Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacewolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
For existing icloud users with an @me.com email address that will receive an @icloud.com email address;

Will user@icloud.com become the main apple ID while user@me.com becomes an alias or

Will user@me.com stay the main apple ID while user@icloud.com becomes an alias or

Will both be equal or

Can you choose?

I'm not talking about the email address here precisely but for Apple ID purposes.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Either can be used to log into any services that ask for the AppleID. Technically, the @me.com one should remain your primary AppleID, but since they can be used interchangeably for that purpose, it's kind of a moot point.

jW

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
@me used to be my default, but now it's switched to @icloud and there's no option to switch it back. Kinda annoying having to switch it every time I send an email.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
@me used to be my default, but now it's switched to @icloud and there's no option to switch it back. Kinda annoying having to switch it every time I send an email.

How did you get yours to switch to @icloud? Did it happen automatically or did you go in and make it the default yourself? I see that my @icloud is listed now but it doesn't work if I try and send an email to it. I also haven't received the email from Apple saying it is available yet.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
How did you get yours to switch to @icloud? Did it happen automatically or did you go in and make it the default yourself? I see that my @icloud is listed now but it doesn't work if I try and send an email to it. I also haven't received the email from Apple saying it is available yet.

It did it on its own, either when I switched to iOS 6 or the iP5. Not sure which, both happened within a day. My @icloud won't send or receive. It's just listed as the default email when I compose a message and the @me is not in option to choose in Settings->Mail,Contacts,Calendars. My @gmail and my work email are options, but I prefer my @me as the default. Are you saying yours is not defaulted to @icloud?

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I'm still waiting to get the notification that I have an @icloud.com address. Whenever I try to mail to it, it gets rejected. I really would like to have it because I have never liked @me.com.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
@icloud shows up for me now on iCloud.com, and I can log in using it, but email sent to it still bounces. Getting close though (no email notification yet).

jW

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
It did it on its own, either when I switched to iOS 6 or the iP5. Not sure which, both happened within a day. My @icloud won't send or receive. It's just listed as the default email when I compose a message and the @me is not in option to choose in Settings->Mail,Contacts,Calendars. My @gmail and my work email are options, but I prefer my @me as the default. Are you saying yours is not defaulted to @icloud?

Mines isn't defaulted to @icloud but if I got to icloud.com and the settings for the webmail app, I can choose to make it the default if I remember correctly. It's also listed when I go to appleid.apple.com and attempt to manage my Apple ID.

You should be able to change it in one of those two places.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Mines isn't defaulted to @icloud but if I got to icloud.com and the settings for the webmail app, I can choose to make it the default if I remember correctly. It's also listed when I go to appleid.apple.com and attempt to manage my Apple ID.

You should be able to change it in one of those two places.

Aha! I was able to change it at iCloud.com. I made the @me account the primary one. And all is right with the world once more. Thanks!

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
I did nothing and a few days ago @icloud just appeared on all of my macs + devices in iMessages

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010

Yes there is.

Settings.app > iCloud > Account > Mail > Email

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I still only use my @mac.com address. Works the best.

That's what I use myself.

@icloud shows up for me now on iCloud.com, and I can log in using it, but email sent to it still bounces. Getting close though (no email notification yet).

jW

Looks like they're enabling or already have enabled the icloud email addresses. I like this much better then @me and never used that one. I can live with @icloud but my @mac email address is so highly used in so many places I hope they never turn it off.

xeno3d

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2012
Still waiting for my @icloud notification...... 12/26/12

My wife's is active already.....

We have had our apple ids for like 7 years now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.