Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:38 AM   #26
citi
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
This isn't about money, it's about keeping all of your talent happy. If it really was that bad, you do whatever you have to, to keep your talent in house. The last thing you want is 3 or 4 senior HARDWARE guys going to google/samsung/Nokia.

Business 101 folks
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:38 AM   #27
NAG
macrumors 68030

If this is indeed an extended transition period it doesn't seem that weird. I'm still curious as to why he was leaving as this doesn't address it at all.
NAG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:39 AM   #28
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

So another decision Tim Cook has been forced to backtrack on? Lacking EPEAT certifications causing a storm, Maps causing a storm, and now this, only an internal storm for a change. I'm surprised it took an insurrection from Apple employees in order for him to realize what he should have known in advance. This is really his job. I feel that Cook is still adjusting to his new position and isn't quite as "smooth" as I hope he will be in the future.

Anyway, having a transition period certainly makes sense and is common in this business.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:39 AM   #29
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
Things with Apple haven't sit right with me lately.
I don't see how thins points to anything bad for Apple. Someone wanted to retire; his former employees didn't feel the replacement was ready, so they talked to management about it. Management decided to make an offer the retiring person to keep him on board for a while until a transition was worked out. This isn't something that's unique to Apple...though the amount of cash involved likely is.

There's a lot of times in the corporate world where someone decides to leave, is offered a substantial pay increase and decides to stay. I think in this case it was less about keeping Mansfield and more about keeping the people that had been working under him. To keep those employees, they needed to keep Mansfield around for a while. What's the big deal?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:40 AM   #30
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Yeah

I always liked the guy - he always seemed like "yeah, I might not be the cutest or the tallest but I have a brain the size of a planet".

Down to earth. 2 million a month? Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:40 AM   #31
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Steve Jobs was so successful because he was a hard task master. He wasn't your friend or your confident, he was the boss. He would shout and scream, bully people and fire them at the drop of a hat. Tim Cook is learning the hard way that it's tough at the top.
Shaun, UK is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:41 AM   #32
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Seems to me the bigger question is will Riccio be up to the job? If they're paying Mansfield top dollar to stay on the complaints had to be pretty loud and legit. I wonder what exactly the concerns with Riccio were/are?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:42 AM   #33
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
Sucks that people's personal lives and decisions get exploited like this. It's nobody's business.
This is an article about who is reporting to whom within a publicly-traded company.

What part of that is their "personal lives?"

Had it talked about what Bob wanted to do at home when he left Apple, then sure. But I don't see that anywhere in there.
Small White Car is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:42 AM   #34
Hakone
macrumors 6502

$2M/month, plus stocks somewhere for his time there.

Sitting up there w/ Pro athletes and such!
Hakone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:44 AM   #35
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Maybe if I threaten to retire from my practice group...nah!!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:46 AM   #36
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
So another decision Tim Cook has been forced to backtrack on?
He wasn't fired by Cook, he was leaving on his own.

I guess if I was in my mid-50s, wanted to retire, and they offered $24m/yr to halfway work.....I'd say yes, too.
JAT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:46 AM   #37
CindyRed
macrumors member

Still have faith

Tim Cook's actions show that he's listening to the important members of his engineering team, the life blood of Apple. It goes to show you that there's an enormous difference between the "Jobless" years of John Sculley's Apple and the "Jobless" era of Tim Cook's Apple.
CindyRed is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:50 AM   #38
StoneJack
macrumors 6502

This is not his salary, this is a payment for consulting services and good consultants are extremely pricey (try to hire a usual legal firm for consulting and you will understand what it means).
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:53 AM   #39
shulerg
macrumors regular

What I'd like to know is: was Riccio being apprenticed for the lead role by Mansfield over the past few years? If not, why? Regardless, seems like good outcome to keep him on.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:53 AM   #40
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Sounds like there is trouble abrewing in the Apple world. Not good for a guy like me who owns ONLY apple products
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:56 AM   #41
jennyp
macrumors 6502

two million a month .. yeah thanks for the grey smudges on my imac bob
jennyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:56 AM   #42
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrat View Post
I don't see how thins points to anything bad for Apple. Someone wanted to retire; his former employees didn't feel the replacement was ready, so they talked to management about it. Management decided to make an offer the retiring person to keep him on board for a while until a transition was worked out. This isn't something that's unique to Apple...though the amount of cash involved likely is.

There's a lot of times in the corporate world where someone decides to leave, is offered a substantial pay increase and decides to stay. I think in this case it was less about keeping Mansfield and more about keeping the people that had been working under him. To keep those employees, they needed to keep Mansfield around for a while. What's the big deal?
Things just don't sit right, just my feeling.
kjs862 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #43
NAG
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
Things just don't sit right, just my feeling.
I'd suggest investing in a good chair. Or maybe go with a standing desk because those are trendy these days.
NAG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:59 AM   #44
citi
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdakilla View Post
Sounds like there is trouble abrewing in the Apple world. Not good for a guy like me who owns ONLY apple products
There's no trouble...there's the MEDIA. This happens all the time, the Media just makes it seem like it's strange and new.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:01 AM   #45
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
Why? All smart companies do that for their most valuable employees; they can't stop anyone from quitting or retiring, but what they can do is keep them as advisors or consultants onboard.
You’re forgetting: Apple has "just recently” begun a “downward spiral” every month since 1984. Apple is always just now teetering on the brink of doom and always will be (to some). Every product they release will always be worse than the one before, every mistake will be some entirely new class of blunder that could never have been made before, and every innovation will be trivial (even though everyone will copy it). A steady downward trend that has never stopped and never will
nagromme is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:02 AM   #46
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by citi View Post
This isn't about money, it's about keeping all of your talent happy. If it really was that bad, you do whatever you have to, to keep your talent in house. The last thing you want is 3 or 4 senior HARDWARE guys going to google/samsung/Nokia.

Business 101 folks
Whenever someone says, "it's not about the money," it's about the money.

Life 101, folks.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:02 AM   #47
moorezilla
macrumors newbie

lol... 2 million a month and still no new MacMini? What a waste... get a hardware guy who will give the little desktop some love.
moorezilla is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:04 AM   #48
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora View Post
Can't say this is the "beginning of the end", but it surely isn't business as usual. Things are definitely changing - who knows if it's for the better or worse.
Everything changes. It looks like there is some whinning by the execs/engineers who thought someone else should have gotten the job.

So, Cook is just buying time until he can figure out the best way to transition the job.

----------

Quote:

Business 101 folks
Agreed....this is exactly how I see what is going on.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:09 AM   #49
gugy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentS View Post
2 Million a month!!?? That's a lot of dough to stay on! Dang!!!

Mansfield: "If they would have just offerred me 2 weeks more vacation, I would have took it!" ha ha
He must be worth. Good for him.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:11 AM   #50
tdream
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Business 101 folks
If it wasn't about money then why did he come back?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion