Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
[...] People from that same time that actually understand and have a passion for computers can do a much better job, but they seem outnumbered by huge numbers of incompetant IT people.
I know. We are in the same boat. Not in the same field though.

But I don't complain, more freelance jobs for us! :)

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
If I could I would urge people never to touch Microsoft Exchange due to the fact that admins have the ability to wipe your phone with one click and no permission.

What a buncha ******** that is...

That is what I am concerning about. My company's admins forced anyone who uses the exchange server to have a password on its phone. Why do I have to set a system-wise password just to access to one of my many mail accounts?

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
who the hell still uses exchange Jeeps! :eek:

pls join the 21st century

it's not 1995 anymore

Somebody needs to phone IMAP with the news.

Lots of people are using Exchange (protocol) without actually using Exchange, because it some ways it is superior to IMAP, and can send push notifications to iOS.

For example, I use Rackspace email. I enabled the option to be able to use Exchange protocol. It's not really using Exchange. It just gives access to my IMAP data over Exchange protocol, so now I can get push and the iPhone email client doesn't need to poll the server.

IMAP has no provision for push. You get instant notifications on your desktop email client only because your client is constantly connected to the server.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Why do I have to set a system-wise password just to access to one of my many mail accounts?

iOS needs to have the ability to sandbox private from work like BB10. That way if your work admin wipes your work stuff it won't affect your private data.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA

it's not 1995 anymore

And what, exactly, would you recommend instead? There are few, if any, well-supported alternatives for integrated calendar, e-mail, and presence services (particularly ones that tie in with AD or something similar). Also, Exchange was still a baby in 1995. You must be thinking of something else.

vkramer

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Neither iCloud nor Exchange ask the phone for permission before wiping it, so I'm not sure why you're suggesting one over the other for that reason.

With iCloud you can choose to wipe your phone, with Exchange some ******* IT guy can wipe your phone without you asking.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
I see this as an Exchange problem. This is a privilege escalation issue. How can _I_ affect the other user's statuses? The problem might be triggered by iOS 6, but it seems to be an underlying issue with Exchange. This shouldn't be able to happen.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
iOS needs to have the ability to sandbox private from work like BB10. That way if your work admin wipes your work stuff it won't affect your private data.

I have actually sent a feature request to Apple long ago...

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Edumacate us then:

Already stated. It's not "taking a virus infected machine and cleaning it", it's "see that desktop computer over there? Not any more because I just set fire to it."

I think it's acceptable to have IT director approve smartphone wipes, more to track hardware that was lost than the loss of irreplaceable data. We have systems to regularly track approval processes and I'd be shocked if you didn't as well.

Again, if I was in your organization, I'd be lobbying for apps that didn't silo data on smartphones (any smartphones) to begin with.

Data is one aspect of it. There are others, including vulnerability to legal action against the organization. As well as the fact that such a wipe is likely to be attached to a larger issue - it doesn't just happen in isolation. In the case of simply a lost device, that's the easier scenario, because nobody's going to complain. Except maybe the person who found it and decided to keep it. But wiping a device that is not lost is likely to be related to a larger disciplinary or legal investigation (firing, etc), and falls into the same boat as locking someone out of their office, locking their account and confiscating their laptop. You gotta have your ducks in a row, or stuff hits the fan.

OK, picking up on your edited post. That's the cost of BYOD in the enterprise. Users have to understand how and why they need to backup their phones, and that losing it with corporate data means the phone has to be wiped.

Losing a device is not the problem. The guy who originally went all tin foil-hat about Exchange wipes was saying that:

admins have the ability to wipe your phone with one click and no permission.

You lose your device, and you'll probably be grateful for the wipe - you'll probably even be the one requesting it - just like with iCloud Find My iPhone wipes. But for unwanted wipes, you're entering your organization's security enforcement policy.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Well that answers an issue we're seeing. :D

----------

it's not 1995 anymore

Any self-respecting business. This isn't your mom's pie shack, join the 21st century.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I would hope a company of these sizes would not be recommending any x.0 software updates.

Problem is Apple pushes an update on the user's device and they just updated despite what we tell them. Especially when a majority of the iOS devices are BYOD, not company owned.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
This has actually been an issue for a long time -- with iOS 5 and 4. It's been REALLY embarrassing. Frankly, I'm glad it is finally getting attention.

Mike.L

macrumors newbie
Exchange & Corporate Email/Calendars

This issue exists across several enterprise exchanges. I've seen it do some quirky stuff with Lotus Calendar and Google Apps Calendar. I don't think it's entirely Apple's fault but the use of Exchange by the vendors and companies personal preferences.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Edumacate us then:

I think it's acceptable to have IT director approve smartphone wipes, more to track hardware that was lost than the loss of irreplaceable data. We have systems to regularly track approval processes and I'd be shocked if you didn't as well.

Again, if I was in your organization, I'd be lobbying for apps that didn't silo data on smartphones (any smartphones) to begin with.

OK, picking up on your edited post. That's the cost of BYOD in the enterprise. Users have to understand how and why they need to backup their phones, and that losing it with corporate data means the phone has to be wiped.

Oooh, I need to get into this conversation. ;)

I'm currently lobbying for several things to happen here in our company re: mobile device security. I work for a very large company and the mobile device security is pretty much a joke. They set policies like encrypt external storage devices, but forget to encrypt the device itself. Then to top it the check the option to all non-provisioned devices to connect. :eek: THEN, they provide hundreds of mobile device to users that don't support encryption. WOW...I just can't get over some of the things I see here. They go overboard in security in one area while leaving another area completely vulnerable. SMH...

----------

I'm calling BS on the whole story until we at least know which "Fortune 500 Company" this is.

Mine for one.

Last edited:

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
That is what I am concerning about. My company's admins forced anyone who uses the exchange server to have a password on its phone. Why do I have to set a system-wise password just to access to one of my many mail accounts?

Because your company owns the data and wants to keep it secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.