Hyundai that has a combined USB connection with a headphone/auxiliary jack for $35. While I realize this isn't a lot of money, why can't I charge my phone using a usb port that is supposed to be a UNIVERSAL CHARGING PORT??!! (U.S.B. stand for Universal Serial Bus.) That way, I don't have to buy a "special" cord, I can just use the cord that came with my phone??

If you google Hyundai & usb ports, you will find a ton of articles dated October 2013 that say Hyundai is doing away with the cigarette lighter plugs in favor of usb ports. One article I read says they are doing away with the lighter itself, but not the port, but who knows. The lighter port is really just another charging outlet - a 12 volt. So Hyundai is putting in all these extra usb ports, but the only way they will work to charge (the most basic request) is if people buy a "special" cable from Hyundai that is device specific?? How is this any different from having to buy a special 12 volt cable, which is device specific, in order to charge your phone??

Another note, the Hyundai dealership said it's a good thing I still have an iPhone 4S as opposed to an iPhone 5, 5s, or 5c with the Lightning connector because Hyundai does not yet provide a Hyundai usb cable to match those devices. This is the most ridiculous engineering ever!!

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
My husband and I both have an iPhone 4S with iOS7. Neither will charge in the USB port in my 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited using the charging cord that came with our phones. I'm not trying to play music through the USB port, or have the music displayed on the screen, or use the steering wheel controls to change the music. I only want to charge my phone using the USB port.

I went to the dealership today, and apparently, the only way I can charge my phone using the USB port is to buy a special cord from Hyundai that has a combined USB connection with a headphone/auxiliary jack for $35. While I realize this isn't a lot of money, why can't I charge my phone using a usb port that is supposed to be a UNIVERSAL CHARGING PORT??!! (U.S.B. stand for Universal Serial Bus.) That way, I don't have to buy a "special" cord, I can just use the cord that came with my phone??

If you google Hyundai & usb ports, you will find a ton of articles dated October 2013 that say Hyundai is doing away with the cigarette lighter plugs in favor of usb ports. One article I read says they are doing away with the lighter itself, but not the port, but who knows. The lighter port is really just another charging outlet - a 12 volt. So Hyundai is putting in all these extra usb ports, but the only way they will work to charge (the most basic request) is if people buy a "special" cable from Hyundai that is device specific?? How is this any different from having to buy a special 12 volt cable, which is device specific, in order to charge your phone??

Another note, the Hyundai dealership said it's a good thing I still have an iPhone 4S as opposed to an iPhone 5, 5s, or 5c with the Lightning connector because Hyundai does not yet provide a Hyundai usb cable to match those devices. This is the most ridiculous engineering ever!!

Nothing about this story makes sense.
Go get a friend's phone or iPod or whatever (doesn't have to be an Apple device) and see if it charges using the friend's cable.
If it does then there's nothing wrong with the USB port and no cable that Hyundai is going to provide is going to magically make it work with your iPhone.
The USB port might be too underpowered for the iPhone (a lot of USB ports are 300mA and the iPhone needs 500mA) but again, no Hyundai cable is going to suddenly make it more powerful.
There are adapters that you can get to increase the amperage but you can get those from anywhere you find one (Dealextreme, etc.) -- doesn't have to be from Hyundai.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.