Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
It's more convenient to swipe to open the card directly from the lock screen instead of unlocking then going to the Starbucks app then waiting for it to load. True, it saves mere seconds, but convenience is convenience all the same.

Apologies if this is a dumb question but as I don't have Passbook yet I don't know. Wouldn't you still have to swipe thru your list of Passbook cards though to find it? Whereas with the standalone app I know exactly where to find it.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
The 1st Starbucks! Love that place! :D

Ugh. Such a **** storm down there for terrible coffee. So many excellent places in Seattle. Hell, Seattle Coffee Works a block up on Pike is miles ahead of Starbucks.

Really I am just butt hurt because I want to buy local produce, flowers and goods without all the tourists pissing on my bonfire.

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Apologies if this is a dumb question but as I don't have Passbook yet I don't know. Wouldn't you still have to swipe thru your list of Passbook cards though to find it? Whereas with the standalone app I know exactly where to find it.

No. Once you swipe to open from the lock screen, Passbook opens and displays the correct pass.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Same here. Not too surprised given that clicking on the app store link in Passbook still generates a "can't connect to iTunes store" error.

Temporarily change your date/time settings to 2013, open passbook, click on the App Store link to connect, and if it connects, change your date/time back to 2012.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I use the Starbucks locator in the app quite a lot when travelling - I assume it is kept up-to-date.

Starbucks locator? lol In Toronto everybody has 2 Starbucks locators: our eyes. 8)
There a Starbucks at every block.

Passbook is an app consolidator for apps who's sole purpose is to display loyalty cards.

----------

Don't you still need the app to manage the card?

The balance will update in Passbook. To add money to the card, you can do so in the Starbucks app but I've never used that function, I add money to my card at the register.

iorangutan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Cool - Shame they don't make decent coffee

All very well, but they'll need to make something other than buckets of milky slop

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Why no support for Canada? Their app internally supports storing of a Canadian card for scanning so why can't they integrate that with passbook?

I used my Canadian gold Starbucks card in the US and I even did a reload there when I was there earlier.

This smells like laziness on the part of their developers.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
After adding this to passbook I notice that the GPS comes on for a second or two every time I unlock the phone. I'd guess that could cause a pretty big hit in battery life. I'll probably wind up disabling location services for passbook.

RyanG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Yeah, if they don't update it to where you can scan your cards or even add a lot mor retailers/businesses I'm afraid it's going to be forgotten very quickly. Kind of like Ping :(

Kinda confused - doesn't passbook allow them to scan your "card" without the physical card being present?

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
After adding this to passbook I notice that the GPS comes on for a second or two every time I unlock the phone. I'd guess that could cause a pretty big hit in battery life. I'll probably wind up disabling location services for passbook.

Alternatively, you can go into the Starbucks pass and turn off "Show on Lock Screen."

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Finally!

Being as I fly maybe once a year and don't use fandango, it's nice to be able to use this feature! I bought a $10 starbucks card just to try it out.

This. I actually did the exact same thing, for the same amount of money, for exactly the same reason!

Apple fanboys tend to think alike, huh? After all, how could I have that prominent Passbook app on the front page of my new iPhone 5 and not use it?

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Ugh. Such a **** storm down there for terrible coffee. So many excellent places in Seattle. Hell, Seattle Coffee Works a block up on Pike is miles ahead of Starbucks.

Really I am just butt hurt because I want to buy local produce, flowers and goods without all the tourists pissing on my bonfire.

Just stay the hell away from Pike's. Plenty of local produce to be had along the I-5 corridor.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Kinda confused - doesn't passbook allow them to scan your "card" without the physical card being present?

Yes, I meant scan your cards into Passbook one time rather than installing the store's app, registering through the app, entering your card info into the app and then finally importing/exporting into Passbook.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Here here! Location services murders battery life.

I disagree. From my experience, the phone only pings your location when you wake it from sleep. I could be wrong, but that's how it seems to work on the iPhone 5.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I used Passbook with Fandango and it was seamless. Target app also supports it for coupons. So much better idea than carrying coupons with you.

I loaded the latest Target coupons on it tonight from the app while I was there. Ended up saving $7 on five items worth maybe $15 or $20 before the discount. MUCH better than keeping up with paper coupons.

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
They did. Check it out for yourself. It starts at 93:00 into the keynote. Scott Forstall made a pretty big deal out of it.

I don't know what WWDC keynote you were watching, but all Forstall talked about were passes taken from pre-existing apps. Nowhere did he ever talk about manually adding in your own passes by taking pictures of them or whatever.

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Awesome, must admit I was really waiting for this. Just hope Delta and a few others aren't too far away.

----------

I loaded the latest Target coupons on it tonight from the app while I was there. Ended up saving $7 on five items worth maybe $15 or $20 before the discount. MUCH better than keeping up with paper coupons.

Do the coupons come from the Target app ? Or can you scan paper coupons; web coupons ?

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I just don't understand how to use passbook. Usually this stuff is seamless but i'm at a loss.

So i updated Fandango. My credit card and account are linked to the app and nothing shows up in passbook.

Is it that once I buy a movie ticket through fandango that specific ticket through fandango will pop up as a card in passbook?

So fandango lives outside of passbook and once I buy a movie it temporarily lives inside of passbook?

So if your starbucks card has zero balance it won't show up in passbook but once you have cash on it a card shows up in passbook?

If that is true than apple should create two passbooks and the wallet thing spins around. One side shows all your cards with $ balances, tickets booked, coupons etc and the other side just shows all enabled apps for passbook regardless of if they are "live" or have a $ balance etc. As of right now i have no idea which apps are passbook enabled and i'd like to see all of them in the app like a regular wallet.

Last edited:

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Exactly. I just don't get whats so cool about having it in Passbook. :confused:

Then maybe you two shouldn't use it.

As for me when I goto pay for my coffee, all I have to do is swipe from the lock screen. ONE SWIPE vs swipe to unlock/find app/launch app

Get it yet?

Balaamsdonkey

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
Washington
I used Passbook with Fandango and it was seamless. Target app also supports it for coupons. So much better idea than carrying coupons with you.

I recently bought a couple of tickets from Ticketmaster to a football game. Before the Starbucks support for Passbook came out I tried the feature out and it just lead me to download separate apps. I bit and downloaded the Ticketmaster one and signed in to it. It has never integrated in with Passbook. Am I missing something here? I'd love to be able to use this when I go to the game instead of opening the tickets in mail and saving screens of the barcodes on the phone, and the app it self won't let you use it as tickets enven though it knows I bought them.

Has anyone tried this yet? Also, does anyone know if you can delete the app you're forced into downloading to get the service to run through Passbook for it to continue to run?

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I just don't understand how to use passbook. Usually this stuff is seamless but i'm at a loss.

So i updated Fandango. My credit card and account are linked to the app and nothing shows up in passbook.

Is it that once I buy a movie ticket through fandango that specific ticket through fandango will pop up as a card in passbook?

So fandango lives outside of passbook and once I buy a movie it temporarily lives inside of passbook?

So if your starbucks card has zero balance it won't show up in passbook but once you have cash on it a card shows up in passbook?

Movie tickets from Fandango in Passbook are only supported if the movie theater you're going to supports mobile ticketing. If it doesn't, then you can't add it to Passbook. (Likewise, you can't use mobile ticketing through the Fandango app either, so this isn't a Passbook restriction. Blame your theater for not supporting mobile ticketing.)

Your ticket purchased through Fandango will only show up once you've tapped "Add to Passbook" through the Fandango app--again, contingent on your chosen theater supporting mobile ticketing.

Your Starbucks card can have a balance of 0 on it and you can still add it to Passbook, and it will still show up in Passbook. You just need to reload the card either through the Starbucks app or by going to Starbucks and having them reload it for you. You add your Starbucks card through the Starbucks app (Card > Manage > Add Card to Passbook).

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

No, they remain independent apps. What happens when you click an "add to Passbook" button in an app is that the app sends a small file to the Passbook app that describes the pass/coupon/ticket. It contains for example a barcode image, colors/icons, a description of the fields visible on the card, and information that tells Passbook how to process push updates (e.g. changes of the balance) and when to show the card on the lock screen. The card then lives in Passbook independently of the app that you used to add it.

It is also possible to add cards without an app, e.g. from an email attachment or by downloading the above mentioned description file from a web site using Safari (this is how sites like Passsource work).

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Movie tickets from Fandango in Passbook are only supported if the movie theater you're going to supports mobile ticketing. If it doesn't, then you can't add it to Passbook. (Likewise, you can't use mobile ticketing through the Fandango app either, so this isn't a Passbook restriction. Blame your theater for not supporting mobile ticketing.)

Your ticket purchased through Fandango will only show up once you've tapped "Add to Passbook" through the Fandango app--again, contingent on your chosen theater supporting mobile ticketing.

Your Starbucks card can have a balance of 0 on it and you can still add it to Passbook, and it will still show up in Passbook. You just need to reload the card either through the Starbucks app or by going to Starbucks and having them reload it for you. You add your Starbucks card through the Starbucks app (Card > Manage > Add Card to Passbook).

thanks for the response. that was really helpful. So what we need to happen for this to really be successful is to get all these retailers on board. I still think that all enabled passbook apps should show up in the passbook in some form regardless if they work or not. Like fandango or tickemaster should just show up in the passbook even if i don't have any tickets purchased yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.