Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Turning to Select Retail Store Employees to Help Improve Maps for iOS 6

MacRumors has learned that Apple is piloting a program to tap into its vast number of retail store employees to help improve the company's new Maps app for iOS 6. Details on the initiative remain unclear, but multiple sources have indicated that participating stores will dedicate 40 hours of staff time per week, distributed among a number of employees, to manually examine Apple's mapping data in their areas and submit corrections and improvements. ifoAppleStore posted a Tweet a short time ago indicating that it too has received information on the effort.

It is unknown exactly what procedures will be used to examine the data, whether it simply be side-by-side comparisons with Google Maps data or if more sophisticated efforts such as in-person verification will be used. One source has indicated that a team of ten employees would be participating in the program at one store, with one of those employees being designated a "subject matter expert" to oversee the team and receiving training on how the team will operate. Changes to maps will reportedly be submitted through a dedicated internal portal on Apple's systems.

Apple's new Maps app for iOS 6 has received significant criticism since its launch, with Apple CEO Tim Cook finding it necessary to publish an open letter late last week to apologize for the app's shortcomings and to suggest alternative mapping solutions while Apple works to improve its own maps.

Apple is reportedly aggressively hiring former Google Maps employees in its efforts to quickly improve its new mapping services, but much of the criticism has related to incorrect point-of-interest locations and other data best verified in the field or by those with intimate knowledge of a given area. Apple's network of nearly 400 retail stores represents nearly 40,000 employees scattered across more than a dozen countries, making it an ideal resource for assisting with mapping improvements.

Article Link: Apple Turning to Select Retail Store Employees to Help Improve Maps for iOS 6
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:34 AM   #2
jrath1
macrumors member

Not sure how I feel about this. Some of the store employees are clueless.
jrath1 is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:34 AM   #3
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Gee, I hope they're not relying on store drones to update the maps... surely something as important as maps require a more highly trained (and dedicated) employee.
coolspot18 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:34 AM   #4
davidec
macrumors regular

I guess there is enough of them to help get things right
davidec is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:35 AM   #5
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

It's a good idea, but why do this when MILLIONS of people are already doing it on their own iOS 6 device?
gmanist1000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:35 AM   #6
obafgkm
macrumors member

Of course, in the (many) areas where there aren't Apple Stores, this won't be of any help.

In the (typically urban) areas where there are Apple Stores, this will help somewhat.
obafgkm is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:35 AM   #7
samcraig
macrumors G5

Something about this just sounds funny to me. I am sure they have other resources working on this as well. But the idea that they are creating teams from Apple Store employees just strikes me as funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

MacRumors has learned that Apple is piloting a program to tap into its vast number of retail store employees to help improve the company's new Maps app for iOS 6. Details on the initiative remain unclear, but multiple sources have indicated that participating stores will dedicate 40 hours of staff time per week, distributed among a number of employees, to manually examine Apple's mapping data in their areas and submit corrections and improvements.

It is unknown exactly what procedures will be used to examine the data, whether it simply be side-by-side comparisons with Google Maps data or if more sophisticated efforts such as in-person verification will be used. One source has indicated that a team of ten employees would be participating in the program at one store, with one of those employees being designated a "subject matter expert" to oversee the team and receiving training on how the team will operate. Changes to maps will reportedly be submitted through a dedicated internal portal on Apple's systems.

Apple's new Maps app for iOS 6 has received significant criticism since its launch, with Apple CEO Tim Cook finding it necessary to publish an open letter late last week to apologize for the app's shortcomings and to suggest alternative mapping solutions while Apple works to improve its own maps.

Apple is reportedly aggressively hiring former Google Maps employees in its efforts to quickly improve its new mapping services, but much of the criticism has related to incorrect point-of-interest locations and other data best verified in the field or by those with intimate knowledge of a given area. Apple's network of nearly 400 retail stores represents nearly 40,000 employees scattered across more than a dozen countries, making it an ideal source for assisting with mapping improvements

Article Link: Apple Turning to Select Retail Store Employees to Help Improve Maps for iOS 6
samcraig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:35 AM   #8
needfx
macrumors 68020

when all else fails
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:35 AM   #9
ECUpirate44
Banned

To the forum member who suggested this days ago and then was blasted for the idea, you were right.

Last edited by ECUpirate44; Oct 3, 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Grammar
ECUpirate44 is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:36 AM   #10
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

What's with the worrying? It's probably just "Go here. Look at our maps, verify location first-hand. Verify with Google Maps. Is the info correct?"

Easy stuff.
RoboCop001 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
It's a good idea, but why do this when MILLIONS of people are already doing it on their own iOS 6 device?
A recent report had apple maps usage at just 4% (and even those who spot errors may not report them). I am guessing that Apple's initial plan of relying on consumer loyalty didn't quite pan out.
Abazigal is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:39 AM   #12
gluckett
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
It still has to be verified and updated, correct? I have submitted problems and the errors are still there.
gluckett is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:39 AM   #13
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

"its vast number of retail store employees"

Does it have a vast number? 60k isn't nothing but I'm not sure it is vast either.
unlinked is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Danindub
macrumors member

Why don't they just follow up with our error reports??

I personally submitted hundreds, since launch. Not a single one was corrected, some of them gaining bit publicity...
Danindub is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:40 AM   #15
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

This seems like a good opportunity to expand upon local data.

Hopefully, by recruiting the people who are passionate to help Apple whether retail employees or even the end users themselves we can make Maps a stronger competitor to Google.
ziggyonice is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:40 AM   #16
AtHomeBoy_2000
macrumors 6502a

"manually examine Apple's mapping data in their areas and submit corrections and improvements."

So, the areas around Apple stores will be SUPER accurate, but Iowa... not so much.
AtHomeBoy_2000 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:41 AM   #17
nws0291
macrumors 6502

All the hipsters they pick will hide all their favorite hangout spots so no one can find them.
nws0291 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:42 AM   #18
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Hmm, 40.000 against a potential 10s - 100s of million users, which one would be better.

Edit: 10s - 100s of million users if Apple had a web based Maps and an easy way to report incorrect data.

Last edited by justperry; Oct 3, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
justperry is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:42 AM   #19
kjs862
macrumors 65816

seem like a good idea to me.
kjs862 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:42 AM   #20
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I had my first maps issue yesterday. I told it to take me to Tijuana Flats (restaurant.) It found the one I wanted and I let it navigate me. I ended up in a residential neighborhood.

Luckily I had been there once before and when I was pulling out of the neighborhood I saw the shopping center down the road. I submitted the correction.

Looking at the map they have the address correct, but the pin is one block over which puts it inside of a neighborhood.

And for those saying you need highly trained employees - these people are checking map data, not creating the maps application. Essentially they are like the Google street view drivers. Just follow the directions and drive your car.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:43 AM   #21
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHomeBoy_2000 View Post
"manually examine Apple's mapping data in their areas and submit corrections and improvements."

So, the areas around Apple stores will be SUPER accurate, but Iowa... not so much.
Luckily, Iowa has no points of interest.
lowbatteries is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:43 AM   #22
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

This.

I'm in little ole' England, pretty central too as it happens yet I'm still about an hour's drive from any Apple store, guess my maps won't be "fixed" by these Geniuses...
Jimrod is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:43 AM   #23
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
"its vast number of retail store employees"

Does it have a vast number? 60k isn't nothing but I'm not sure it is vast either.
It's not even 60K who work in the retail stores worldwide.

And that would assume all of them would work on this - which they aren't based on the article.
samcraig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:43 AM   #24
oldcelt
macrumors regular

Quote:

Nor much of other countries outside large cities.
My nearest stores are at least an hour's drive in any direction.
oldcelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 08:43 AM   #25
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
What's with the worrying? It's probably just "Go here. Look at our maps, verify location first-hand. Verify with Google Maps. Is the info correct?"

Easy stuff.
True. When Google touts its huge team working on its own maps, do people assume they each have a Ph.D. in digital cartography? Many of them just need a drivers license.
doelcm82 is offline   11 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion